Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim brake groupset availability in years to come?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-16-20, 10:50 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I know the pros/cons have been done to death, but this is a different question. Do you think groupset manufacturers will continue to sell rim brake sets for say the next 5-10 years?

I am committing to rim brakes for a bike, and want to be able to upgrade the groupset. It's a titanium frame that I can see myself keeping for quite a while.

I already see that Di2 rim groupsets seem to be not so easy to get.
Old 08-16-20, 11:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I think it's more related to the bike manufacturers. It's more expensive to make 2 versions of the same frame and some are already only offering disc versions. Now of sub $1000 bikes where both rim and disc are cable operated... you might still have a choice.

Kind of like trying to get a car with a manual transmission.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-16-20, 11:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I expect they will be around for several more years. And if for some reason they become scarce, you could find NOS of current groupsets for several more years. The combined effects should get you 10+ years.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-16-20, 11:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I think it's more related to the bike manufacturers. It's more expensive to make 2 versions of the same frame and some are already only offering disc versions. Now of sub $1000 bikes where both rim and disc are cable operated... you might still have a choice.

He's asking if he'll be able to get a new transmission for the car he'll already have.
Old 08-16-20, 11:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
He's asking if he'll be able to get a new transmission for the car he'll already have.
I restore air cooled VWs and you can still rebuild a 50 year old transmission.

But it's unclear if the OP wants to buy them now of be able to buy them in the future.
Old 08-16-20, 12:58 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I think manufacturers will continue to offer rim brakes for quite some time, at least I feel Shimano will. I mean, you can still get an 8 speed Shimano Claris groupset. However, the caveat I think you'll need to keep in mind is, in the future, if you want rim brakes, you may need to downgrade. In other words, let's assume you have Dura Ace with rim brakes now. Perhaps in a few/several years Shimano will stop offering Dura Ace as a rim brake option and instead you may have to settle for Ultegra or 105. With "trickle down" technology that's not necessarily a "downgrade," so to speak. Today's Ultegra is more or less (at least on paper) on par with yesterday's Dura Ace, and on, and on down the line...

Last edited by mrblue; 08-16-20 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For mrblue:
Old 08-16-20, 01:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
I too worry that as the years go by, choices of rims and rim brake wheel sets will get fewer and fewer. Certainly no big advances in materials or technology unless it super easily can be applied to the manufacture of something that will have a small market share.

But who really knows. Hopefully we can at least just buy a new bike with whatever the latest tech trend is.
Old 08-16-20, 01:46 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I see them fading out of existence as from the standpoint of being manufactured but as a matter of finding “old” parts like we do for vintage muscle cars, will be out there. It will eventually get so scarce and eventually hard to find.

The stand by manufacturers to gravitate toward disc has taken off quickly. So quick that it is dismaying to me. I am okay with the option but don’t do away from old school minds like mine who like rim brakes.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 08-16-20, 04:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Rim brakes ain't dead yet.. as long as some pros or teams still opt to run them

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/wout...rakes-so-what/
Old 08-16-20, 07:50 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
As a practical matter, rim brakes will be around forever on Ebay. I have bikes with 1, 10, 30 and 40 year-old rim brakes and they all work fine.
Old 08-16-20, 07:57 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I think some of it also might have to do with World Pro Tour riders are asking for, also. At least the star riders. Sagan one year for Paris Roubaix opted for rim brakes in case of a wheel change. He QR was faster. Contedor wanted the lightest bike possible, so he opted for rim brakes.
Old 08-16-20, 07:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
As a practical matter, rim brakes will be around forever on Ebay. I have bikes with 1, 10, 30 and 40 year-old rim brakes and they all work fine.
I hear that, and it’s true. However have you tried to find a 10 speed Shimano brifter recently? I think at some point you’re going to being scrounging for a depleted stock of used and NOS. How fast that happens is open to debate.

Fortunately, I’ll likely be pushing up daisies before the supply is exhausted.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-16-20, 08:01 PM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I restore air cooled VWs and you can still rebuild a 50 year old transmission.

But it's unclear if the OP wants to buy them now of be able to buy them in the future.
Want to buy rim di2 now, and lots of stores have only disc in stock. So, was wondering about when replacement time comes for the groupset, say 3 years down.
Old 08-16-20, 10:16 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Brake calipers are easy. If you can’t get Dura Ace, you might still be able to get 105. And if that fails, Tektro will likely be able to supply calipers for a few more decades.

I would be more worried about brake/shifter combos.
Old 08-16-20, 11:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I see them fading out of existence as from the standpoint of being manufactured but as a matter of finding “old” parts like we do for vintage muscle cars, will be out there. It will eventually get so scarce and eventually hard to find.

The stand by manufacturers to gravitate toward disc has taken off quickly. So quick that it is dismaying to me. I am okay with the option but don’t do away from old school minds like mine who like rim brakes.
I remember being disappointed more than ten years ago that you couldn't get a road bike with disc brakes, only a cross bike. It's been a long time coming, for them to reach ubiquity. Really shocking that people resisted.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-16-20, 11:48 PM
thecycleclinic
Shop owner

Bikes: alot

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you only buy the bigger brands then yes rim brake models will disappear but smaller brands will maintain them. Likewise there will always be small rim brake manufanurers as there now and companies like tektro/trp.

besides there used frames.
Old 08-17-20, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I would be more worried about brake/shifter combos.
With mechanical disc brakes, this wouldn't concern me, unless you're specifically looking up-market; I could see Shimano eventually going hydro-only for Ultegra/DA but leaving 105 as an option for cable-actuated shifting and brakes, though I think that's a generation or more away. Then again, I could also see Shimano continuing with hydro only as they move on to 12-speed but keeping 11-speed mech/rim in lower quantity legacy production.
Old 08-17-20, 07:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
So, was wondering about when replacement time comes for the groupset, say 3 years down.
I don't know about other regions, but I believe that, by law in the US, they have to have parts available for at least 7 years after the product is discontinued.
Old 08-17-20, 07:28 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I'm riding a 30 year old bike and hopefully have another 25 years of riding left in me. I have no fear that parts will become unavailable in that time. A given manufacturer may end their line, but compatible parts will always be there.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-17-20, 07:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I see Microshift in my future. Possibly.
Old 08-17-20, 07:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Yes, you will still be able to get rim brakes, but as others have said, your choices for new options will be limited, and they will likely be of lower quality.

Use V-brakes as an example. Twenty years ago, V-brakes dominated the MTB market before Discs. Now, only lower end mountain bikes still use V-brakes. My nephews, for example, have kids mountain bikes with V-brakes. They aren't great brakes; so I went looking to replace them with something better, like Avid SD-7s. (Those were pretty solid V-brakes about 15 years ago.) They're not available. In fact, pretty much the only options available new are comparable to what came on their bikes. Even the eBay selection was spotty - I would have to buy two sets. Can't upgrade one and not the others.
Old 08-17-20, 08:03 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I'm not as worried about the groupset availability as much as the rims themselves. In a few years, there will be no bikes sold with rim brakes. Even big box bikes feature discs now. I have a couple extra rims in my garage, but what happens after that? At least Kool Stop will have pads for years to come.
Old 08-17-20, 03:46 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Stock up on what you think you'll need. It will be a good investment even if you don't end up using it because you'll be able to sell it for big bucks. Plus, places like Velo Orange and China will help us out.
Old 08-17-20, 04:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The decrease in variety/availability of rim brake rims would concern me more than the brakes themselves.
Old 08-17-20, 04:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I have zero inside information but I cannot imagine Campagnolo dropping rim brakes while star pros are still asking for them (and big races are being won on them).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.