Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Method for removing plastic taste from water bottle

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Method for removing plastic taste from water bottle

Old 12-03-12, 04:57 PM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
to bacterial contamination i will add chemical and hormonal contaminations of the tap water

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...tlawrence.html

https://www.ec.gc.ca/inre-nwri/defaul...set=9&toc=show

Since i started drinking filtered water i noticed how the unfiltered tap water taste like garbage. It's like a mix of garbage, toothpaste, chlorine, copper, oil and clr.
Good water is like good wine or good beer once you go there you know the difference with bad quality
Old 07-04-18, 06:53 AM
crystonwaston33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice; I always buy good quality Bpa Free water bottles.
Does anyone have any method in getting rid of that plastic smell in the water bottle?
Old 07-04-18, 05:49 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
After getting about a third of the way through this thread, I was convinced to switch from plastic bottles to stainless steel, so I went right out and plunked down $68 for three Kleen Kanteen "Classic" bottles, cringing all the way to the cash register and beyond.

When I got home and read the notes inside the bottle, I was surprised to see the warning about putting them in the freezer. This is a deal-breaker for me, as, for almost 25 years, I've been filling my plastic bottles halfway and freezing them, then filling the rest with fresh water before I head out on a ride.

I thought maybe Kleen Kanteen was being overly cautious, but then I started reading thread after thread about stainless bottles exploding after being frozen. Tomorrow they are going back to Target. So now that I will be returning to plastic bottles, I guess I need to read the rest of the posts in this thread to keep the smell out of 'em.
Old 07-04-18, 10:05 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
The Purist line plastic bottles do not taint the taste of water. It really is like drinking water from a glass.
Old 07-05-18, 09:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I never found a plastic bottle that didn't impart at least some plastic taste. I love my Kleen Kanteen bottles. Thanks for the warning about freezing. I might have made that mistake. I'll just put ice cubes in before I set out. I haven't used a plastic bottle in a year or two. These bottles have been a good investment for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-18, 04:59 PM
Papa Tom

I ended up going with Polar Insulated bottles that were half the price of the Kleen Kanteens and are both dishwasher and freezer safe. The manufacturer suggests washing them with vinegar and baking soda to get the odor out. I did that and they still stink like heck, so I put them in the dishwasher. I am taking the first of my summer overnight rides this weekend, so I hope the smell goes away with one washing!

Update After Ride: Unfortunately, my first sip of water from my new Polar Ice bottle (and every sip after that) tasted like pure dishwasher soap. Somehow, even after a lot of rinsing, the bottle held not just the flavor, but the bubbles! I ended up buying bottled water every hour or so and packing it in my pannier.

When I got home, I immediately called Polar Ice and they offered to exchange the three bottles that I had bought. I told them that I like the bottles and would like to try something else - anything else - that might get the taste and odor out of them. They suggested an Efferdent bath. I felt like I had already done that with baking soda, but I decided to give it a try. On first testing, it seems to have worked, but the real test will be my next ride.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-11-18 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 08:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't remember if I washed my bottles before using them, but they are holding up great.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-18, 11:01 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I never found a plastic bottle that didn't impart at least some plastic taste. I love my Kleen Kanteen bottles. Thanks for the warning about freezing. I might have made that mistake. I'll just put ice cubes in before I set out. I haven't used a plastic bottle in a year or two. These bottles have been a good investment for me.
have you tried Purist?
Old 07-06-18, 12:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Purportedly you can pop the dents out of your motorcycle exhaust by leaving it full of water in the freezer. This is apocryphal, SFAIK. But if the ice crystal has nowhere to grow as the water continues to freeze... like if it freezes in the neck while there’s still water below...
Old 07-11-18, 03:35 AM
crystonwaston33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As per my personal opinion, you have shared great tips with us. This is also a reason I always use stainless steel water bottle, because of its taste. Mostly I rinse it with the hot water.
Old 07-22-18, 01:44 PM
Papa Tom

My new Polar Ice bottles were so stinky on their first ride (even after a thorough cleaning with lemon AND in the dishwasher) that I left them in their cages and drank bottled water for 50 miles. When I got back home, I called the company and they immediately offered to replace them, but suggested that I first try cleaning them with denture-cleaning tablets. This seems to have worked. I haven't yet taken a long enough ride for the sun to really heat the bottles up and let the bad taste rock-out, but I haven't had an unpleasant taste on any of my commutes so far. Stay tuned...
Old 07-22-18, 02:49 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My new Polar Ice bottles were so stinky on their first ride (even after a thorough cleaning with lemon AND in the dishwasher) that I left them in their cages and drank bottled water for 50 miles. When I got back home, I called the company and they immediately offered to replace them, but suggested that I first try cleaning them with denture-cleaning tablets. This seems to have worked. I haven't yet taken a long enough ride for the sun to really heat the bottles up and let the bad taste rock-out, but I haven't had an unpleasant taste on any of my commutes so far. Stay tuned...
Denture cleaning tablets! Why'd I never think of that? That's a winner for sure!
I'm surprised to hear about the issue with freezing metal bottles. I guess since it won't freeze evenly there's that risk, just never thought about it. I might now just put ice in the bottle, then put it back in the freezer... still annoying...
Old 07-22-18, 03:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
My old bottles tasted nasty after just a few hours. Camelbak bottles, even the plain, uninsulated ones, have zero plastic taste even after the water sits for a couple of days. And the valve works great. I've had the same ones for 6 or 7 years now.

The worst thing is those 5 gallon "igloo" style water dispenser jugs at event ride rest stops. If they filled and cooled them overnight, it's a very strong plastic taste. Yuck.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-22-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 06:21 AM
Papa Tom

[QUOTE=DanBraden;20462835]Denture cleaning tablets! Why'd I never think of that? That's a winner for sure!/QUOTE]

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but DKPhelps was the first in this thread to suggest "Efferdent" (denture cleaner) a while back. I am aware that it wasn't my original idea. If you are NOT being sarcastic, give it a try. I think it may have worked for me, but it has rained just about every day since I cleaned my bottles this way, so I haven't really had a chance to test them.
Old 07-23-18, 08:41 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Papa Tom;20463833]
Originally Posted by DanBraden
Denture cleaning tablets! Why'd I never think of that? That's a winner for sure!/QUOTE]

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but DKPhelps was the first in this thread to suggest "Efferdent" (denture cleaner) a while back. I am aware that it wasn't my original idea. If you are NOT being sarcastic, give it a try. I think it may have worked for me, but it has rained just about every day since I cleaned my bottles this way, so I haven't really had a chance to test them.
Oops, these forums can really do a number on you...

I was being sincere. I just overlooked that previous comment . Whoever says it, it still seems like a good idea!
Old 07-23-18, 08:54 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkphelps
Efferdent (or store brand equivalent) is cheap, kills bacteria,odor, and removes stains. Dissolve tablet into very warm water filled to the brim, and place cap with nozzle upside down on top. After at least 15 minutes, fasten on the cap, shake and squirt through nozzle until empty. Rinse thoroughly. Works for me.
It was brought to my attention that I mis-attributed you're awesome idea to someone else... This is me at my most contrite... What a great idea this is, THANKS!
Old 07-23-18, 08:54 AM
Papa Tom

Worth a try. At the very least, denture cleaner tastes better than dishwasher soap!
Old 07-23-18, 09:06 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by DanBraden
It was brought to my attention that I mis-attributed you're awesome idea to someone else... This is me at my most contrite... What a great idea this is, THANKS!
Hey, but I was the marketing genius who ultimately got you to take notice of this idea. It's all about presentation, man. Presentation. (thumbs up emoji)
Old 07-27-18, 07:23 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
For the morning commute it’s cold brew in the stainless steel Stanley one-hander, ride home same container with cold water, nice and simple, doesn't leak, keeps liquid temps like a champ.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 07-30-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 01:44 PM
puzzled

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fill it with boiling water
Old 09-04-20, 03:48 AM
Squid57squid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Repeated use of water or Gatorade bottles can be dangerous. They were not meant to be reused, and can trap bacteria in the plastic.
This is completely untrue. Any bottle can harbour bacteria disposable ones are no worse than others. But you might find it hard to buy one that fits your cage. It beats me why bike bottle manufacturers don't use a plastic that does not leach possibly dangerous, definitely unpleasant chemicals into your water. It's ridiculous!