Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainring alignment on crankarm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 09:54 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a single chainring to install on a single speed bike. The current install is not aligned perfectly, thus there's a "high point" and "low point" while pedaling and it makes for a serious tight spot, only ridable if there is slack chain tension.

My question is, does Park or another company make a tool that helps to help align the chainring on the crankarm? Are there shims which can be used to get the chainring perfectly in the center?

If it matters, it's a Surly ring on old Suntour X-1 crankarms.

God bless you for your answers
Old 07-19-08, 10:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A trick is to loosen the chain ring bolts so they are just finger tight. Then install the chain and spin the crank several times. The idea is to get the chainring to move away from the tight points. After you get the crank spinning smoothly, snug up the chainring bolts and you're done.
Old 07-19-08, 10:03 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an enlightening trick...gonna go to the garage and try it now

Thank you!
Old 07-31-08, 11:05 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry it's been a while since I replied...this didn't work. The motion of the chainring moving kept pulling the chainring out of alignment. So I removed the chain and started again to try and get the chainring perfectly centered. This worked ok, it's better, but not perfect. What kind of shim could I use to get this thing on perfect-like? I'm riding my other bikes for the moment, and it's driving me crazy I can't ride this one as it's my favorite.
Old 08-01-08, 01:14 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I think I'd repeat the first "technique", but with the bolts just a bit snugger.
When the chain is at maximum tension, tap the very front of the ring toward the rear with a rubber mallet.
Repeat, using lighter blows.
Old 08-01-08, 01:32 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i know this can be tough. i started doing conversions a couple years ago and have since done about seven for myself and family members. there are some chainrings and cranks that are less round than others and although the sheldon brown method of centering the chainring on the spider will help a bit - it won't solve significant runout. its hard to tell ahead of time which cranks will have less runout. in my experience the shimano 105s and 600s were less round than the few sugino crank/chainrings i've worked with. i also hate to say it but generally the nicer the cranks/CRs the less runout you'll experience. in the end i realized spending a little more money to save myself the hours of hassle is worth it. plus i've thrown a few chains that were too loose too avoid binding - a big downside. hope that helps.
Old 08-01-08, 06:11 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheldon describes the technique for addressing this problem here.
Old 08-01-08, 12:22 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again, Sheldon Brown thought this out long before any of us had the problem

Thanks to everyone who posted, I've got options now