Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power meters and crank arms

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 10:47 AM
tak2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Does anyone know if changing the length of the crank arms has an effect on the power meter readings?
Old 12-29-23, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6347 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,408 Posts
AFAIK, all crank based PM's are installed on the crankarm by the maker of the PM. And AFAIK, the PM itself is just a strain gauge.

Perhaps the length does affect how much strain they detect at the particular location they are installed. However being installed by the maker, they are going to calibrate it to what ever is correct.

If you happen to have one that you install yourself, then what does the maker of the PM say about it? Or are you modifying a crank with some adapter or DIY? If so, I'd say expect your power to be incorrect.
Old 12-29-23, 11:56 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by tak2
Does anyone know if changing the length of the crank arms has an effect on the power meter readings?
What kind of power meter are you asking about?

It makes a big difference.
Example... I don't think a Hub power meter would care about crank length.

Barry
Old 12-29-23, 12:11 PM
tak2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
What kind of power meter are you asking about?

It makes a big difference.
Example... I don't think a Hub power meter would care about crank length.

Barry
I have a Domane+ with a TQ e-assist drive. It has an integral power meter which provides readings that I find suspect. I have never used a power meter before so don't really have anything to compare it with and have not been able to find any information on their power meter. I did put 172.5mm cranks on it from the stock 175. I believe this would be a hub power meter. Thanks
Old 12-29-23, 12:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by tak2
I have a Domane+ with a TQ e-assist drive. It has an integral power meter which provides readings that I find suspect. I have never used a power meter before so don't really have anything to compare it with and have not been able to find any information on their power meter. I did put 172.5mm cranks on it from the stock 175. I believe this would be a hub power meter. Thanks
Like Barry said, if the power meter is not in the crank arms themselves (which it isn't if you changed them) then their length doesn't matter.

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-29-23 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-29-23, 03:05 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 718 Posts
Hub Power Meter, wont care what is driving it... Human, electric, 100mm cranks. It measures power at the hub after the drivetrain has done it's stuff.
Crank Power meter, do care about crank length (but usually non-adjustable). (The new Shimano PM & Di2 even takes which chainring into account.)
Pedal Power Meters, Example Garmin Rally, You configure the pedals for the crank length in use.

My coach had concerns regarding my Stages Crank PM not matching my Wahoo Kickr Bike (hub) PM.
I borrowed a pair of Garmin Vector 3 pedals and did a comparison.
All 3 PMs were within 2-3%, plenty close enough.

Modern PMs are both precise and accurate.

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 12-29-23 at 03:16 PM.