Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Batavus Randonneur GL project

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-02-18, 05:32 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts

I enjoy projects and I enjoy tinkering and making photographs so I figured I'd start a thread of my own.

Last summer I wanted to go for longer distances and was looking for a slightly lighter, faster bike after my girlfriend gave me a run for my money on her Batavus Sprint while I was trying to keep up on a 23Kg upright 8-speed IGH city bike.
It's doable but maintaining 25-30kph all day on that combined with her looking over her shoulder to see where I was get annoying after a while.

So, I wanted something that was suitable for some lightweight touring and not too expensive and as such I ended up looking for randonneur bicycles on local eBay for a few weeks.

Now I am quite tall @192cm or 6'4" with long legs but don't have a very long torso. In fact my girlfriend at 182cm 6' is often looking down on me when we sit side to side since she has the opposite problem.
Finding jeans that are long enough is often tricky and my current bike is a size 62 with a very extended saddle.

I came across the Batavus Randonneur GL in my size and €125 / $155 later I was riding my 'new' bike home for 30 km.

The Bike:

(As I bought it) - More pics here.

Current Iteration: (2019-Mar-28)

Specs:
Background info on the bike:

Batavus (Wikipedia) is a Dutch company that has been around since 1904 and through a series of acquisitions became one of the 'Big 3' bicycle manufacturers of The Netherlands. (The others being Gazelle and Sparta)
They go bankrupt in 1986 but the Atag Cycle Group buys the company.
At the 1986 and 1992 Olympic games they are the official supplier of the Dutch team and this is where my bike comes in.

It's a bit tricky to tell but my bike seems to be from around 1990, most likely a bit earlier. I haven't found a good place to decipher the frame number yet but I did contact Batavus on Facebook and they dug into the archives in their museum.

(Excerpt from the 1990 catalogue - See attachment)

Translation:
"Randonneur GL. Grand Luxe for demanding tourists. The Randonneur GL is a thoroughbred with all the extras you could think of that make even the longest tours comfortable. Especially stable handbuilt frame made of Reynold 531 ST double butted chrome molybdenum tubing. Heavy-duty front- and rear carrier. Shimano Deore II componentgroup with Biopace crankset, SIS rear derailleur and "full-fit" pedals. With halogen headlight en aluminum two-legged kickstand. With cantilever brakes and 18 gears: fl1,979.- Color: black/red."

Turns out the GL stands for Grand Luxe and while this was a later model with a slightly different set of components it does seem to be the same model.

Specs 1990:
- Handbuilt frame
- Reynold 531ST double butted
- Vetta branded racks
- Shimano Deore II group 18 speed (3x6)
- Cantilevers
- Sidewall dynamo front and rear lights with a halogen headlight
- aluminum twinleg kickstand
- Fl. 1979,- back in 1990 so around €1566 / $1960 today

Specs mine:
- Sachs-Hurett New Success touring front and rear derailleurs.
- Campagnolo Record hubs
- Weinmann brake levers and cantilevers
- Blackburn rear rack
- Weinmann AG A129 Concave rims

From the sparse information on the internet I managed to gather some more pictures of other bikes which were outfitted with a gorgeous Stronglight 107 triple optional Blackburn lowriders.

(JulianK - Rad-forum.de)

Future plans:
In the meantime I have replaced the tires with a fresh new pair and replaced the brake cables and replaced the pads with salmon Koolstops.
I replaced the original cracked plastic Esge fenders with a pair of stainless steel Weinmann fenders I managed to score for cheap and put Cane Creek aero levers + crosslevers on.

The rear rack bolt snapped so I had to cut it off but I will be replacing that with a nice Tubus in the future.
I got a cheap Velo Orange Campeur front rack on local eBay but It is missing a few parts so I am waiting for now.

The idea is to replace the current Shimano cranks with a classic Stronglight or Spécialités TA crankset and update the lights to modern LED lights. a few other things like bar-end shifters but I'll see that when I get there.

My goal is not to restore this bike to its original state since it is not that pristine anymore but I do intend to make it a semi-classic looking bike that can be used for touring again. Just with some modern lights and upgrades where possible.

Thanks for looking and when the weather gets a bit better around here I will start updating again if people are interested.

Other threads:

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-05-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 06:34 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Nice bike and background info. I've seen some older Batavus but nothing like that. Look forward to updates.
Old 02-02-18, 06:51 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
killer score! if that doesnt have you keeping up you will have some explaining to do.
Old 02-02-18, 10:08 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Great write up! Reminded me of the great narratives that [MENTION=53844]@non-fixie puts on.

Plenty of interest here!
Old 02-02-18, 01:08 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
killer score! if that doesn't have you keeping up you will have some explaining to do.
We'll put it to the test soon enough.

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Nice bike and background info. I've seen some older Batavus but nothing like that. Look forward to updates.
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Great write up! Reminded me of the great narratives that [MENTION=53844]@non-fixie puts on.

Plenty of interest here!
Thanks! And I feel honored by the comparison.
Putting some effort into researching this is half the fun.

I'll try to put up some updated soon.
Old 02-02-18, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Great looking Batavus.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-18, 05:42 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Good to see that Batavus back here again. This forum could do with more vintage Batavi.

And yes, we would like to be kept informed of any progress, please.

Old 02-18-18, 01:19 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Took the bike out for a ride today to get a better feel for it and while some parts are still in the mail.

Finally figured out why the Front Derailleur was throwing my chain off from time to time.

Turns out one of the adjustment screws was worn, making it possible to just push the FD through and throwing the chain off the big ring. Quite messy.

Replaced it with a 4mm allen screw for now but I haven't been able to find a thin-headed screw to really replace it.

Hopefully some bigger updates soon.
Old 02-19-18, 01:02 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
Wonderful job, the build just fits with those fenders.
Old 02-19-18, 09:09 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Replaced it with a 4mm allen screw for now but I haven't been able to find a thin-headed screw to really replace it.
You could always cut the screw head off with a hacksaw, then carefully cut a slot in the top with the hacksaw.
Old 02-19-18, 10:11 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Good to see that Batavus back here again. This forum could do with more vintage Batavi.
Plural of Batavus= Batavi!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-19-18, 10:13 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Took the bike out for a ride today to get a better feel for it and while some parts are still in the mail.

Finally figured out why the Front Derailleur was throwing my chain off from time to time.

Turns out one of the adjustment screws was worn, making it possible to just push the FD through and throwing the chain off the big ring. Quite messy.

Hopefully some bigger updates soon.
Well that sucks... those Sachs/Huret FDs are really cool. I kept mine on my Trek 620- I could replace it with any number of outrageously "cool" FDs with all the "cred" in the world- but this thing just works well. Exactly what an FD is supposed to do, and it looks pretty cool while doing it.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-19-18, 03:13 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Piff
Wonderful job, the build just fits with those fenders.
It is. It was looking really great last weekend with the sun we had here.

Originally Posted by jj1091
You could always cut the screw head off with a hacksaw, then carefully cut a slot in the top with the hacksaw.
Last time I did that was with a broken bolt on a rack. I ended up having to drill it out.
This will work for now and allen bolts are cheap anyway.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Well that sucks... those Sachs/Huret FDs are really cool. I kept mine on my Trek 620- I could replace it with any number of outrageously "cool" FDs with all the "cred" in the world- but this thing just works well. Exactly what an FD is supposed to do, and it looks pretty cool while doing it.
Speaking of that, what are people's thought on disassembling and cleaning derailleurs? Both front and rear.

I was thinking of taking them both off and giving them a good clean and lube in the small sonic cleaner I have here but I don't want to ruin anything.
Old 02-19-18, 03:38 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Speaking of that, what are people's thought on disassembling and cleaning derailleurs? Both front and rear.

I was thinking of taking them both off and giving them a good clean and lube in the small sonic cleaner I have here but I don't want to ruin anything.
They look like they could use a good cleanup. I don't see what you could ruin by doing so.
Old 02-28-18, 11:09 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Cleaned the rear derailleur today!

It was really filthy and I wanted to replace the pulley wheels with red aluminum ones to give it some color:

Bad news: The bolt of these Sachs pulley wheels is larger than the Shimano ones.
Good news: The original pulley wheels looked pretty much new so for now they are staying in.

Tossed everything in the sonic cleaner and took an old dishwasher brush to get the worst of the gunk off.

All apart.
Old 02-28-18, 12:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Good job. Good weather for it, too.

Old 02-28-18, 04:17 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Good job. Good weather for it, too.
Yeah, it's quite cold around here. -8C with a nice wind so running to the shed in the garden is enough to have frozen fingers.

Sachs-Huret New Success touring lubed, oiled and back together again:

This was actually fun to figure out and put back together again. These things just keep separating into smaller and smaller pieces. )

And to quote Disraeligears: "It is a monster. Not content with a massively long pulley cage, it also has longer parallelogram plates (47mm) than the ‘racing’ version (which has 40mm plates)."

Here it is side to side with a Shimano 600 short cage:

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-28-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 04:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like the sachs huret new sucess RD; I have the short cage version of that derailleur that I'm thinking of using on a build.

The shimano deore is a fine crank and frankly more practical than some of the alternatives (like the Stronglight 107) you are thinking about. There is a lot to be said for the 110/74 bcd triple crank.
Old 02-28-18, 04:42 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the sachs huret new sucess RD; I have the short cage version of that derailleur that I'm thinking of using on a build.

The shimano deore is a fine crank and frankly more practical than some of the alternatives (like the Stronglight 107) you are thinking about. There is a lot to be said for the 110/74 bcd triple crank.
The Stronglight 107 is beautiful and was original on this bike. But with second hand prices going for close to $400 (!) I'm definitely not going that route.

Though with France close by there are plenty of people selling alternative cranks like the 6-bolt Spécialités TA Cyclotouriste for prices around $50.

But you are right, the Deore is a good alternative and very much the modern standard.
Old 02-28-18, 04:48 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

This was actually fun to figure out and put back together again.
I love dérailleurs. Clever pieces of technology, yet you don't need a PhD to figure out how they work. Simple and effective. Last year I literally spent hours riding behind mrs non-fixie, just to see her Allvit at work.

Old 02-28-18, 04:51 PM
bikemig 

The Stronglight 107 is beautiful and was original on this bike. But with second hand prices going for close to $400 (!) I'm definitely not going that route.

Though with France close by there are plenty of people selling alternative cranks like the 6-bolt Spécialités TA Cyclotouriste for prices around $50.

But you are right, the Deore is a good alternative and very much the modern standard.
Wow, $400? I have one and had no idea it was worth anything close to that but that is an asking, not a selling price, and that is perhaps also a NOS price. $50 is cheap for a TA; I suspect they go for more than that in the US.
Old 02-28-18, 05:01 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Wow, $400? I have one and had no idea it was worth anything close to that but that is an asking, not a selling price, and that is perhaps also a NOS price. $50 is cheap for a TA; I suspect they go for more than that in the US.
Well, if you are ever loking to sell it I might be interested.

Indeed a NOS price but I have rarely seen the triple version for sale.

As for the Ta, just look for "Pédalier triple" on eBay and you will see lots of French sellers with prices between $50-70. A lot more when it is not France.
Old 02-28-18, 05:18 PM
bikemig 

Well, if you are ever loking to sell it I might be interested.

Indeed a NOS price but I have rarely seen the triple version for sale.

As for the Ta, just look for "Pédalier triple" on eBay and you will see lots of French sellers with prices between $50-70. A lot more when it is not France.
It's a 170 so you may find it short. I have to decide whether I want to use it on the mercier 300 I'm rebuilding. Frankly a stronglight 99 or a 93 is more appropriate for that vintage bike.
Old 02-28-18, 05:55 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Last year I literally spent hours riding behind mrs non-fixie, just to see her Allvit at work.
So that's what you Europeans call it...

Old 02-28-18, 09:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I think he's running a 6400 double- check the first post at the top. The 2nd pic is someone else's bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.