Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Horrific foot cramps after taking shoes off, and general food pain while riding.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Horrific foot cramps after taking shoes off, and general food pain while riding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 08:04 PM
baribari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, yesterday I rode 47 miles and after taking off my shoes I got horrible, horrible foot cramps. So much as moving my toes in any direction made me swear at the top of my lungs.

What could cause this? Bad shoe fit?

I have Sidi road shoes with Superfeet Yellow inserts. Pedals are Shimano SPD-SL. The insoles improved my previous arch pain somewhat, but now I have more forefoot pain while riding.

Is there some way to make these shoes more comfortable? Thinner socks to reduce food swelling? Wedges? Cleat adjustment?

Do I need to try another brand of shoes? Specialized? Shimano?
Old 08-01-15, 08:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
This happens. I get it from time to time both after riding and sometimes just waking up in the morning, and every once in a while from touching the bottom one against the other when they're cold.

I suspect that one contributing factor might be the extremely rigid soles on decent cycling shoes. They hold the foot immobilized, vs. the normal constant flexing feet are used to. That and maybe a drop in your potassium levels, or whatever.

I don't know if some people are more prone to this than others, but it's not anything except painful for a short while (yes, very painful), then it passes and all is back to normal. So I just consider it one of those things that I live with (and I don't let my feet touch each other when cold).

BTW- I sometimes would get the same cramp on very long rides, and found the best remedy was to take off my shoes and walk barefoot a hundred yards or so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-01-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-01-15, 08:20 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but Do you tend to keep your feet fairly flat as you're pedalling or do you tend to point down, therefore increasing pressure on your toes?

I initially was doing the latter, which gave me pain in my toes after longer rides. I then made a conscious effort to switch to the former and, tada! Toes pain was gone

Since then, I developed some pain on the out side of my right foot on rides longer than 50 miles, but I believe I have now fixed it with the proper shoe insert (I have the Specialized S-Works shoes with mid-arch inserts)

hope this helps at all...

Geoff
Old 08-01-15, 08:20 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
make sure you aren't over tightening your shoes.
Old 08-01-15, 08:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Just a guess but do you have high arches?
Old 08-01-15, 08:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I experience this. I even experience this when I'm not cycling.

For me, it helps to drink lots.

Yeah, I know, the jury is out when it comes to what causes cramping ... but from my experience, there's a direct link between not drinking enough and having my feet cramp.
Old 08-01-15, 08:47 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
make sure you aren't over tightening your shoes.
I really only tighten the top strap. That said Sidis are pretty narrow...
Old 08-01-15, 08:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

I read this and had a quick laugh. Then I realized you meant water.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-01-15, 08:48 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Just a guess but do you have high arches?
I would say medium. I tried green BG foodbets (for high arches) and simply putting the shoes on was excruciating. Cycling with those insoles was a non-starter.

That said I could have used a bit more arch support than the Yellows give.
Old 08-01-15, 08:49 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I know, the jury is out when it comes to what causes cramping ... but from my experience, there's a direct link between not drinking enough and having my feet cramp.
I made an effort to drink plenty but it was pretty hot out and I ended up drinking something like... six liters of sports drink.
Old 08-01-15, 08:51 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This happens. I get it from time to time both after riding and sometimes just waking up in the morning, and every once in a while from touching the bottom one against the other when they're cold.

I suspect that one contributing factor might be the extremely rigid soles on decent cycling shoes. They hold the foot immobilized, vs. the normal constant flexing feet are used to. That and maybe a drop in your potassium levels, or whatever.

I don't know if some people are more prone to this than others, but it's not anything except painful for a short while (yes, very painful), then it passes and all is back to normal. So I just consider it one of those things that I live with (and I don't let my feet touch each other when cold).

BTW- I sometimes would get the same cramp on very long rides, and found the best remedy was to take off my shoes and walk barefoot a hundred yards or so.
Even with rigid soles I suspect it wouldn't happen if my shoes fit perfectly and the cleats were a bit further back.
Old 08-01-15, 08:53 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

+1

drink lots, and from my experience, water isn't enough.

Nuun has eliminated all of my cramping issues, and they used to be a major problem.
Old 08-01-15, 08:54 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu
I'm by no means an expert, but Do you tend to keep your feet fairly flat as you're pedalling or do you tend to point down, therefore increasing pressure on your toes?

I initially was doing the latter, which gave me pain in my toes after longer rides. I then made a conscious effort to switch to the former and, tada! Toes pain was gone

Since then, I developed some pain on the out side of my right foot on rides longer than 50 miles, but I believe I have now fixed it with the proper shoe insert (I have the Specialized S-Works shoes with mid-arch inserts)

hope this helps at all...

Geoff
I would say I'm more toes down than toes up, but nothing extreme. I still suspect is more the shoes than anything else.
Old 08-01-15, 08:55 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Superfeet insoles and narrow, low volume Sidi shoes, combined with high arches, are a recipe for foot problems. I have high arches and narrow feet. At one time I was a professional skier, and had (have) several pairs of custom footbeds for my ski boots. Moving them to my cycling shoes was a big mistake. After taking them out of my Sidis and Northwaves, my feet stopped the cramping you describe.
Old 08-01-15, 08:58 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krusty
Superfeet insoles and narrow, low volume Sidi shoes, combined with high arches, are a recipe for foot problems. I have high arches and narrow feet. At one time I was a professional skier, and had (have) several pairs of custom footbeds for my ski boots. Moving them to my cycling shoes was a big mistake. After taking them out of my Sidis and Northwaves, my feet stopped the cramping you describe.
If anything the Superfeet are more comfortable than the Sidis. I don't even want to imagine what 50 miles on the stock Sidi inserts would be like.
Old 08-01-15, 08:58 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baribari
I made an effort to drink plenty but it was pretty hot out and I ended up drinking something like... six liters of sports drink.
Gatorade/Powerade is crap.

Try Nuun.

It has worked wonders for me.

Also sip it regularly. If you crush a bunch of fluid, instead of sipping constantly, the fluid doesn't absorb like it should.
Old 08-01-15, 09:02 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Gatorade/Powerade is crap.

Try Nuun.

It has worked wonders for me.

Also sip it regularly. If you crush a bunch of fluid, instead of sipping constantly, the fluid doesn't absorb like it should.
It wasn't Whateverade, it was Pocari Sweat and a little Aquarius...heheh
Old 08-01-15, 09:02 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Foot cramps might be caused by fit, but it could also be a hydration issue.

Hydration issues are easy and cheap to fix. I'd try that first.
Old 08-01-15, 09:07 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mock me if you want, but I'm try to eliminate a problem without spending a boatload of money.

My recommendation may not help, but it won't cost much to try.

Foot cramps are usually a fit issue, but I'd look into a cheap fix first. If it doesn't work you aren't out much $$$.
Old 08-01-15, 09:19 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
I would say medium. I tried green BG foodbets (for high arches) and simply putting the shoes on was excruciating. Cycling with those insoles was a non-starter.

That said I could have used a bit more arch support than the Yellows give.
Cramps are fairly common for people with high arches. Even if yours aren't that high, it still might be the cause. It ties in also with stiff soles.

People's feet need to move some when they press down, even with cycling. It's the body's normal movement and the way it dissipates the force of its weight. So if they are trying to move but are held in place, muscles rebel
Old 08-02-15, 12:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have the Vents. I have found that the shoes fit very snug, even without the straps fastened. It is very easy to over tighten the straps. I use the straps to remove excess volume in the shoe, not to keep my foot from moving. That has seemed to help me.
Old 08-02-15, 12:58 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh! You're in Japan? I was just there for 10 days recently, and rode 100 miles around lake Biwa (shiga prefecture) half in the rain as a typhoon was coming LOL... Super hot and humid! I drank lots of Aquarius, good stuff.

geoff
Old 08-02-15, 01:03 AM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu
Oh! You're in Japan? I was just there for 10 days recently, and rode 100 miles around lake Biwa (shiga prefecture) half in the rain as a typhoon was coming LOL... Super hot and humid! I drank lots of Aquarius, good stuff.

geoff
Yep. My ride was around a lake too.
Old 08-02-15, 05:40 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Foot cramps are usually a fit issue, but I'd look into a cheap fix first. If it doesn't work you aren't out much $$$.
What kind of a fit issue? Cramming a foot into too small a shoe? My wife is trying clip-in shoes for the 1st time and she gets crazy foot cramps, to the point where she stopped mid-ride to take her shoes off. Also not a hydration issue, she is a distance runner and has all that squared away. The people at REI (where the shoes came from) not really helpful.

She does also have higher arches.
Old 08-02-15, 06:34 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Ok. Are your feet cramping with spasms or do the arches and toes just intensely hurt? i have had the same issues but with no muscle cramps (spasms).

there are a few thing I have done that have helped me
1. Calf, foot and hamstring stretching everyday-- even on rest days. This helps a LOT.
2. Hydration and electrolyte replacement, as many have previously said.
3. Make sure the shoes are not too tight.
4. Add a little arch cookie under your arch, but not too high. You'd be surprised how only 1/8" can make a big difference. If it feels too high, try 1/16". It is possible that any addition may be too much, so you'll have to experiment with that. If your calf muscles are very tight, any addition to your arch height can be very sensitive. It's a bio mechanical thing that would take a long time to explain.
5. Are you bow legged? If so, that means your lower legs are pointing slightly in to the midline of the bike, instead of straight down. I placed a screw washer on the screw closest to the big toe side of my cleats. This caused my shoes (and feet) to be slightly tilted in toward the midline of the bike. Basically it was an external tilt to the shoes rather than a shoe insert with a medial wedge. Caution: I would do this last. I did this, and it helped my foot pain. But it made my Ilio-tibial band syndrome worse. If you try this, do a real short side first, then gradually increase your rides.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.