Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How fast do you ride during your commute?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How fast do you ride during your commute?

Old 09-17-20, 01:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I haven't been commuting since early March, but have been riding to/from work everyday on my commute route which makes for 22.6 miles total. Lately I've been averaging 22.2mph moving time (not counting time spent waiting at lights) which requires me to push steadily hard as I can for 1hr. It is draining, but feels so good!
Old 09-17-20, 04:24 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
20mph cruising speed
25mph if I feel like a little electronic turbo action.

You should have made a poll! ;-)
Old 09-17-20, 04:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
My commute is between 14 and 21 miles, depending on which route I take. How fast or hard you do your ride depends on what you want out of your commute. Some say "Well why would I hurry up my commute?" To that I ask "Well why don't you just go 5 miles an hour?" You will find out that speed DOES matter to the vast majority of people, even if they don't say it or know it. I think what most people mean is that they ride at a comfortable pace and are ok with it, so why push it? Whatever all that is, it is up to them and I may be way off.
Uphill I do. On the flat to go that slow I would have to be in such a low gear that just my regular leg falling would spin out and that would be annoying. Downhill to go that slow of course I'd have to brake. Downhill I don't brake. Free speed is the best part of cycling.

Your approach and effort are up to you and what you can do.

My approach is to listen to my podcasts, while incidentally moving forward.

Looks like 9.8mph (that's moving time, the computer shuts off after a few stationary seconds at red lights) is the thread winner -- nobody is more relaxed than me!
Old 09-18-20, 08:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My commutes are generally 18-20 mph, door to door. Riding home, that is.

Going to work, in recent years it's been much slower, just enjoying the ride, thinking and planning the day, refreshed when I get there.
Old 09-19-20, 03:40 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I do a 20 mile round trip commute, average speed 11 to 13 mph. I take my time enjoy the ride and plan my day.. The ride home just enjoy!!!!!!
Old 09-21-20, 06:02 AM
mlaps

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been working from home for a number of years now. When I commuted by bike I was still riding a BMX and was in city traffic, so I'm sure my average speed wasn't that fast, but I wasn't loafing either. The thing with city biking is that even when you're in no rush, there are plenty of circumstances where you need to go all out. Quick starts at a traffic light to get out of the way of cars turning right. Getting up to match the flow of traffic so you can merge and get around an obstruction in the bike lane. Avoiding the taxi that accelerated to get around you and then pulls in front of you and immediately stops to let out a passenger. All those obstacles mean I'm working pretty hard and would show up to work pretty sweaty no matter how chill I tried to take it.
Likes For mlaps:
Old 09-21-20, 10:54 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by mlaps
Been working from home for a number of years now. When I commuted by bike I was still riding a BMX and was in city traffic, so I'm sure my average speed wasn't that fast, but I wasn't loafing either. The thing with city biking is that even when you're in no rush, there are plenty of circumstances where you need to go all out. Quick starts at a traffic light to get out of the way of cars turning right. Getting up to match the flow of traffic so you can merge and get around an obstruction in the bike lane. Avoiding the taxi that accelerated to get around you and then pulls in front of you and immediately stops to let out a passenger. All those obstacles mean I'm working pretty hard and would show up to work pretty sweaty no matter how chill I tried to take it.
I've retired and yea, that's what commuting in NYC was like. I did it on a converted MTB. I'd take it easy up the hill in Prospect Park but by the time I got to the bridge I was in fast mode. I'd take the bridge way too fast and I'd be all sweaty from that point on.
Old 09-24-20, 06:11 AM
yo vanilla

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cruising speed 15-18
Crushing it 20
Average around 13-14
I don't have a lot of long straight stretches in my 6 mile commute. A few, but I have a lot of stop and go, waiting for traffic lights, etc. 25 min overall time for this.
Old 09-24-20, 04:37 PM
.cosmonaut.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like to go fast, but realistically I should probably go slower and sweat less.
Old 09-24-20, 04:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I always showered at work so I made it a workout every time.
Old 09-28-20, 10:57 AM
JS one

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
App says I average around 12 to work.
Old 10-11-20, 03:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Went on a 3hr, 36 km ride with my 28 yr old son the other day. He kept telling me to go faster. I later told him that 1) I'm almost 60 yrs old; 2) I'm carrying all the gear ( the bike I scrambled for him didn't have a rack); and 3) normally when I'm riding on my own, I'm not rushing so I coast a lot.

My normal speed would be about 15 to 18 km/hr. But I guess I was doing around 20 or more with my son pushing me.
Old 10-24-20, 07:56 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
17.5 miles one way, with a very slight downgrade the whole way. Inbound usually takes between 55 - 70 minutes so avg. 17.5mph; home bound usually 65 - 80 minutes so slightly slower. Times don’t really change much regardless of what bike I ride be it my old Trek Hybrid or slickified old rigid mountain bike....
Old 10-28-20, 10:08 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I do notice that I'm 3-5 mph slower when the temps get below 40F.
Old 10-28-20, 11:34 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I ride about 20 miles each way and tend to average ~17.5.

Considering I am on a MUP (that is mostly empty) I'm pretty happy about it. Still adds about an hour to my day vs the car though so my wife tends to be less thrilled.

I also hate getting up early and dislike riding in the cold, so I'm really only an occasional fair weather commuter.
Old 11-01-20, 07:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Mista Sparkle
I ride about 20 miles each way and tend to average ~17.5.

Considering I am on a MUP (that is mostly empty) I'm pretty happy about it. Still adds about an hour to my day vs the car though so my wife tends to be less thrilled.

I also hate getting up early and dislike riding in the cold, so I'm really only an occasional fair weather commuter.
But you get two hours of workouts for a time cost of one hour, so you're saving time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.