Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How about those 2020 TDF bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 03:55 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 368 Posts

As an Old Poop, I'm glad to see that the super compact styling of the race bikes seems to be fading and that most top tubes are crawling back toward being horizontal!
Looks to me that only Giant has ultra compact styling this year, and while most have a slightly slanted top tube, a few of the builders are back to full horizontal top tubes.
Don't know what to think about Trek, they seem to have stuck with the arched cruiser type frame.
https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...our-de-france/

Disk brakes almost universal, but wheel changes are so difficult that bike swaps for a flat are usual. I bet they will come up with a solution where the disk stays with the bike, but I don't know how they will do it on the back wheel!
Good news for us bottom feeders - nobody but collectors are going to want caliper brakes soon!
Old 08-31-20, 04:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Tubed clinchers just won their first ever stage.
Old 08-31-20, 04:56 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
God those things are fugly! My eyes! My eyes!
Likes For davester:
Old 08-31-20, 05:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
+1
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-31-20, 05:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,941 Times in 1,766 Posts
My thoughts too, mainly all black and boring blobs of plastic.
Old 08-31-20, 06:19 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Clearly not as pretty as just about anything vintage in our stables, but I think the Ridley is the best looking, the Trek, Cervelo and Bianchi are tied for the worst, with the Specialized, Factor, Pinarello, and Cannondale not far behind. The big factor in making them ugly for me is how bulbous they are in the head tube/stem area.
Old 08-31-20, 06:21 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I must admit I quite like the white Eddy Merckx I saw ridden on today’s stage 3. Very classy looking package. On the other end of the spectrum, Cousin’s blue Wilier got a lot of broadcast time today and was a completely uninspiring bike.
Likes For plonz:
Old 08-31-20, 06:22 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I like the old stuff and the new stuff. The late 90s, early 2000s trek USPS timeline is probably the worst era aesthetically for me.
Old 08-31-20, 06:33 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Yep they may well be ugly...but this is the top of the evolutionary tree (at least for the time being)...
Old 08-31-20, 07:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Is it a contest for which maker can get its name splattered the largest on the frame?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-31-20, 08:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,941 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Yep they may well be ugly...but this is the top of the evolutionary tree (at least for the time being)...
But is it really? Watched one of the wrecks in stage 1 and the mechanic couldn't even get the front wheel off to replace it. Had to swap the bike after failing to get the wheel unscrewed with the power too. That's evolution??
Old 08-31-20, 08:49 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
The bikes in that article may very well be used, but we have yet to see a number of them. Not super flattering views for several of those, and aero bikes are a bit bulky.

For those of us watching the TdF this year with these early mountain stages, the svelte climbing bikes and wheel setups have been nice to see. Cannondale's SuperSix, with its gloss black-to-dark-blue fade, pairs very well with the riders' kit colors. The tan wall tires, slender tubing, and AND AND low-section wheels, combined with the simple graphics, make for a very pretty bike. Nothing ungainly or inelegant. The Eddy Merckx bikes (and rider's kit) also look really nice. Stage 1's crash-fest got us a bunch of still/slow shots of the bikes.

Ok, the Vision sponsor's dumb stem looks horrible (the stock one is much better), and this photo is sadly dark, but man, look at how lithe it looks!

Ok, maybe this was last year with all that rim brake action. This year is still cool, even with discos.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-31-20, 09:24 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
The frame advertises "cannondale" (in large and awkward lettering) in only one obvious place.

Even more surprisingly, Joe Q Public is offered:

"cannondale" in only one obvious place, and not large. The rims don't scream a brand name either. (Photo nicked from Cannondale Yokohama.)

Is tasteless shoutiness on the way out?
Old 08-31-20, 09:41 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Is it a contest for which maker can get its name splattered the largest on the frame?
Why, yes it is!

Trek wins!!!
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-31-20, 09:44 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by microcord
The frame advertises "cannondale" (in large and awkward lettering) in only one obvious place.

"cannondale" in only one obvious place, and not large. The rims don't scream a brand name either. (Photo nicked from Cannondale Yokohama.)

There's been a definite trend away from the stock car racing look the last couple years. It needs to go farther. Perhaps some companies realized most people prefer not to ride an ugly billboard.

The TDF bikes though, as obnoxious as ever. I guess those kind of are stock racing cars though.
Old 08-31-20, 11:58 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I just can't get interested in any of those bikes, especially so for disk brakes.

I just don't worry about going fast any more. Very few ever pass me, maybe one of the electric bikers showing off, but I am not trying to go fast as much as the other riders are going slow.
Old 09-01-20, 12:14 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Looks like pretty much all racing RDs are long-cage these days. I can get behind that.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 09-01-20, 12:33 AM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
There's been a definite trend away from the stock car racing look the last couple years. It needs to go farther.
Say what you will about disk brakes, etc; that TdF Cannondale (let alone the grey one) is finished a lot less tackily than is my circa-30-year-old Cinelli "mens sana", whose frame had the goofy Latin motto on its top tube (until a previous owner very sensibly painted over it), "Cinelli" written in various places, and an assortment of strange wiggly lines and what look like rorschach blots or skin lesions or something. Also, I can't believe that the paint quality in today's China is as bad as it was in circa-1990 Italy.

But as long as we're riding our bikes, we don't have to look at them.
Likes For microcord:
Old 09-01-20, 05:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by microcord

Oh those welds! So NOT Cannondale! They look like someone took used bubble gum to stick the tubing together.

This is what a Cannondale weld SHOULD look like!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-01-20, 06:12 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I just watched Stage 2 last night, and really only noticed one bike, the Merckx.
Didn't even notice disc brakes. I may have to sell my collection.
Old 09-01-20, 06:23 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
This pprobably isn't related to this but. I watched the Brussels classic on the GCN app and the screeching from the brakes was horrible. All thru the peloton. It was very wet which may have been a factor but I thought that was the benefit of hydraulic brakes.
Now I haven't heard it as bad as that in the world tour races or very little anyway.. The Brussels classic was basically a pro am race. But the bikes are all top end stuff.
The cameras stayed with the winner at the end and every touch of the brakes as he went thru the crowd or stopped to meet friends family and such was a screech fest. I would have been embarrassed to ride that.
So what was going on. Listen to the finish on youtube.
It doesn't happen on motorcycles or cars which are the same brakes. So is it the fork that's not up to scratch?
And when do we get twin discs?
Old 09-01-20, 06:30 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Agreed. Every time I think that perhaps I should own one "modern" bike, I see what they look like.

One question might be... presuming a continuing trend, what will bikes look like in 25 years? These 2020's might look classic by comparison.

Old 09-01-20, 08:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I just watched Stage 2 last night, and really only noticed one bike, the Merckx.
Didn't even notice disc brakes. I may have to sell my collection.
SELL!?! They are worthless and should either be donated to the homeless who need transportation or be recycled back into steel rebar or aluminum foil.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-01-20, 09:32 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
As an Old Poop, I'm glad to see that the super compact styling of the race bikes seems to be fading and that most top tubes are crawling back toward being horizontal!

Good news for us bottom feeders - nobody but collectors are going to want caliper brakes soon!
Some cool stuff there, but I’m still not ready for discs yet, myself. 😉 I’m riding a 2014 Bianchi Quattro now though, so it has some decent features. 👍
Old 09-01-20, 10:03 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
This pprobably isn't related to this but. I watched the Brussels classic on the GCN app and the screeching from the brakes was horrible. All thru the peloton. It was very wet which may have been a factor but I thought that was the benefit of hydraulic brakes.
Now I haven't heard it as bad as that in the world tour races or very little anyway.. The Brussels classic was basically a pro am race. But the bikes are all top end stuff.
The cameras stayed with the winner at the end and every touch of the brakes as he went thru the crowd or stopped to meet friends family and such was a screech fest. I would have been embarrassed to ride that.
So what was going on. Listen to the finish on youtube.
It doesn't happen on motorcycles or cars which are the same brakes. So is it the fork that's not up to scratch?
And when do we get twin discs?
Less mass in the bike disc than motorcycle or car discs and modified friction coefficient of the pads against the disc when the disc is wet result in the squeal is my hunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.