Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best time to buy a new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 03:11 PM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably this has been asked before but I just got back from a bike shop and looked at possibly getting a new bike. Pretty much all the 2013 bikes were on sale so they could get rid of them to make room for the 2014 (kind of like cars I guess). It would seem that now would be a good time to buy. Is now a good time...the best time or is later in the year when the weather gets worse (though it is never that bad here in Nor Cal most of the time)?

And I have no idea how you guys buy bikes in the first place. The LBS I went to has 4 different brands (Cannondale, Felt, Look and BMC) and dozens of options...I think I'm more confused now than I was before...more reading for me
Old 09-05-13, 03:19 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Shop around and try different bikes and brands. Ask in each shop about their after-sales service; you are not just buying the bike when you shop local. Check them out on Yelp etc.

Now is definitely a good time to buy. If you hang on a bit longer, there will still be good deals, but the selection will get smaller. I got a bike for less than half price on the Saturday after Thanksgiving several years ago; it's not a world class ride by any stretch, but it was what I could afford, and was my only bike for a good 6-7 years and got me through a lot.

All the brands you name will give you a very good bike. Do your research and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if it doesn't feel right.
Old 09-05-13, 04:43 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Definitely is now a good time. Most of the stores in my area (also in NorCal) have started to liquidate their '13 inventory, some of them have even put '14 bikes on the floor. Mark downs vary from 5-10% to as much as 20% off some models, a lot of the percentages are controlled by the manufacturer via MAP (Manufacturer Approved Price) so sometimes you can potentially haggle off the sticker price even further.

If you're a common size (53-57cm) it's definitely a balancing act. Do you wait to see if the bike gets marked further down? The gamble obviously is that when that one bike in your size gets sold it's not going to be replaced in the inventory. From what I've observed the mark down price usually doesn't go much lower after the first pass, only when it becomes two generations back (a '12 in a '14 market) will it potentially get marked down again.

As Leinster stated, definitely learn more about your LBS, make sure that not only the price is taken into full consideration. For example, I opted to go with a store that I really like and they offered free service @ 90 days and 365 days on the purchase of a new bike with a basic fitting. Other stores might offer more (or less) and several stores in my area offer "service packages" you can buy when you purchase a bike from them (Performance, Mike's).
Old 09-05-13, 08:51 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
what kind of a budget are you shopping with?
Old 09-05-13, 10:35 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
As if to back up what I said, I picked up a CAAD10 5 at REI in Berkeley today for $1100.

Part of the plan is to get my LBS near work to upgrade it to Campy (Chorus or Athena, not decided yet) and flog the stock 105 bits (and fsa... and Tektro... and R570 wheels) for as much as eBay is willing to give me.
Old 09-06-13, 04:41 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right about now. Folks unloading bikes going into fall to finance that next biggest bike and as always those knockers who bought a nice bike and found out cycling is not for them................< these are the folks that will sell you something for nothing!!!!! < Circle these folks like a big cat on the Serenghetti Plains continue to stalk and play on their weaknesses or in some cases their buying a very expensive bike because they like posing rather than riding and are hacks........track them then go in for the kill offering them a miniscule return on their investment because they are so vulnerable and broken now!!!!

Last edited by Cyclelogikal; 09-06-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 05:15 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you can afford to and when the SO is on board. If those two stars align, there is no bad time.

But yeah, the best time is right now.
Old 09-06-13, 09:15 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
what kind of a budget are you shopping with?
Budget is going to be 1-2K. That seems to be there price range for what I need as I am not the hardcore cyclist but would like to have access to some of the hills around here and they are very tough on my old bike (with my old knees )

Originally Posted by mprelaw
When you can afford to and when the SO is on board. If those two stars align, there is no bad time.

But yeah, the best time is right now.
SO is on board and payment will be cash. I'm looking at CL but my current bike which seems to fit me very well is at least a 61 frame (might be a 63) and I rarely see the bigger frames on CL. In fact they only had 1 or 2 61's at the LBS yesterday and even those seemed small to me (might be the new style of frames compared to my old one :idk
Old 09-06-13, 09:42 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke_diver
Budget is going to be 1-2K. That seems to be there price range for what I need as I am not the hardcore cyclist but would like to have access to some of the hills around here and they are very tough on my old bike (with my old knees )

SO is on board and payment will be cash. I'm looking at CL but my current bike which seems to fit me very well is at least a 61 frame (might be a 63) and I rarely see the bigger frames on CL. In fact they only had 1 or 2 61's at the LBS yesterday and even those seemed small to me (might be the new style of frames compared to my old one :idk
If you need such a big frame, I'm pretty sure you're going to be able to get a great deal on a bike if there is one available from the last year. Not many people buying frames that size so if a LBS still has one in stock, I'm sure they'll love to get rid of it. For about 2k or less, you can get a nice entry level carbon bike or nice aluminum bike depending on what you prefer. Find a LBS that has that size in stock, test out bikes, and soon you'll say "that one" and be off and riding in no time.
Old 09-06-13, 10:05 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
trying to time the market whether you're buying or selling is difficult. if you are going to get utility out of a new bike and you've got the scratch, anytime is new bike time.
Old 09-06-13, 12:26 PM
bknaus
Sway Bar Guru

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10; Santa Cruz HighBall; Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 2012 CAAD 10 in 2013 and got a deal on it because they wanted to make room for the 2013. They were out of the 54 ad 56 frames but luckily I'm tall so they still had a 58 that no one had fit on yet. It's easier to get a cheap bike if you're not "average" sized IMO since those are the ones left at the end of the year...