Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Museeuw MFC 1.0; anyone have opinions on these?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-06-20, 05:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts

I bought one of these from Planet bike today, never heard of them previously but for 200 shipped for a carbon frame and what looks like a matching fork it seemed like a reasonable risk to take. Right now I don't really like the overall fit of my race bike and want something just a bit smaller and this provides that. Planet bike makes it sound like all the frames are made in Italy but with an original MSRP of 600 that doesn't seem reasonable, so is this just Chinese?
The whole flax built in to reduce vibration dampening seems like a cool niche thing though don't know how that really works and the geometry seems right overall for a comfortable but sporty bike.
I'll be building with the Sram Force 2x10 group on the current bike and just have to pick up a new BB and seatpost.
Old 03-06-20, 08:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
A link to information about this frame would have been useful unless you assume that we are all slaves just hoping to look up stuff for you
Old 03-06-20, 10:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by alcjphil
A link to information about this frame would have been useful unless you assume that we are all slaves just hoping to look up stuff for you
Asked for opinions on them, if you know nothing about them can you give an informed opinion?
Old 03-07-20, 05:30 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Asked for opinions on them, if you know nothing about them can you give an informed opinion?
Russ, you are asking for an opinion, not fact. Someone knowledgeable about bikes,such as ajclphil, can, in fact, give an informed opinion about what they have read from an information source. In my opinion, your post would be better served with the asked for links available, and when asked pre-sale instead of post-sale.
Old 03-09-20, 01:55 PM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I bought one of these from Planet bike today, never heard of them previously but for 200 shipped for a carbon frame and what looks like a matching fork it seemed like a reasonable risk to take. Right now I don't really like the overall fit of my race bike and want something just a bit smaller and this provides that. Planet bike makes it sound like all the frames are made in Italy but with an original MSRP of 600 that doesn't seem reasonable, so is this just Chinese?
The whole flax built in to reduce vibration dampening seems like a cool niche thing though don't know how that really works and the geometry seems right overall for a comfortable but sporty bike.
I'll be building with the Sram Force 2x10 group on the current bike and just have to pick up a new BB and seatpost.
I bought one last fall and built it up with a Campag groupset for my wife. She hasn't ridden it much, so no feedback on the ride quality. Build wise, it was a very nice frame. Handmade in Belgium, too. Only quibble I had with it - they mis-spelled Museeuw on the right side - the M is upside down!

Old 03-09-20, 04:07 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by jad3675
I bought one last fall and built it up with a Campag groupset for my wife. She hasn't ridden it much, so no feedback on the ride quality. Build wise, it was a very nice frame. Handmade in Belgium, too. Only quibble I had with it - they mis-spelled Museeuw on the right side - the M is upside down!

Nice, thank you. I went with the white but really considered the black.
Old 03-10-20, 09:28 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts

How's the tire clearance?
Old 03-10-20, 05:41 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by shoota
How's the tire clearance?

Clearance with a 25mm challenge Criterium on a velocity quill rim which is 24.5 external and 21mm internal width. Really not a comfortable amount.

Better clearance at the brake bridge but not impressive.

Swiped my wife's to try, this is a velocity A23 which is 23mm external with 18mm internal. The tire is a 25mm Continental GP4000 IIs

Basic issue with the frame is it has older tire clearance and won't handle the current trend to wider tires. The continental/A23 combo was 26.8mm wide according to my calipers while the Challenge/Quill was 27.2mm wide with a nice round look. While either will "work" it wouldn't take much to have to walk from anything that puts the wheel out of true.

The frame does state made in Belgium though the fork had a sticker with Asian markings so I'm guessing the fork is china or taiwan. Weight wise the frame/fork/headset/seat collar are 3.61lbs per my scale.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-10-20, 07:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Hmmmm. I could see myself building one of these. Lots of missing info though. Do they come with the headset? If so is it pressed in? Was the cable pull through the frame easy? I built a carbon Marin for my wife and was pleased that there was some kind of sleeve inside the frame that made the pull super simple. What seat post diameter? Looks like a press fit BB.
Old 03-11-20, 07:29 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Hmmmm. I could see myself building one of these. Lots of missing info though. Do they come with the headset? If so is it pressed in? Was the cable pull through the frame easy? I built a carbon Marin for my wife and was pleased that there was some kind of sleeve inside the frame that made the pull super simple. What seat post diameter? Looks like a press fit BB.
I've read in other forums that it's BB86 and 31.6mm.
Old 03-11-20, 09:44 AM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Shoota is right on post and bb. The frame comes with three additional inserts for the derailleur cable stops and rubber pieces to insert for electronic shifting, there are an extra set of bolt holes further down from the bottle cage and two rubber closed openings near it which also seem to help support electronic shifting.
The headset, which is an inset, is included along with several carbon spacers though you will need to install the crown race and the steerer tube is way too long. The seatpost clamp was also in the box. That's all it came with though.
There are plastic tubes running through the der cable openings, these were bent over at the end and heavily taped, the tape was a pain as they didn't make the tubes long enough to just nip the ends. Also not certain what the deal was but even though I came from a slightly larger bike and had to trim down the old housing for the best looking cable runs a brand new der cable barely made it from one end to the other, didn't have to cap it since I didn't have enough to trim.

Had to toss on an old wheelset to get it running, this is from my old cross bike. With these wheels; King cross hubs with steel carrier, dt straight spokes and velocity aeroheads the bike weights 17.3 lbs according to my scale which is reasonably rependable. The 25mm challenge fits ok on these older width rims. I'll run these for the next week while I order in a pair of A23, some double butted spokes to match and pair them with a set of 23mm challenge criterium or conti 4000s, either will be fine. I expect at that point the bike will be in the 16lb range as the spokes will be lighter and the rear hub almost a 1/2lb lighter. A test on the street felt good, I'll be picking up my daughter from school and we're going out for 20mi today to give it a better test. Full test will be thurs when I'll take it for a 40mi while all the kids are in school.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-11-20, 12:07 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That looks nice in white. And they put the Museeuw sticker on the right way, too.

FWIW, The code 'Welcomeback' gives you 10% off at Planet Cyclery

John
Old 08-08-20, 09:32 AM
RandyRoubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's the ride? Thinking about one for myself.

Thanks
Randy
Old 08-08-20, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Carbon-Flax Composite? they said that was their innovation...
Old 09-15-20, 09:19 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
What sort of headset do you use on these?
Old 09-15-20, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Sort? Integrated type.. as it appears..
Old 09-15-20, 10:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
W? I got enough grief riding my Faggin. Does it come with a headset?