Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava as dating app?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava as dating app?

Old 07-10-20, 10:41 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wonder if this is point where I reveal that both sets of my parents (biological and adoptive) were interracial couples, that I was raised mostly in incredibly diverse environments (e.g., my neighborhood and most of my schools) and, therefore, harbor no feelings of hatred to anyone based on race, national origin, etc.

I spend a lot of time in the sun, so I’m glad I’m not pasty. I’m also glad I’m not poor. That doesn’t make me a “classist.”
I think you quoted the wrong post in this response.
Old 07-10-20, 10:48 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Man I'm getting old, I used to meet women the old fashioned way...….In bars.

I guess the dating scene has changed in 35 yrs.
Old 07-10-20, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I think you quoted the wrong post in this response.
Naw. Just poorly worded the first sentence. Should have written something like "reveal to him..."
Old 07-11-20, 02:06 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
Is it any great wonder more women aren't into cycling? Jesus, just let them ride.
Maybe not in your area but I've seen more women cycling now than the past 3 years or so.
Old 07-11-20, 02:08 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Man I'm getting old, I used to meet women the old fashioned way...….In bars.

I guess the dating scene has changed in 35 yrs.
What if some people aren't into the bar scenes or are light/non-drinkers? I've never met women in bars or clubs before and don't drink.
Old 07-11-20, 05:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I'd not want to meet a female in the bars in the local-ish area. The ones drinking, getting white claw trashed; There's a reason as to why the single female is there [in the local-ish establishments] & it is not to be a self-respecting individual. Maybe 20 years ago it was fine, but now... it's just a person with a lot of baggage.
Old 07-11-20, 06:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yes. You hear that from women all the time. Why, oh why, aren't there more men around me while I'm running, or at the grocery store, or walking down the street, or at the gym. It's a real problem you're addressing, for certain. Good on you.
If strava had a meet others/dating option, then it would obviously be an optional opt-in feature since it wouldn't apply to the massive % of users who are married or in long term relationships.
Since it would be optional, any women who choose to participate in the dating option would clearly want to meet others. This then renders your comments moot.

And if strava were to switch entirely to a dating app, then those who use is would know it is a dating app and the complaints you mention wouldn't happen since women using strava would know it and therefore want to use it.

Either way, the hypothetical scenario neednt play out in dramatic fashion like you claim.
Old 07-11-20, 06:38 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
What if some people aren't into the bar scenes or are light/non-drinkers? I've never met women in bars or clubs before and don't drink.
Thanks for sharing. Try lightening up, it wasn't meant to be a serious post.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-11-20, 06:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
If they marketed an add-on dating module available for premium members, maybe they could solve their financial problems.
Old 07-11-20, 06:55 PM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If strava had a meet others/dating option, then it would obviously be an optional opt-in feature since it wouldn't apply to the massive % of users who are married or in long term relationships.
Since it would be optional, any women who choose to participate in the dating option would clearly want to meet others. This then renders your comments moot.

And if strava were to switch entirely to a dating app, then those who use is would know it is a dating app and the complaints you mention wouldn't happen since women using strava would know it and therefore want to use it.

Either way, the hypothetical scenario neednt play out in dramatic fashion like you claim.
Naturally, if you change entirely the way Strava is set up, I agree, yes, it would of course eliminate the creepiness of it all. But the fact is, Strava is a bike app, marketed to and used by bike riders, for bike riding purposes. No one has signed up, agreed to, or asked to be hit on, stalked, or otherwise even politely approached for dating purposes through the app, and therefore should not be. End of story.
Old 07-11-20, 07:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I'd not want to meet a female in the bars in the local-ish area. The ones drinking, getting white claw trashed; There's a reason as to why the single female is there [in the local-ish establishments] & it is not to be a self-respecting individual. Maybe 20 years ago it was fine, but now... it's just a person with a lot of baggage.
Sounds like a rough neighborhood. 😀
Old 07-11-20, 07:16 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
strava seems like an excellent vehicle to meet people like u for dates. if say your a handsome lady, great build good tan nice bike better kit than most who seeks same but a dude. >>>>>>>>>>> why not strava.
thoughts?
... why on earth strava if you are a handsome lady, great build good tan nice bike better kit than mostwho seeks dude
Old 07-11-20, 07:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Naturally, if you change entirely the way Strava is set up, I agree, yes, it would of course eliminate the creepiness of it all. But the fact is, Strava is a bike app, marketed to and used by bike riders, for bike riding purposes. No one has signed up, agreed to, or asked to be hit on, stalked, or otherwise even politely approached for dating purposes through the app, and therefore should not be. End of story.
Its a discussion of a hypothetical scenario.
Strava wouldn't need to entirely change how its set up. You could simply opt in or out of the dating side of the app. All the rest could remain the same.

I dont think its a good idea, but thats just because in don't think its a sound business plan.
as it is, strava is a social platform with analytics. Adding dating to that is simply an expansion of the social aspect that is already at the core of what strava is.
end of story.
Old 07-11-20, 07:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sounds like a rough neighborhood. 😀
Sign of the times. If I could easily move, I would have done it already. Betweeb work, fam/friends, & other roots grown, it just isnt in the cards right now to find new soil to grown in.
Old 07-11-20, 10:50 PM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

Its a discussion of a hypothetical scenario.
Strava wouldn't need to entirely change how its set up. You could simply opt in or out of the dating side of the app. All the rest could remain the same.

I dont think its a good idea, but thats just because in don't think its a sound business plan.
as it is, strava is a social platform with analytics. Adding dating to that is simply an expansion of the social aspect that is already at the core of what strava is.
end of story.
The OP never brought up expanding Strava for anything, just using it for an unintended, and severely creepy, purpose. So the discussion, for 60-some posts, was never about "a hypothetical scenario." It was a discussion about using an app for an unintended purpose. Your tangential addition to that discussion does not supplant the original thread, regardless of your assessment of a profitable "business plan."

Using a biking app as a dating app is freaking creepy. Full stop.
Likes For eyemkeith:
Old 07-12-20, 07:20 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
"Hot cyclists in your area looking for long, hard rides!" Click here to find out who.
Old 07-13-20, 11:31 AM
robbiesd

Bikes: `06 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
BAD Idea!
Plenty of dating app if that's what one wants.
Old 07-13-20, 02:52 PM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wanna come over and see my... Segments sometime?
Old 07-13-20, 10:49 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Talk about new KOM possibilities.

And of course: "Show us how he touched you on the bicycle."
Old 07-13-20, 11:33 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Double fail.

Strava, and online dating!

It seems silly to me to insist that your spouse or partner has to have the same interests, especially cycling.

My wife hated bikes before she met me!
Old 07-14-20, 12:51 PM
BentRider56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
i am a meat popsicle
LOL
"I'm a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made of stardust", pedaling a naked skeleton made of stardust.

Do what you love. Check your draft from time to time, and improvise as appropriate.
Old 12-22-20, 11:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Met my wife of 20 years on Match who also was a cyclist, skier, hiker and shared the same politics and religious perspectives, etc. It was a purpose built app for putting people together with tons of money invested to make it work, if the user actually commits to answering the zillions of questions. Strava could not even come close to the level of detail required to become a successful dating app other than, I’m into fitness and riding, what about you?