Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nervex lugs Falcon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nervex lugs Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 03:11 PM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 60 Posts
Nervex lugs Falcon

Picked this old lady the other day with a sole mission to make it road worthy and donate to a NHS worker should it be desired. Needs gears looked at, brakes sorted, rear wheel has a buckle, etc. etc. but I recon it could be made into a beater type transportation that may survive a season or two without being stolen.

Before I do so, can someone shed some light into the model/type as it has some nice touches like Nervex lugs. If of any value at all, perhaps would swap it for a slightly more modern beater type bike or build something with spares in my shed and throw little money into a kitty.

Any info welcome.

Old 09-21-20, 03:33 PM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
The NHS have gone on strike or extended holiday since March with surgery and treatments cancelled, appointments deferred or cancelled, racking up massive waiting lists and morbidity. Doubt any of them would have time for cycling between ordering pizzas and making tik tok videos.
Likes For aland2:
Old 09-21-20, 05:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this interesting find!

Frame -

frame's lug pattern is not the well known scrolly NERVEX Professional but rather a somewhat similar looking one manufactured by Agrati of Italy.

it appears in the famous Bozzi parts catalogue of 1950 so many enthusiasts incorrectly refer to it as a Bozzi pattern.

it continued to be used by ACER-MEX (Windsor-Carabela) on some models well into the 1970's.

this photo illustrates the set loose where it is shown with a Malaguti style seat lug. buyers could select either a conventional seat lug with binder ears or a Malaguti style one as shown in the photo.

the cycle's seat lug and shell are of another pattern.

the frame's fork crown is also an Agrati item. it comes from the "SPORT" pattern ensemble and is stock number 000.8058.

the bottom bracket shell is Agrati "AM" pattern and is item nr. 000.8507.

dropouts are Cyclo (of England).

frame appears to be a 1960's era work.

the wraparound seat stay treatment usually means the highest quality tubing could be is three-tube 531 plain gauge.

---

original bar may have been a GB Allrounder; hence the Weinmann tourist pattern levers were reused when the bar was changed out to a drop model.

you should be able to get a specific date for the bicycle from its SA hub, if original.

---

-----

Last edited by juvela; 09-21-20 at 10:03 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-22-20, 12:55 AM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Originally Posted by aland2
The NHS have gone on strike or extended holiday since March with surgery and treatments cancelled, appointments deferred or cancelled, racking up massive waiting lists and morbidity. Doubt any of them would have time for cycling between ordering pizzas and making tik tok videos.

I do hear you and agree on many points as have a personal experience of delayed scans and operations. Still some are on the frontline and those are the ones I had in mind. There are other options to donate a bike anyway.
Old 09-22-20, 01:43 AM
Kekec1965

Many thanks for such comprehensive reply Juvela, much obliged. Will check for any signs of dates on the components. And yes, drop bars do look a bit off here with brake levers sticking out, so that was my first thought - to change it to something more appropriate.

Thanks again
Old 08-06-22, 11:22 PM
Falconguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, it’s a Falon Super Tourist, probably from the mid to late 1960’s period.
Likes For Falconguy:
Old 02-18-23, 10:14 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

frame ends set is by Cyclo of England

headset appears to be a model from Thomas D. Cross & Sons Ltd of Birmingham ("TDC")

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-18-23, 02:43 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I have a straight gauge Reynolds falcon. Very nice frameset. I hope whomever gets it enjoys it.