Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cygolite Daylightning mode

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 06:19 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

I don't currently use a front light, just a tail light. As I ride, I see other riders coming toward me and I am amazed at how visible they are at a distance with front lighting. I don't ride at night, but I often go out just before sunrise. Also, I ride on heavily shaded roads with lots of contrast. I want to be seen. So I am considering one of the Cygolite Metro front lights, because I like the idea of its Daylightning mode. Good name! And it seems to have a long runtime, reducing battery recharges.

Any thoughts about Daylightning as a Be Seen light? Also, these lights are available in a few different brightnesses at different prices. The 850 lumen model is $40, and they go downward (and upward) from there. How much brightness is needed for optimum visibility?

Thanks!

Last edited by BCDrums; 07-25-19 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 08:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I don't ride at night, no need. But, I'm a firm believer in making myself as visible as possible particularly when sharing the road with vehicles. Bright clothing and blinking lights front and rear. I've been using Cygolites for years, good products. I've even been complimented a few times by drivers for my efforts.
Old 07-24-19, 08:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Light & Motion Urban 900 - $49
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=3&minor=6

I own two of these.

Daytime mode will last approximately 5 hours.

-Tim-
Old 07-25-19, 11:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I don't currently use a front light, just a tail light. As I ride, I see other riders coming toward me and I am amazed at how visible they are at a distance with front lighting. I don't ride at night, but I often go out just before sunrise. Also, I ride on heavily shaded roads with lots of contrast. I want to be seen. So I am considering one of the Cygolite Metro front lights, because I like the idea of its Daylightning mode. Good name! And it seems to have a long runtime, reducing battery recharges.

Any thoughts about Daylightning as a Be Seen light? Also, these lights are available in a few different brightnesses at different prices. The 850 lumen model is $40, and they go downward (and upward) from there. How much brightness is needed for optimum visibility?

Thanks!
I have a Cygolite Dash 460 (460 lumens) that is more than up to the task of making me visible in broad daylight. I've tested it every way possible to make sure. The worst scenario for a light is when the morning or evening sun is setting behind the light. That is harder than high noon when the overall sky is brighter. (Think about driving a car into the morning sun vs driving in the middle of the day. The morning sun coming right at you is more blinding than the noon day sun even though the noon day sun is brighter overall.) The 460 lumen light can overpower the light from the sun behind you and make you plenty visible. At high noon it's even better.

The 460 is a little underpowered at night for use as a full headlamp. It's fine for making me visiible to cars at night (obviously, since it can do it during the day) but it's a little underpowered for lighting my path so I can see what's in front of me. On the well lit streets I ride in the dark, this is a non issue. But if you ride at night on dark streets, the 460 is underpowered.

Nighttime riding in total darkness where you need an actual headlamp to light your way is the only reason I'd go for the 800+ lumen lights.
Old 07-25-19, 12:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I have a Cygolite Streak 350. I guess daylightning refers to the on-off alternating mode. I have been using the steadyflash mode which is mostly at medium intensity continuously and has a high-intensity flash every second or so.

I usually ride with a dynamo-powered headlight that does not have a flashing mode. I use my Cygolite sometimes when I don't have my dynamo bike. Until recently, I didn't run the Cygolite except at night because it didn't seem necessary. But recently, I've come to realize that a headlight is a good thing in the day. It can help, and it can't hurt. So from now on, I will be riding with a headlight, one kind or another.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-26-19, 12:22 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i have/had a cygolite streak 450 and it stopped working after about 500 miles. every time i hit a bump it changes modes. worse, it slowly powers down every five minutes. even right after being charged. i have to press the button every five minutes or it's barely putting out any light.

was really bright when it did work.
Old 07-26-19, 04:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by denada
i have/had a cygolite streak 450 and it stopped working after about 500 miles. every time i hit a bump it changes modes. worse, it slowly powers down every five minutes. even right after being charged. i have to press the button every five minutes or it's barely putting out any light.

was really bright when it did work.
If you contact them and send it in, you might get the same outstanding service I got. Give them a try.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-26-19, 06:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I run the 360 in flash during day, and steady with intermittent flash during my rare dark excursions. Though I could wish for a little stronger "headlight" effect in the latter mode, it keeps me from running over most objects on the path and streets. But, daytime, yeah, must be brightest!
Old 07-29-19, 03:06 PM
denada

Originally Posted by noglider
If you contact them and send it in, you might get the same outstanding service I got. Give them a try.
after reading their warranty page i was going to skip, but giving them a try based on your experience. only fair, as otherwise i’d continue to bash them without giving them a chance to make it right. not that i like having to utilize a warranty; prefer products that work without early repair.

bought a lumina 900 boost in the meantime. can’t be long without a headlight. about to move my jamis road bike from parents’ garage in cinci to my chicago apartment anyway, so two sets won’t hurt. the lumina comes with some taillight so i’d have a set for each.

Last edited by denada; 07-29-19 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 05:42 PM
diverbmorrison1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the CygoLite TridenX 1300 and it works well on the medium setting for daylight use. One work of caution.... I did get a complaint for a gentleman claiming that the light was too bright and the flashing may set off an Epileptic Seizure in a persons whom are susceptible to them....
Old 07-29-19, 08:08 PM
BCDrums

Thanks for all the comments. I ordered a Cygolite Metro Plus 650 today, the choice based in part on this article at The Wirecutter, which reviewed a number of current lights. The top pick was actually the Light & Motion Urban 500; they felt it was the best light to see your way with, but they chose the Cygolite as a runner up and called its flashing modes "eye-popping." That's what I need, an eye-popper to be seen in daylight.

The Cygolite is also on sale at REI for 20% off list. I buy items from REI if I think there is any chance that they may not work out. REI will take anything back within a year, no questions asked.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-30-19, 06:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@denada, most products have a few defective units. It's not something to be happy about, but that's the way it is. Not only that, electronic products have a few that are even dead on arrival. That's why, when I read reviews, I discount the reports of DOA units. Lithium batteries have a limited lifespan, and the one I got stopped holding a charge after two years. They couldn't have known. They said they would replace the battery for me, and they ended up replacing the entire unit. I can't ask for more.

Old 09-04-19, 07:09 PM
denada

following up to say cygolite fixed the light, no hassle. they only had it for about 8-9 days (including weekend) before shipping it back, which is pretty timely for send-in warranty repair. packing slip said the repair was resoldering a wire.

Last edited by denada; 09-04-19 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For denada:
Old 09-05-19, 11:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Another good story about Cygolite service. It's a good company.

Old 09-08-19, 11:08 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I ordered a Cygolite Metro Plus 650 today... That's what I need, an eye-popper to be seen in daylight.
I have ridden with the Cygolite Metro Plus 650 for a month now, and I like it. I use the first flashing mode, and on shady streets, I can see the light reflected back at me from street signs a hundred yards away or more. Battery life is good, I charge it one a week, have yet to run it all the way down.

The light was sticky in its mount, so I polished it a bit with polishing paper and it slides in and out more smoothly now.
Old 09-09-19, 07:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Another good story about Cygolite service. It's a good company.
Agreed - I've also had excellent service from Cygolite.

I've used Li-ion and Expilion front lights for over a decade. In that time, two bit the dust...but one of those was left out in the rain during a hurricane, so I do not blame the product for that.