Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1030 Map Display Color Settings

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-08-19, 07:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

I've been using my 1030 for a year and find the maps/routes to be excellent ... and I get out a couple times a month on rides to places I've never been before.

My one whine, the route can be hard to see in the map field. The promo image on Garmin looks like this:

The display on my 1030, the route is a light blue line on a busy field of roads in red and grey, creeks and rivers in dark blue along with many road and place names. It's a busy field that makes it damn near impossible to see the route, where you're going and where you've been. The image above is great, with the route in hot pink... I'd LOVE that.

I've looked at Garmin's site and reviewed a lot of how-to videos and not finding any good info to help. Is the above image just a promo, or regionally specific? Or can I change the color of my maps to make the route easier to see on the display?

Thanks!

(edit/afterthought) - in the map settings, I can change the color of the route, but there's no hot pink, and the other colors all blend too easily with maps default color set)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-08-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 08:07 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
...busy field...
Go to the settings menu (the three horizontal lines at the lower right of the home screen).

1- Activity Profiles
2- Pick the activity profile.
3- Navigation
4- Map
5- Map Visibility
6- Custom (you can change how/what things are displayed).

(edit/afterthought) - in the map settings, I can change the color of the route, but there's no hot pink, and the other colors all blend too easily with maps default color set)
You can set a course to always display. You can pick various colors for that. A lightish blue is one option; green seems to be a better choice. "Hot pink" isn't an option (magenta is reserved by Garmin for displaying routes being used for active navigation).

...in hot pink... I'd LOVE that.
The "hot pink" (magenta) is a course/route being used for navigation. The Edges don't let you change the color used for this (magenta is reserved by Garmin for displaying the course being used for navigation).

If you using a loaded course (track), it's drawn as a magenta line with black borders (it looks purple).

The route calculated by the unit is drawn as magenta. It's wider than the track line.

Since you talk about a "light blue line", you don't seem to be using navigation (either with a loaded course or a calculated route).

Is the above image just a promo, or regionally specific?
It's a preview mode for displaying a calculated route. The preview mode doesn't display as much detail. It's also very zoomed-out, which also means less detail is displayed.

It looks like it might be using the basemap rather than the detailed map used for navigation (the basemap has much less detail).

Also, It's the same bitmap but displayed on a more-vivid screen (whatever your computer is using).

The displays on the Garmins are not as vivid (so the same image will appear a bit "washed out").

This is a result of the Garmin display being usable in bright sunlight without a backlight.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-08-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 09:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by njkayaker

The "hot pink" (magenta) is a course/route being used for navigation. The Edges don't let you change the color used for this (magenta is reserved by Garmin for displaying the course being used for navigation).

If you using a loaded course (track), it's drawn as a magenta line with black borders (it looks purple).

The route calculated by the unit is drawn as magenta. It's wider than the track line.

Since you talk about a "light blue line", you don't seem to be using navigation (either with a loaded course or a calculated route).

Thank you for the detailed post!!

I'm interested in the comment about using navigation ... I thought I was using navigation.

I use Strava to build a route, export the the .gpx to PC desktop, plug in the 1030 (USB) and add the .gpx to the "NewFiles" folder in the 1030 (kinda old school, but it's the same way I've done it since my old 510).

On the 1030, tap 'Navigate' --> 'Course' --> 'Saved Courses' --> select course --> tap 'Ride' and start 1030

Is this a file type issue? Export a TCX instead of GPX?

By adding a place in the 1030 navigation, I was able to see the magenta route on the map.
Old 08-08-19, 09:39 AM
njkayaker

I'm interested in the comment about using navigation ... I thought I was using navigation.
You talked about a light blue line. Active navigation is indicated by magenta lines. (Following a line, of any color, is a sort of navigation but it's not what I'm referring to.)

I use Strava to build a route, export the the .gpx to PC desktop, plug in the 1030 (USB) and add the .gpx to the "NewFiles" folder in the 1030 (kinda old school, but it's the same way I've done it since my old 510).
It's completely fine to do it this way. Though, I think you can load Strava routes more directly (I don't use Strava).

On the 1030, tap 'Navigate' --> 'Course' --> 'Saved Courses' --> select course --> tap 'Ride' and start 1030
That gets you navigation but you should be seeing a purplish line (it's actually magenta with black borders) representing the path you will be following.

Note that you might need/want to enable "turn guidance", which will display big white arrows at the turn.

Do that by clicking the hamburger (three horizontal lines) menu at the lower right of the "Saved Courses" list.

It appears that, with "light blue line", you are referring to your recorded track (showing where you have been).

Is this a file type issue? Export a TCX instead of GPX?
No, fit, tcx, and gpx all contain the same information.

By adding a place in the 1030 navigation, I was able to see the magenta route on the map.
That's another way to get the magenta line.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-08-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 09:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

njkayaker - Thanks for the help! I have some things to try out on my next ride.
Old 08-29-19, 10:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: I think I was missing one click in the start route process ... but now I see the magenta route line and can't see the less visible route line. It feels like calling the tech support to your desk to help with a problem and when they're there, the problem is no longer present.
Old 08-29-19, 10:39 AM
njkayaker

Update: I think I was missing one click in the start route process ... but now I see the magenta route line and can't see the less visible route line. It feels like calling the tech support to your desk to help with a problem and when they're there, the problem is no longer present.
If you have "turn guidance" enabled, the "less visible route line" is there. It's just obscured by the track line.