Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Old 09-21-20, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No one? Seriously?
I know, right? I batted my eyes severely over paying $250 for a new wheelset.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-21-20, 11:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
People these days who are average recreational riders are sold design and technology developed and only really helpful for road racing. Lycra kit, $300 helmets, electronic shifting, fragile sub 15lb frames, low spoke wheels, heart rate monitors, power meters, gps linked computers, CO2 cartridges, etc... Consider that most people who buy race designed bikes never enter a bicycle race.
???

What people here think of as "average recreational riders" aren't buying bikes anything like (or as expensive) as what you are describing (**).

Most "enthusiast riders" (maybe, who you are talking about?) aren't buying bikes anything like (or as expensive) as what you are describing either.

The people in the second group are much more likely to (now) buy "endurance" frames that can take 25/28 mm tires.

===============

** I'm assuming you mean "sub 15lib bicycles".
Old 09-21-20, 11:51 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by fishboat
You've been on it for quite a while already
??? Isn't the point of having him on the ignore list to ignore him?
Old 09-21-20, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
B-b-but those kind of people and their posts, alleged "goals" and thoughts are apparently unworthy and held in contempt by the would-be Kool Kidz of BF, eh?

Lighten up, Francis. Except OP and you, pretty much everyone else here is being pretty polite even when they disagree.

Only point I'm making is sometimes people lose perspective on how much "serious" cycling is done on very cheap equipment. Don't try to enlist me in your holy war.

I think you might have something interesting to say about the Grant Petersen paradox--he seems to be writing about bikes for the "everyman" potential rider, but he builds bikes for people who are willing to pay relatively large sums for bikes whose primary appeal are reliability and opulence. Think you could drop the baseball bat and actually write substantively on topic for a change?
Old 09-21-20, 12:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by njkayaker
??? Isn't the point of having him on the ignore list to ignore him?
HA! Shows what YOU know! The point of having an "Ignore List" is to TELL people you're ignoring them, like when you were a kid and you told your sibling - repeatedly - that you weren't talking to him/her.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-21-20, 12:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
I know, right? I batted my eyes severely over paying $250 for a new wheelset.

I have a philosophy that says buying cheap wheelsets is better than buying mid-range. Expensive wheelsets try to be light and durable, cheap ones tend to be durable but heavy. Middle-range ones tend to be lighter than cheap, but not as durable.

I buy a mid-range wheelset, I'm spending a lot of time getting the wheels trued. Pothole avoidance is not one of my better skills.
Old 09-21-20, 12:16 PM
njkayaker

HA! Shows what YOU know! The point of having an "Ignore List" is to TELL people you're ignoring them, like when you were a kid and you told your sibling - repeatedly - that you weren't talking to him/her.
There's a nut on another subforum who repeatedly tells me he has me on ignore and still replies to my posts. So, yeah, it's a mystery to me.

They don't realize that it's a benefit to the person who is placed on the ignore list.
Old 09-21-20, 12:18 PM
njkayaker

Grant Petersen should get credit for chapping the asses of so many people on BF.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-21-20, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have a philosophy that says buying cheap wheelsets is better than buying mid-range. Expensive wheelsets try to be light and durable, cheap ones tend to be durable but heavy. Middle-range ones tend to be lighter than cheap, but not as durable.

I buy a mid-range wheelset, I'm spending a lot of time getting the wheels trued. Pothole avoidance is not one of my better skills.
"Strong. Light. Cheap. Choose any two." - Keith Bontrager, supposedly.

I was happy ten years ago, paying over $600 for a set of custom wheels for my Battaglin from a very good local wheelmaker, because he promised me that even at my then-weight, he could build me a 28/32 wheelset with butted spokes that would last for years of riding. And he did, and they have. They finally needed a little bit of truing after about 6000 miles, and hitting a pothole so hard it tossed my bottles out of the cages. It was just enough wobble that I couldn't run my brakes as close to the rim as I like, which is real close.

OTOH, when the Fulcrum Racing 5s on my 2006 Bianchi developed cracks at the spoke holes, I went for a direct replacement with 2020 Racing 5s, but still hesitated at the $250 price from PBK. I got over it.

Old 09-21-20, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I try to keep the "you're on my list" message down to one--the last one to them ever. Anything else looks kind of stupid.

Problem comes up when someone on my ignore list gets quoted talking about me. Unless the person quoting them is on my ignore list, I'm going to see it and notice it.

I've had a few where I get so sick of an argument, I put them on the list to avoid getting trolled back in, then realize literally no one but me ever quotes that person despite their voluminous posts. Gotta figure they're on a bit more than a few lists.
Old 09-21-20, 12:24 PM
njkayaker

I think you've mischaracterized his stance a bit. His point is that a lot of people are being driven away from bicycling because the marketing is pushing the idea that ordinary riding requires people to be kitted out as if they were racing. In his view, people are either being conned into over-spending for features that are unsuitable for the type of riding they're really going to be doing with false promises that these features will make them faster, or they're just not going to take up biking because they don't want to dress up like low-rent astronauts.
It's might be more complicated than that.

Petersen can't really compete with the rest of the industry. So, he competes against it (appealing to a niche market). Rivendell bikes are expensive enough to have the same sort of problem "requires people to be kitted out" does (it's kind of expensive/exclusive either way). Petersen also appears to relish being "contrarian".

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 01:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
???

What people here think of as "average recreational riders" aren't buying bikes anything like (or as expensive) as what you are describing (**).

Most "enthusiast riders" (maybe, who you are talking about?) aren't buying bikes anything like (or as expensive) as what you are describing either.

The people in the second group are much more likely to (now) buy "endurance" frames that can take 25/28 mm tires.

===============

No, I meant sub 15lb frames. lb being an abrv for pound. I have no idea what sub 15lib means.

As to what what the industry is pushing; walk into a modern Trek store and tell me what you think.

One can argue the bits and pieces of what I wrote but the basic premise stands. The current industry is pushing in one direction, People like GP offer a counter balance.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-21-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 01:21 PM
njkayaker

No, I meant sub 15lb frames. lb being an abrv for pound.
??? I don't think many of the Rivendell frames are 15 pounds or more. I don't think the frame of my touring bike is anywhere near that heavy.

As to what what the industry is pushing; walk into a modern Trek store and tell me what you think.
The industry has been doing this for years. In any case, they aren't really pushing these on "average recreational riders".

Rivendell bikes are fairly expensive. They aren't being sold to "average recreational riders". It's elitism too but a different type of elitism.

People like GP offer a counter balance.
Yes.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 01:26 PM
Happy Feet

??? I don't think many of the Rivendell frames are 15 pounds or more.
sigh.. you win the obtuse sarcastic slacker award.
Congrats. My mistake to think you were being intellectually honest in the discussion.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-21-20, 01:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Where I think there's a disconnect between his product line and his writing is that much of his "racing is ruining the industry" argument is based on racing mentality creating a high cost barrier to entry for consumers, and his frames being very expensive...
That’s the conundrum, isn’t it? I’m enough of a retrogrouch to ride basic steel frame bikes and to get where he’s coming from about half of the time. But I’m also into doing my own bike stuff, and I can do all the same riding on an old bike I fix up for maybe $300-400. GP even acknowledges that a vintage MTB fixed up with swept back bars is about equivalent to a Clem.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-21-20, 01:33 PM
njkayaker

sigh.. you win the obtuse sarcastic slacker award.
Congrats. My mistake to think you were being intellectually honest in the discussion.
You win the "I can't make an argument so I'll resort to insults" award.

You aren't making much sense. That's on you.

What sort of 15 pound frames are you talking about? (It would make somewhat more sense if you were talking about frame sets.)

Whatever Petersen is saying, he isn't selling bikes to "average recreational riders".

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 01:41 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Old 09-21-20, 01:44 PM
Happy Feet

You win the "I can't make an argument so I'll resort to insults" award.

You aren't making much sense. That's on you.

What sort of 15 pound frames are you talking about? (It would make somewhat more sense if you were talking about frame sets.)

Whatever Petersen is saying, he isn't selling bikes to "average recreational riders".
I'll make sure next time, if I ever direct my conversation towards you, to have the proofreaders and lawyers look over the final drafts as you cannot be expected to exhibit even a moderate capacity to interpret.

The lawyer says to confirm 15lb bicycle so this doesn't go on for 5 pages. What's a liv?

And we already covered the disconnect between what he writes and sells many posts back. Probably someone should have explicitly pointed that out as you couldn't be expected to inform yourself.

Your attempt to discredit by fixating on what anyone else could easily understand is the insult in a reasonable discussion. It's lazy, and what someone without anything constructive to say.. says.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-21-20 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:13 PM
njkayaker

The lawyer says to confirm 15lb bicycle so this doesn't go on for 5 pages.
??? You said 15 pound frame. Twice.

No, I meant sub 15lb frames.
I asked what you meant and you repeated that you meant frames (not bicycles).

"Average recreational riders" aren't typically buying sub-15 pound bicycles either.

Your attempt to discredit by fixating on what anyone else could easily understand is the insult in a reasonable discussion.
You could have said you meant bicycles instead of frames. But you are, weirdly, blaming other people for your bad choice of words. Which is nonsensical and more work!

It's lazy, and what someone without anything constructive to say.. says.
It make no sense to go on about frames when you mean bicycles. That's on you!

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:33 PM
Happy Feet

??? You said 15 pound frame. Twice.

I asked what you meant and you repeated that you meant frames (not bicycles).

"Average recreational riders" aren't typically buying sub-15 pound bicycles either.

It make no sense to go on about frames when you mean bicycles. That's on you!
In the context of this discussion a reasonable person would know what I meant. It did not help that you then mistakenly asked if I meant a "15 liv bicycle". Why won't you tell us what a liv is? Pot meet kettle.

Focusing on what is an obviously understood error while making one yourself is "on you" as you would say.

Srsly.. did you really think I meant the current industry is pushing advanced technology towards recreational riders with sub 15lb frames? Or would a reasonable person assume I meant sub 15 lb bikes. Try not to play the darling innocent to hard.
Old 09-21-20, 02:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
I smell a stinky sock.
Old 09-21-20, 02:47 PM
njkayaker

No, I meant sub 15lb frames. lb being an abrv for pound. I have no idea what sub 15lib means.
I have no idea what sub 15lib means.
What's a liv?
Your attempt to discredit by fixating on what anyone else could easily understand is the insult in a reasonable discussion.
In the context of this discussion a reasonable person would know what I meant.

Keep digging!

Srsly.. did you really think I meant the current industry is pushing advanced technology towards recreational riders with sub 15lb frames? Or would a reasonable person assume I meant sub 15 lb bikes. Try not to play the darling innocent to hard.
You said you meant frame. You "clarified" what you meant by repeating the error. And then you repeatedly went on and on about a simple typo that was easy to understand!

You could have said you meant bicycle and avoided all this.

So, even with the non-correction correction, you still don't make sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:53 PM
Happy Feet

Dude, you went on and on about a typo!

Keep digging!
Don't hurt your hand patting your back.

Did you have anything meaningful to say in this thread or is your contribution only going to be limited to proofreading other peoples ideas?

I like to argue ideas not people. #bored .
Old 09-21-20, 03:00 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I smell a stinky sock.
ikr!
Old 09-21-20, 03:10 PM
njkayaker

[QUOTE=Happy Feet;21706071]
I have no idea what sub 15lib means.
What's a liv?
I like to argue ideas not people. #bored .
No, you like to argue about typos.

"Average recreational riders" aren't typically buying sub-15 pound bicycles.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 03:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.