Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Soaked Stainless Steel Caged Bearings in Vinegar - Reuse or Replace?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Soaked Stainless Steel Caged Bearings in Vinegar - Reuse or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 09:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by KootenayKid
Part of my aversion to using loose bearings is this mental image that I have of the fork side bearings just rolling out from over the crown race while my wife is trying to take a fast corner on her new C&V. Although, looking at the geometry of it and considering a bit of pre-tension, I'm sure that's pretty close to impossible.
The headset would need to be seriously mis-adjusted to allow enough space for the balls to fall out. Even the most cursory pre-ride equipment check would catch this.
Old 09-15-20, 07:55 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Some manufacturers, e.g. Nervar, even used plastic ball retainers.
Campy also uses plastic retainers in their hubs.
Old 09-16-20, 11:08 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
So, at long last I've enough credibility to post a pic of the situation. The bearings on the right are the vinegar'd from the headset; the bearings on the left are the bottom bracket, non-vinegar'd. I don't expect the pic to change anything. That said, I do consider it good form to always post a pic for this kind of thread. As I said, the tarnished / etched balls still roll very smoothly in my fingers.

Old 09-16-20, 11:21 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Properly assembled that just cannot happen.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The headset would need to be seriously mis-adjusted to allow enough space for the balls to fall out. Even the most cursory pre-ride equipment check would catch this.
I'm sure that you guys are probably right. That said:

1) "Properly assembled" may not be a given here given that it's me doing it and;

2) Let's be honest with ourselves in that most, casual riders are probably doing no inspection at all. I do tire pressure and brakes before my wife and I go out and, were it not for me doing that, I'm fairly certain that nothing at all would get done.

I did my first headset a couple of months ago and it went like this:

1) Put it together and find that it barely moves.

2) Adjust it until it moves and everything is snug.

3) Ride around for a few weeks until I notice slop in the braking.

4) Realize that the slop in the braking is a result of the headset coming loose.

5) Tightening things up again.

So my excess concern here comes from imagining my wife taking a hard corner on a loose headset and kind of prying the joint open. Who knows, maybe balls falling out isn't even possible in that extreme circumstance. It sure would have the makings of a catastrophic failure though, at least relative to some pitting or rough motion in the joint. If a cage can make that outcome impossible, then that's pretty appealing to me at the moment.

I may have to try loose balls just because I have a new toy for installing them. That, in itself, played out interestingly:

1) Order $11 bearing tweezers Sunday night while on the treadmill not noticing the $42 shipping fee. These things must come from Paraguay or something.

2) Contact vendor about cancellation. Too late but they give me $20 off of the shipping. I assume that the tweezers will show up in December sometime.

3) Tweezers show up yesterday like they came from down the street or something.
Old 09-16-20, 01:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
I'm sure that you guys are probably right. That said:
I may have to try loose balls just because I have a new toy for installing them. That, in itself, played out interestingly:
I keep my stock of balls in a pill bottle. open the bottle, put the required amount in the cap of the bottle, dab my finger in the marine bearing grease, touch a ball with my greased finger, it sticks, put in well marine greased race and it stays. Headset - fill lower race with the frame upside down with required # of balls, insert fork in headtube, hold fork in and flip over, repeat process on upper race and install rest of parts on fork.
Old 09-16-20, 07:41 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Being in Canada, in the age of covid, even a $5 part from Ebay will cost me $40 shipping and two or three months of wait time. Excruciating. Damn Canada...
Canadian Tire ofen carries them, or:
https://www.bearingscanada.com/Bicyc...lls-s/1879.htm