Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Should I buy this Tikit?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Should I buy this Tikit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 08:43 PM
driftwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should I buy this Tikit?

I live in Taiwan and a friend of mine is selling her, pretty much, pristine, BF Seasons Tikit for 850 USD.

I wanted one for years but now BF has discontinued it and there is no longer a store in Taiwan that supports them.

Here is the package:

​​​​​
TYPE: Model T SIZE: Medium COLOR: Wasabi (Peppermint Green) HUB: Nexus 8 FENDERS: Planet Bike RACKS: front- two sided, back- standard
I've added Ergon GP2 grips and MKS EZY Lambda pedals. Also includes TRAVEL SUITCASE and DETOURS shopping bag. Paid USD$2269 originally

What do you guys think?

I've been saving up for a Brompton in recent years but then this came up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-25-20, 02:37 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Its a good price for an almost new Tikit.

The fact that BF doesn't make it is for me not a major drawback.

But the Tikit isn't as easy to use as a Brompton, especially if you need to fold it and carry it folded often.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 08-25-20, 05:26 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by driftwork
I live in Taiwan and a friend of mine is selling her, pretty much, pristine, BF Seasons Tikit for 850 USD. I wanted one for years but now BF has discontinued it and there is no longer a store in Taiwan that supports them.
Since you're in Taiwan, check the Ori M10/C8. Folds almost as compact and fast as a Brompton, for a bit less money.

If you're lucky; they might still sell the Mi8 (= Nexus 8) instead of a derailleur.

HOME | ORi Life Style Folding Bikes
ADDNo.16 , Yow 9th Road , Tachia Town , Taichun Hsien ,Taiwan.437
TEL886-4-26821688 EXT.791
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-25-20, 06:10 AM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Winfried
Since you're in Taiwan, check the Ori M10/C8. Folds almost as compact and fast as a Brompton, for a bit less money.

If you're lucky; they might still sell the Mi8 (= Nexus 8) instead of a derailleur.

HOME | ORi Life Style Folding Bikes
ADDNo.16 , Yow 9th Road , Tachia Town , Taichun Hsien ,Taiwan.437
TEL886-4-26821688 EXT.791
I've tried out the Ori before and didn't really like the ride as much as the Brompton and definitely not as much as I liked the Tikit. Also, I met the Ori folks at their booth at the Taipei International Cycle Show in 2011 and they didn't seem so entirely confident in their brand. I'm surprised it's still around Frankly.
Likes For driftwork:
Old 08-25-20, 09:15 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
The Tikit is an awesome bike. The fact BF no longer makes it is because it was too expensive for them to produce, not because it wasn't selling. It's an amazing bike with a huge fan base because it is an exceptional 16" riding and folding bike. If they still made it, I would have bought one instead of my pakiT (which I love). If it is your size, I'd jump on it.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-25-20, 10:20 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I expect that if you ever wanted to sell this Tikit, you would be able to get most of the price that the owner wants. I.e., it is not a lot of risk.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-25-20, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have one paid about that much .. T knob or Hypertfold? Twiddly knob is the simpler one, on the bar mast..
Mine has the SRAM i-9 hub, which was unfortunately discontinued ,
to concentrate on making the trend making one by drive trains with huge cassettes.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-20 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I think The Oregon company ships the completed bike to any country the buyer lives in, but no longer has dealers ,
who must add to the selling price , to support their business overhead..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-25-20, 11:07 AM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I have one paid about that much .. T knob or Hypertfold? Twiddly knob is the simpler one, on the bar mast..
to concentrate on making the trend making one by drive trains with huge cassettes.

It's the hyperfold
Old 08-25-20, 12:08 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Having owned the Ori/Mezzo and currently have Brompton and a Tikit. (The Tikit by far the longest, 10yrs+)

ALL GREAT BIKEs. For long rides MY choice would be Tikit.

Note: There was a voluntary recall on the stems, Make sure that the previous owner received and installed the replacement stem or Bike was made after the stem concerns.

For small fold WE all know the Mezzo and Brompton are the choice. Brompton winning that category with Mezzo a close second.
Likes For zebede:
Old 08-25-20, 12:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I only got Sachs hubs that are 7-speed.

Sturmey Archer still makes the CS-RF3 if one needs a 3x hub + cassette.
Old 08-25-20, 12:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

i-9 is a 9 speed internal gear hub with, being SRAM, a Grip shift, & a Cog that is different from the classic AW3..
Old 08-26-20, 09:17 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
How do you plant to fix anything if bf doesnt make it anymore.
this bits for the seatmast is kinda unique.
Old 08-26-20, 10:33 AM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
How do you plant to fix anything if bf doesnt make it anymore.
this bits for the seatmast is kinda unique.
Actually, I did get a response from BF and asked them that exact question.... they did not inspire much confidence in me that they would have the specialty parts available should something go wrong. It's basically... whatever we have on the shelf is what we have, for however long as it lasts.

In fact, I'd say the email I received from them, although very pleasant and helpful has led me to the conclusion that the Tikit was actually discontinued a while ago already and is on the verge of no longer being supported.

I'll be looking at a 6 speed Brompton instead.

Thanks for all the great replies and helpful advice.
Old 08-26-20, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I've been talking to service @bike Friday. no one is there , as assembly mechanics, any more, from the Tikit making era,
so asking about the hyperglide cable.. there is no one there any more knowing any thing about it..

just sent a best case situation assembly video, ..
Old 08-26-20, 03:53 PM
Winfried

I'll be looking at a 6 speed Brompton instead.
It always ends with a Brompton
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-26-20, 09:16 PM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It always ends with a Brompton
I wish BF luck and I hope they can get over this hump. I hope some of that government money allocated to help small businesses gets allocated to them.

Last edited by driftwork; 08-26-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 10:06 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

I am not sure you are making a right decision skipping the Tikit. My BF New World Tourist predates, to the best of my knowledge, Tikit production by BF. I do not recall ever needing any special custom part that could not be obtained from other sources. When I wanted some frame modification, I went to a local framebuilder. It is Brompton that utilizes tons of specialized components, which is how they achieve the tight fold, but BF uses mostly run of the mill components. When you have a bike, you can ride it and you are not forced to jump on the cheapest and maybe not optimal Brompton option that ever comes around.
Old 08-27-20, 12:52 AM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am not sure you are making a right decision skipping the Tikit. My BF New World Tourist predates, to the best of my knowledge, Tikit production by BF. I do not recall ever needing any special custom part that could not be obtained from other sources. When I wanted some frame modification, I went to a local framebuilder. It is Brompton that utilizes tons of specialized components, which is how they achieve the tight fold, but BF uses mostly run of the mill components. When you have a bike, you can ride it and you are not forced to jump on the cheapest and maybe not optimal Brompton option that ever comes around.
Not quite sure I understand your last sentence... but I think I get the gist of your idea. As luck would have it, I live in one of the epicenters of high end bicycle manufacturering in the world (Taichung City) so finding resources to fix what might need fixing isn't so much of a big deal. After some research though.. it really seems like BF is going through some tough times and it's hard to see where they will be in a year. That plus the email I received from their support department really does not inspire confidence.

​​​​I totally agree that, ten years ago, BF Tikits were the folding bike to buy for urban commuting. I've ridden about a dozen different kinds of folding bikes and the Tikit was my absolute favorite. I know this has been discussed to death... but I'd also say that the Brompton is only about 10% less of a good ride by comparison. The brakes and gear shifters being the primary difference between the two when comparing the ride with the Tikit being much superior.

However, in the ten years that I've been looking at folding bikes, BF has peaked and ebbed while Brompton has quadrupled its distributorship here in Taiwan.. and I'm assuming....around the world. While the Brompton does have many proprietary parts, there are also a ton of shops everywhere in the developed world that'll fix them.

Alas, my other reason for turning down the Tikit was because the seller decided she wanted to keep the travel suitcase, shopping bag, peddles and the saddle but not reduce her price at all.

Too bad

​​​​

Last edited by driftwork; 08-27-20 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-27-20, 03:57 AM
Winfried

Since you "live in one of the epicenters of high end bicycle manufacturering in the world (Taichung City)", I would suggest getting 1) a single-speed Brompton, 2) a standard width rear triangle, and 3) have a Nexus/Alfine gear hub installed: For not much more money, you'll get the same or even a wider gear range than Brompton's exotic gear hub + derailleur option.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024325243.html
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-27-20, 07:05 AM
driftwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you "live in one of the epicenters of high end bicycle manufacturering in the world (Taichung City)", I would suggest getting 1) a single-speed Brompton, 2) a standard width rear triangle, and 3) have a Nexus/Alfine gear hub installed: For not much more money, you'll get the same or even a wider gear range than Brompton's exotic gear hub + derailleur option.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024325243.html
Very cool!

Thank you!
Old 08-27-20, 07:13 AM
Winfried

Too bad no one 1) makes a 135mm triangle out of steel and 2) retails it in Europe/North America for a more reasonable price.
Old 08-27-20, 10:27 AM
2_i 

Not quite sure I understand your last sentence... but I think I get the gist of your idea. ​​​​
What I mean is that a cheap Bromptons that might come in the second-hand market might not be particularly good. They might need an overhaul, there might be rust issues there and, while it could not be obvious to the eye, the Brompton features were optimized over time and features might be inferior in the bikes from earlier years.

Alas, my other reason for turning down the Tikit was because the seller decided she wanted to keep the travel suitcase, shopping bag, peddles and the saddle but not reduce her price at all.​​​
If I were her, I would not get rid of the bike at all, but then people have different considerations and situations. Interesting I chose identical suitcases for my general travel, as BF for the bikes, before I learned about the BF's choices. Pedals are a bridge too far even for me.
Old 08-27-20, 01:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Actually reading up it seems S-A 8 speed can be thinned down on the left end,
but the smallest cog is bigger than Brompton uses, normally .. & it's all 1:1 + 7 overdrive gears to make a fairly small chainring desirable..

https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/fo...n-8-speed-kit/
Old 08-27-20, 03:32 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Too bad no one 1) makes a 135mm triangle out of steel and 2) retails it in Europe/North America for a more reasonable price.
Kinetics make a stainless steel rear triangle compatible with Alfine 8-11 and Rohloff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.