Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on solo riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on solo riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:28 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Thoughts on solo riding

Wonder if anyone else is like myself with mostly riding solo. My background as a runner mostly is I hate waiting for group runs. I did it for years then decided to run on my time and convenience. Now that I cycle more I find I am in the same mode. I have rode in group organized century's and that is cool. It is nice to ride with others but to make organized training rides seems to much. It is just as easy to go out the door and start riding. Seems to get the most bang for the precious time allowed to ride. It seems many on bf have group rides and training groups but wondered if any soloist out that find solo really the best. I like longer rides too.
Old 07-19-12, 07:31 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I ride solo 99% of the time. I like having the flexibility of departure time, pace and distance. I have no trouble keeping my mind occupied while riding. I've done group rides and have always enjoyed them but I rarely seek them out. I've ridden three organized rides this year...two I rode solo and one I rode with a woman with whom I had some good conversation.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-19-12, 07:32 AM
danmc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride solo, including an 80-mile ride. I don't like having to organize with people to decide what time to meet, where to go, how fast to ride, etc. But then again I'm a hermit with no friends. I can go a whole week without even using my cell phone. So you may not want to emulate me.
Old 07-19-12, 07:38 AM
pihb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i also ride solo. i am also a hermit esque. the only really person i talk to is my girlfriend and a couple friends.
Old 07-19-12, 07:39 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just don't put as many miles when im solo. i get bored before i get tired.

depending on who im riding with... i don't even keep the same pace but that's enough for me since i know somebody has the same route, stops, and destination as i am.

but then again, i don't train. i ride a lot but i just ride for fun.
Old 07-19-12, 07:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I do all my training solo but it is nice to meet people along the way and maybe say hello or chat a tiny bit. this is true whether I cam weight training; swimming; cycling or running the mill @ the gym.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-19-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 07:52 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly solo. Weekends start of with a group but invariably end solo most of the way. I'm training for a Half Ironman, which is a nondrafting race, but the real reason I train solo is that it's too time consuming to wait for the group start or regroups. Although I used to train almost exclusively with bike club groups and that was awesome.
Old 07-19-12, 07:55 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Solo is nice sometimes, but gets boring even if I don't say a word for 3 hrs.
Old 07-19-12, 07:55 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Id like to rde solo a bit more... The Only way to use hr based training is SOLO
Old 07-19-12, 07:57 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pihb
i also ride solo. i am also a hermit esque. the only really person i talk to is my girlfriend and a couple friends.
Having a girlfriend disqualifies you from being a hermit. I'm totally going to mock you on hermitforums.net
Old 07-19-12, 07:58 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Only solo for me. I'd ride in groups more often but I like to go when the mood hits me and usually that's right about now on weekdays and 6:00am on weekends. I also prefer to start riding as soon as I leave my driveway as opposed to driving somewhere to meet up with a group and start there. I like the solitude of a 100k ride alone. Then my ass hurts.
Old 07-19-12, 08:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
For me, it's a 50-50 mixture. When I ride with others, I invariably enjoy the company and conversation, but not the ride itself. If that makes sense... I will ride to socialize - and I do it twice per week.

But I will also ride for fitness and pure enjoyment. That does not involve others, who are unlikely to match my natural rhythm, much less when I want to push a bit more...
Old 07-19-12, 08:42 AM
ahson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am about 80% solo, 20% group ride. I find myself feeling tired much easier when doing solo because I tend to push it all the time. And no, I never feel bored when riding solo instead I like it a lot.
Old 07-19-12, 09:08 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Most of my riding is solo. I would say probably around 90-95%. However, I enjoy group rides more. I don't have to worry about seeking them out because the 2 groups I ride with are very organized and 1 uses Meetup.com to schdule rides. So, its very convenient and you even know up-front who's going on the ride.
Old 07-19-12, 09:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
99 % of my riding is solo. I can leave when I want, I can take a detour if some road I go by looks interesting, I don't have to wait for people at the tops of hills, and I don't have to listen to people blather about what they saw on TV. I find I pay more attention to my surroundings - not in an A&S way but in a enjoying it without distractions kind of way - when I ride alone. Plus, most people don't want to drive an hour or two and then ride a bike up a mountain.
Old 07-19-12, 09:26 AM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like a little of both. I think if you have a serious training plan you really need to ride solo for that unless you just have an easy spinning day where you don't have time/pace constraints.
Old 07-19-12, 09:37 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Almost always solo unless my girlfriend wants to ride with me which is about 2 times a month. Those rides are usually cruising avg around 11-12mph and we never go over 15mph. I live right where most people drive to ride along the beach so often I can roll out my door and sometimes pick up on one of the big group rides. There are quite a few that go through but I hardly ever make an effort to get to a set point at set time. My scedule is all over the place and cycling is just exercise for me.
Old 07-19-12, 10:09 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love riding solo, love riding in groups. Each has their own benefits.

Group rides can suck when they don't leave on time, are slow, are too fast, stopping because others get flats, breaks that should take 5 minutes take 15, stopping to regroup, not knowing/trusting the other riders ability to ride shoulder to shoulder with you, to name a few. They are great because it's a nice, fun, relaxed ride, and an especially great way to learn new routes without having to look for landmarks or street names and worry about missing a turn.

Solo rides suck because, well, u r alone. Mechanical breakdowns are on you, you have to stop for every flat tire they can be monotonous, you can't draft, etc...

Each type of ride has it's time and place, and I enjoy both.
Old 07-19-12, 10:21 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
99% solo. Not so much by preference as convienience. I ride just about every weekday morning. Tough to find a group that will get out more than once during the week. Unless my wife wants to go for a leisure ride, I rarely ride on the weekends when most of the local groups get together.
Old 07-19-12, 10:30 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mostly solo myself due to convenience/timing. The other people I know who ride are much older and have more lax work schedules, so they go early. I am already at work at 6am. Oh well.

Groups can be a lot of fun, and organized rides are great to build up some excitement, but I keep 'em fairly well spaced.
Old 07-19-12, 10:46 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I like to decide things democratically on any ride. That works out best in a democracy of one. Only a few group rides for me per year.
Old 07-19-12, 10:52 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I train on my own most of the time. It's a convenience thing, also no commitment - no definite time, distance, expectations, etc. Sometimes I'll head out and turn around and come back. Other times I'll start intending to do a short loop and end up on a longer ride.

However in order to push myself I have to have a group around me. I actually avoid group rides because they have to wait for me, not the other way around.

A related factor is that a group ride for me is just a ride. If I get shelled it's fine. I race in races, train in training, so group rides aren't a place where I go all out (except for a jump or two or maybe a minute or two to get a feel for how my legs are going). I'm a great training partner for those that want to win their group rides because I'll always let the others beat me.
Old 07-19-12, 11:07 AM
speedwobbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do most of my rides solo. A few weeks ago I just left my apartment at 9am, headed towards the mountains and just rode from village to village until I felt like coming home. Stopped a ton of times to take photos and a couple times for food before rolling home at 7pm. That's a little tough to do in a group.
Old 07-19-12, 11:18 AM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My work schedule (nights and weekends) will not give me lot of chances to ride with someone else. I got use to it. A radio will help. I use only one earphone to be aware of the surroundings.

And yes, I do ride a centuries by myself:
https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/q-4Ac_OMK3Q
However I am faster as group than solo.

On the bright side, none have to wait for me
Old 07-19-12, 11:18 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just clarify... i dont like big groups either.

When im not riding solo, i usually only have 1 other person with me.

I think my ideal would be no more than 5 riders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.