Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

gloves - what do you use for cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 04:14 PM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Today was the first day where there was a bit of a chill in the air and i realized i will need gloves.
They will be for commuting & general riding, keep the cold and wet out.
The temperature is never terribly low, winter is rarely lower than 0 or -1 degrees Celcius, but wind and rain bring the chill factor (realfeel?) to around -7.

There are a LOT of options in gloves so id like to hear what people have found works in the real world.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-20, 04:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Here you go https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Old 08-29-20, 04:48 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Neoprene gloves, like these, work well in cold wet weather.
Old 08-29-20, 04:51 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I ride down to about freezing and in the range from 0 C to about 8 C or so, I use Bontrager JFW. I can ride for an hour or so and not regret it, though I won’t claim my hands always stay “warm”.

Below freezing, I usually end up wishing I had stayed home or done a shorter ride. If it is 8 C or warmer, I have some cheap fleece gloves with wind block that work well, maybe with my warm weather cycling gloves or some cheap liners inside.

Eventually it’s warm enough for just the basic cycling gloves with the liners.

Otto
Old 08-29-20, 05:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
https://www.backcountry.com/pearl-iz...yOQ==#the-wall

I take and older version of them when I tour in the mountains out west in case I get caught in cold rain/snow at altitude, which has happened.
Old 08-29-20, 05:24 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
This is what I wear during the course of the cycling season including bitterly cold Alberta winters.

Top Row –MEC full fingered gloves warm enough to keep the wind and cold out, Showers Pass wool knit gloves on damp and chilly days

Bottom Row – Waterproof neoprene NRS Mavericks for cold and rainy days. (These are made for kayaking but I find them ideal for cycling), 45Nrth Sturmfists for extreme winter protection

Old 08-29-20, 05:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Where I live and ride it gets too cold for " cycling specific gloves ", wearing gloves alone is not enough. I need to wear mittens or else I would get frostbite....And on some very cold days I need to layer up with a pair of thin lightweight glove liners and then wear mittens over my glove liners...In my experience the warmest gloves and mitts that I have are made from leather and have Sherpa lining on the inside. Sheep skin gloves and mitts are also very warm and comfortable...I avoid any "cycling specific gloves" because they are not designed for extreme cold weather.
Old 08-29-20, 05:39 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
When it’s cool I wear Gore Bike Wear Goretex gloves, when it’s cold I wear Castelli Estremo gloves. When it’s really cold I wear 45Nrth Sturmfist gloves and when it’s below freezing I slip those Sturmfists into Bar Mitts for a unique shifting experience.
Old 08-29-20, 05:43 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
A pair of medium-priced and slightly padded work gloves from the local home center/hardware store, made with synthetic materials, not the leather ones (synthetic can be easily washed). Normal winter temps here in the Los Angeles are get down to 40F/4C, occasionally it drops to freezing or just below that. The work gloves seem to handle that level of chill quite well for me. I'll typically wear full-finger gloves up to around 60F/15C, after that I switch to bicycling-specific half-finger gloves (the half-fingered work gloves don't feel comfortable for bicycling). Just my experience.
Old 08-29-20, 05:59 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
All kinds of gloves will keep your hands warm. For instance you can buy lined leather dress gloves. You can buy wool knit gloves, or cotton knit gloves. You can buy synthetic gloves with a fuzzy lining. Or wool mittens. Or the heavy cotton mittens building tradesmen wear in the winter. You can buy cotton work gloves, the best of which are Munks, Flex-Os and hot mill gloves. Or heavy leather Red Ram welding gloves.
Old 08-29-20, 06:20 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
50-60 F I have full finger cycling gloves, but when it's too cold, I wear loose knit synthetic gloves inside lightly padded mittens. Toasty enough to 32F, and slightly below. That's good for Atlanta.
Old 08-29-20, 06:45 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I have experimented with a series of gloves, some warmer than others and have had a pair since 2016 that I am very, very happy with.

But first, I wanted to share that I have tried neoprene and they work great at keeping hands warm down to freezing, but below that they are worse than many gloves because they don't breath and make my hands sweat...and moisture freezes. I do bike commute in snow, but under normal circumstances my hands stay dry, so neoprene is not necessary anyways.

I have also tried mittens, and they work well by allowing the four fingers to share their body heat, but the thumb is still alone and mittens can make shifting and braking a little difficult sometimes.

There seems to be a fine line between keeping the hands warm enough, and making them warm enough to sweat, which then makes them cold. Because of that I have different gloves for different temperatures. Down to around 48F (8.8C) I wear fingerless gloves. below that to about 38F (3.3 C) I wer long fingered cotton gloves. Below that to 30F (-1F) I wear light leatherette gloves with a cotton work glove over it. I want a warm, water-repellent, but breathable glove, and for me those are the 3M Thinsulate 40g pair I bought in 2016.

I can't find a model name or number, but this is what they look like:

They're fleece lined, and when they do get wet, or my hands sweat, I turn them inside out and put them in front of a fan in the office warehouse, or in the dryer at home.

Then below 20F (-6.6C) I wear a pair of cotton work gloves in side them to add "layering". And that is good down to my limit of 5F (-15C).

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-29-20 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 06:46 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
This thread reminds me with the gyms in NYC closed what my plan B will be come December. I think most of November I can deal with.
Old 08-29-20, 06:59 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I don't have what I consider big hands (wear a 10 wedding ring), but nearly all the winter gloves out there are too small. I find bar mitts to be the ideal solution, with only my usual fingerless gloves down to the 20s (F) working fine. Below that and I put on a pair of knit gloves.
Old 08-29-20, 08:30 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Mrs. NoWhammies bought me a pair of Gore winter-ish cycling gloves. I don't know the make/model but these gloves kick ass. Full five fingers and my fingers/hand stay toasty warm. That said, I am no riding in sub-zero weather. At the coldest, I'm out in 3 - 5 degree weather.
Old 08-29-20, 10:47 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
A few years ago I picked up a pair of rain resistant mittens at the local 'job lot' close-out store for $10.00. I've had specialized cycling gloves...Pearl iZumi "lobster" gloves for way more $$$. Mittens are SO much better. I live in southern New England and ride on the road into the signal digits F°.

Dan
Old 08-29-20, 11:49 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Dissent 133 Glove System
Old 08-30-20, 09:32 AM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by surak

Glove "system". What bull****. Used to be people just used gloves, now some people "get into" gloves. As this asinine thread thread shows: some people aren't confident enough to buy something as simple as a pair of gloves without advice.
Old 08-30-20, 10:53 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Glove "system". What bull****. Used to be people just used gloves, now some people "get into" gloves. As this asinine thread thread shows: some people aren't confident enough to buy something as simple as a pair of gloves without advice.

Disagree.
Don't known about these, & hard to picture wearing more than 3 layers effectively,
but layering gloves is certainly not BS & something designed for that is promising.
Old 08-30-20, 12:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
I have chapstick and often jokingly mock what my wife uses because its 5x more expensive and is called something like 'lip hydration care'. Its just chapstick.

But when it comes to a glove system, while that isnt something I want, I can see there being interest.
gloves are a damn mystery and there is a constant pursuit for 'the best' since there are so many options, products are so expensive, and its difficult to test out the quality before buying since conditions aren't the same.

This leaves many consumers with expensive gloves that trap sweat, gloves that arent warm at advertised temps, and gloves that are frustrating for various other reasons.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-30-20, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cheap ski gloves.. ..
Old 08-30-20, 03:08 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I do have a pair of lobster gloves and when it gets cold enough they are great. The problem is that I need to find them every winter. Last year I used them only a couple times. This year after the wife rearranged the drawers I have no confidence of actually finding them. It was fun to chat with my local store guy about my “oven mitts”. LOL.
Old 08-30-20, 08:40 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Wow, great input. Ever hear of Raynauds? If not look it up. Unfortunately I have and suffer with it in wait for it— my hands and fingers! Gloves are a big deal for folks like me. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, well I could make an exception. 😒
Old 08-30-20, 10:34 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I wear knit wool fingerless gloves that convert into mittens and have leather on the palm/grip. I love being able to switch on-the-fly between warm mittens and ventilated gloves. They're the perfect layering system.
Old 08-31-20, 04:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand...77189509&psc=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.