Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Conn. vs. NY bicycle acceptance difference on tour

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Conn. vs. NY bicycle acceptance difference on tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 05:47 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
That lady seems nice - at first I thought she was cheering you on....but then I saw Connecticut.

CT is known as "The Nutmeg State" - regardless of other historical explanation, I suspect it's because the inhabitants act like they have nutmeg seeds stuck up their arses.
There are effectively no county governments and little state government. It is all separate towns and people get entitled and insular.
Old 07-24-20, 07:07 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
---

Last edited by forresterace; 08-02-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 09:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
We just toured the North Shore of Long Island and the Connecticut Shoreline. Though separated by a few miles of water or highway, the driving culture was completely different. Narrow, heavily traveled “country” roads on the north shore and north fork saw universal competent passing even with fast driving.

Connecticut was terrifying.
As a contrasting experience, I had a truly wonderful time riding on the roads of southeastern Connecticut this spring, from the shoreline up to about 15 miles inland.

In fact, I had such a wonderful time that I finally became comfortable with the idea of riding on roads, where previously I'd been all but exclusively sticking to rail trails.

A couple of times I ventured places where the speed limit and lack of a shoulder made that in retrospect a decision I'll probably not repeat, but people were fairly reasonable about that, too.

Not meaning to diminish or doubt anyone else's experience, I just don't think you can generalize by state, but really have to consider particular localities, types of road, times of day, and what sort of day a particular driver is having.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-28-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 10:39 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by UniChris
As a contrasting experience, I had a truly wonderful time riding on the roads of southeastern Connecticut this spring, from the shoreline up to about 15 miles inland.

In fact, I had such a wonderful time that I finally became comfortable with the idea of riding on roads, where previously I'd been all but exclusively sticking to rail trails.

A couple of times I ventured places where the speed limit and lack of a shoulder made that in retrospect a decision I'll probably not repeat, but people were fairly reasonable about that, too.

Not meaning to diminish or doubt anyone else's experience, I just don't think you can generalize by state, but really have to consider particular localities, types of road, times of day, and what sort of day a particular driver is having.
I can confidently generalize from my 16 years of cycling the state and compare my experiences with other places. If you think that you do not belong on roads without shoulders, or speed limits over X, I would say that you may share that opinion with the drivers who chose to enforce a similar opinion agressively with their motor vehicles.

I will carry on riding legally on the roadways of my state.
Old 08-02-20, 10:40 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by forresterace
My wife was unintentionally hit by a drunk on her bike in our Queens neighborhood. He intentionally ran, but that is not what we are talking about here
What was he doing on her bike?[/QUOTE]runing it over with his lexus es350
Old 08-02-20, 12:58 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
If you think that you do not belong on roads without shoulders, or speed limits over X, I would say that you may share that opinion with the drivers who chose to enforce a similar opinion agressively with their motor vehicles.
Perhaps you'd like to re-read what I wrote, as what I said is that people were "fairly reasonable" about those situations, too.

Just because people weren't "aggressive" about it does not change the reality that they were not good situations for either myself or those drivers.

It's not like there was anything I had to do on that road specifically; I went for a ride and tried out a road as on a map it looked like it might be useful for a future Century course. After riding it, I decided it wasn't a very good choice. But on the scale of that sort of distance, there were plenty of other roads to chose from. As it happens I've ended up doing my long rides elsewhere, anyway. And it happens that I learned there's a road there I'd rather avoid, too. And another one that's a good alternative, though maybe not so great at rush hour...

There's cycling politics... and then there's recognizing the situation you are in and thinking about alternatives for next time.

Last edited by UniChris; 08-02-20 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 11:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

We just toured the North Shore of Long Island and the Connecticut Shoreline. Though separated by a few miles of water or highway, the driving culture was completely different. Narrow, heavily traveled “country” roads on the north shore and north fork saw universal competent passing even with fast driving.

Connecticut was terrifying. Horns, screaming, cutting off me or my kids to run us off the road — tailgating inches off my back wheel and leaning on the horn... and it really seemed like every other driver had an angry, enraged look on their face, even when we were just resting with our tour bikes on the side of the road. Restaurants and state parks had a similar difference in vibe.

Why are these states so different?
That woman needs a good shot of wasp spray right in her wide open mouth.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-03-20 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-03-20, 11:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
If you want to throw around trite generalizations about millions of people, then be prepared for others to do the same. Would you like us to offer up some stereotypes about rural life and flyover states?
We are all lovable easy going little fuzz bunnies.

Btw an example of what I was talking about. In one tech class I was asking the instructor a question. My question was somewhat halting because the question was complicated. A guy from NY piped up and said spit it out. I stopped right there, and said to him golly Joe where im from, I am considers one of the fast talkers. The class gave him a good laugh.
Old 08-10-20, 05:25 AM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I agree...I have lived in both states and the people aren't as friendly in CT. If I went to a private beach at the shore, someone would always ask who I was, or who I knew...The countryside is mostly a polluted mess due to their silver and metal history. After I moved to Central NY everyone seemed so chill and relaxed. The countryside is beautiful with water everywhere! You can buy a nice home in the Finger lakes with skiing nearby for less than 200k.
Old 10-11-20, 05:55 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by spoofer
I agree...I have lived in both states and the people aren't as friendly in CT. If I went to a private beach at the shore, someone would always ask who I was, or who I knew...The countryside is mostly a polluted mess due to their silver and metal history. After I moved to Central NY everyone seemed so chill and relaxed. The countryside is beautiful with water everywhere! You can buy a nice home in the Finger lakes with skiing nearby for less than 200k.
shut up. Don’t tell people this. Finger Lakes area is all full up. The cheapest run down shacks on 0.05 acre swamps are $1.8M. The water is full of mercury from all of the old Kodak factories in every town, village, and shire. The turkeys are all rabid, the deer have lazer guns on their antlers, and the crows all have year-round diarrhea. Central New York is like if you mixed the awful smell of driving through Delaware to get to Maryland and the crazy drugged out Florida billionaires robbing gas stations with alligators while rolling coal in their lifted diesel bubba trucks on the shoulder of every road.
Old 10-12-20, 09:52 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
You had me at rabid turkeys and year-round diarrhea.
Likes For Danhedonia: