Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 08:06 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
I'm assuming you have a discontinued color one, as that's literally the price for a new one which would be shipped to for free....

Oh, and from what I heard, this family of bags is going bye bye. So if you want one, better get one soon before it's too late.
Yeah, I was quoting the price of new bag. They didn't offer any kind of discount or anything. I loved my Ivan, but it has some basic design flaws* that motivated me to look elsewhere, too. Further, somewhere in the last 10 years Chrome seems to have decided that their name is the most important part of their business and has moved to get as much Chrome branded crap on the market as they can. In practical terms this means most of their bags and other goods are made in China these days rather than the US, and they have a lot more non-bag merch. The quality, from what I've seen, is still good, though. I was specifically drawn to the Ivan because it is a US-made rolltop pack that met my commuting needs rather well. I do appreciate that they're open about where their stuff is made, though. They still make the mess bags in the US too, IIRC. (I have two of those, too. I have an. . .unhealthy love of bags and luggage )

*) 1. the shoulder straps use a non-standard metal adjuster that corroded and ground out within 1-2 years of regular use, so the bag sags and can't be cinched up into place.
2. The outer pockets aren't "accordianed" or pleated, so when they get full they press into the main compartment and limit how much you can actually carry.
3. minor gripe, but the rolltop is secured with a velcro flap that blows open in high winds.
Old 12-31-15, 09:17 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
2. The outer pockets aren't "accordianed" or pleated, so when they get full they press into the main compartment and limit how much you can actually carry..
this is one of the main things that i disliked about my chrome mess bag. i have ocd level organization and the fact that putting anything more than a notepad in any pocket drives me ****ing insane
Old 12-31-15, 09:44 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Yeah, I was quoting the price of new bag. They didn't offer any kind of discount or anything. I loved my Ivan, but it has some basic design flaws* that motivated me to look elsewhere, too. Further, somewhere in the last 10 years Chrome seems to have decided that their name is the most important part of their business and has moved to get as much Chrome branded crap on the market as they can. In practical terms this means most of their bags and other goods are made in China these days rather than the US, and they have a lot more non-bag merch. The quality, from what I've seen, is still good, though. I was specifically drawn to the Ivan because it is a US-made rolltop pack that met my commuting needs rather well. I do appreciate that they're open about where their stuff is made, though. They still make the mess bags in the US too, IIRC. (I have two of those, too. I have an. . .unhealthy love of bags and luggage )

*) 1. the shoulder straps use a non-standard metal adjuster that corroded and ground out within 1-2 years of regular use, so the bag sags and can't be cinched up into place.
2. The outer pockets aren't "accordianed" or pleated, so when they get full they press into the main compartment and limit how much you can actually carry.
3. minor gripe, but the rolltop is secured with a velcro flap that blows open in high winds.
The basic design flaws are what I find in the other bags so far, mainly Timbuk2, and those flaws keep me going back to Chrome. My Metropolis has taken a beating since it was made, from the guy that had it before me, to me who uses it for commuting and food delivery. I will be ordering a new Metropolis in 2016 and I hope that it is as good as the one I have. Simply have not found a better and more comfortable messenger bag for the price. My only gripe is that I wish that it was a bit bigger.
Old 12-31-15, 10:02 AM
JeremyLC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
The basic design flaws are what I find in the other bags so far, mainly Timbuk2, and those flaws keep me going back to Chrome. My Metropolis has taken a beating since it was made, from the guy that had it before me, to me who uses it for commuting and food delivery. I will be ordering a new Metropolis in 2016 and I hope that it is as good as the one I have. Simply have not found a better and more comfortable messenger bag for the price. My only gripe is that I wish that it was a bit bigger.
See the metal adjusters on the shoulder straps? I've only ever seen those on the Ivan. Theyre spring loaded levers with a knurled metal roller that grips the strap. They're also low grade, non-stainless steel (or aluminum, can't tell) that is easily corroded by sweat. My Ivan will not stay adjusted anymore. Also, pretty much every other rolltop, and all the others sold by Chrome now, buckles shut so it will stay shut in the wind. The pockets are a personal preference, though, so I'll grant that that is just a personal gripe.

That said, I love my Chrome mess bags, but my shoulder hates me when I use them for too much weight or too much time or too much of both.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ivan_olive_v4_enlarge.jpg (39.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by JeremyLC; 12-31-15 at 10:07 AM. Reason: d**n you autocorrect!
Old 12-31-15, 10:15 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
See the metal adjusters on the shoulder straps? I've only ever seen those on the Ivan. Theyre spring loaded levers with a knurled metal roller that grips the strap. They're also low grade, non-stainless steel (or aluminum, can't tell) that is easily corroded by sweat. My Ivan will not stay adjusted anymore. Also, pretty much every other rolltop, and all the others sold by Chrome now, buckles shut so it will stay shut in the wind. The pockets are a personal preference, though, so I'll grant that that is just a personal gripe.

That said, I love my Chrome mess bags, but my shoulder hates me when I use them for too much weight or too much time or too much of both.

So the Ivan is similar to the Yalta in outward appearance. My Yalta has the same metal clamps that you are describing. The waterproofness (is that a word?) of the bag is questionable for me however. Several times I have been caught out in the rain and the stuff inside is not soaking wet, but at least the outer pocket has been compromised in some way with water. As for the velcro top closure, it does have that, and then a security latch that hooks through to keep it closed. Never had it open on me in any situation.
Old 12-31-15, 12:03 PM
Bair

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Pista Concept, S-Works Langster, Gunnar Fastlane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SX522_.jpg
really small, but great for a lock and basics.
Old 12-31-15, 12:30 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
So the Ivan is similar to the Yalta in outward appearance. My Yalta has the same metal clamps that you are describing. The waterproofness (is that a word?) of the bag is questionable for me however. Several times I have been caught out in the rain and the stuff inside is not soaking wet, but at least the outer pocket has been compromised in some way with water. As for the velcro top closure, it does have that, and then a security latch that hooks through to keep it closed. Never had it open on me in any situation.

Actually they have cam buckles, the proper term, on all of their 2 strap backpacks. I always found them annoying as since grade-school I had gotten into the habit of being able to sinch up my backpack straps with a simple pull of the straps.

Your jeers is one of the reasons why they're swapping them out for more traditional adjusters, as seen on their new 2.0 bags.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 12-31-15, 06:11 PM
JeremyLC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Actually they have cam buckles, the proper term, on all of their 2 strap backpacks. I always found them annoying as since grade-school I had gotten into the habit of being able to sinch up my backpack straps with a simple pull of the straps.

Your jeers is one of the reasons why they're swapping them out for more traditional adjusters, as seen on their new 2.0 bags.
Well, that's all the excuse I needed to grab the macro lens, and...

(click for pointlessly large size)

You can clearly see my cat's hair, but you can also see how the knurling corroded off, and why it won't hold the strap anymore.
Old 12-31-15, 08:29 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like it's pretty easy to do better than Chrome if you look around. MissionWorkshop, Seagull bags and those Trashmessengerbags are just a few of the options. I prefer Missionworkshop bags in my experience. Fair amount of pockets, comfortable straps, waterproof, great materials and a lifetime warranty. a little pricey but you can find used bags in good condition on ebay.
Old 12-31-15, 08:36 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Fun fact: Mission Workshop was created by the founders of Chrome after they sold that company.

Also, the bags are rad.
Old 12-31-15, 10:31 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
did not know that.

im planning on getting a hauser pack for the mtb from their sister company Acre, ive heard great things
Old 12-31-15, 11:57 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pwebb
I feel like it's pretty easy to do better than Chrome if you look around. MissionWorkshop, Seagull bags and those Trashmessengerbags are just a few of the options. I prefer Missionworkshop bags in my experience. Fair amount of pockets, comfortable straps, waterproof, great materials and a lifetime warranty. a little pricey but you can find used bags in good condition on ebay.
Having owned MW bags since they still used the orange accented logo and only had 2 bags, lifetime warranty is essentially zipper warranty. Nevertheless as a credit to them, they don't make the zippers themselves. But they'd still be glad to replace one for you!

Having been back in the bay recently for assigned work, believe it or not, it's interesting how there's more MW bags than chrome bags out there during the commute. What's even more surprising is the majority of MW bags out there are their messenger sling style bags as opposed to their traditional backpacks. A testament to their popularity and "mainstreamness" which Chrome experienced a few years earlier.

Since then, I've found better. I'm using a proto- freight baggage backpack that was gifted to me. While it may be simpler in design with fewer bells and whistles, there's definitely a reason they are the bag of choice among for hard-working bicycle people.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-01-16, 01:21 AM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those bags are pretty neat, but I'll stick with my Mission Workshop Vandal. Can't beat how comfortable it is for how much it can carry.

and you are correct, the bay is the land of nice bicycle bags. I see some of the sweetest custom panniers and handlebar bags on a regular basis, not to mention all the chrome/MW/ETC bags and thats just in the East Bay.
Old 01-01-16, 01:25 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
[h=1]Rearviz Cycling Mirror[/h][h=2]Arm mounted cycling mirror[/h]
should be ok for my hybrid.... not sure if they are good for drop bars though

Old 01-01-16, 01:34 AM
seau grateau

I just saw that the other day when I was Googling "what is the nerdiest thing ever"
Old 01-01-16, 02:09 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Fun fact: Mission Workshop was created by the founders of Chrome after they sold that company.

Also, the bags are rad.
I found the MW bag I ordered to be garbage. Not nearly enough expansion, leaked water bad and ripped a hole in the pocket all within 6 months.
Old 01-01-16, 02:45 AM
seau grateau

Was it covered under their warranty?
Old 01-01-16, 09:03 AM
JeremyLC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just saw that the other day when I was Googling "what is the nerdiest thing ever"
Wait... I've been replaced?
Old 01-01-16, 02:13 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was it covered under their warranty?
Probably, I just ended up selling the bag to a friend since it wasn't what I really needed anyways..
Old 01-01-16, 02:57 PM
seau grateau

That's a bummer all around. I could see expansion being an issue, but I got their smaller sized sling bag specifically for small loads and commuting, and still have a gigantic Chrome bag for bigger hauls. I don't ride in the rain much, but my goods stay dry when I do, and durability hasn't been an issue.
Old 01-01-16, 06:47 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Wait... I've been replaced?
Would you be ok with second place?
Old 01-05-16, 10:40 AM
Regulatori

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts
FINALLY got some colder weather gear. It rarely gets down to the 40's so I wanted some nice gear when it's 40-60 and a little windy.
Made out like a bandit too. Nashbar honored an order (long story) so I got 30% of all items. Kind of excited to get out there and not freeze my butt off.

Nashbar Derby Softshell Jacket

Nashbar Thermal Earband

Giro Seasonal Merino Wool Socks

FACTORY SECONDS: Nashbar Mansfield 2 Chamois Bib Tights (Full bib tights for $26!!!)

Nashbar Knit Cool Weather Gloves

Got tired of my slippery Benotto tape and picked up some Fizik.
Fizik Superlight Soft Touch Microtex Bar Tape

Total price of everything with free shipping was $90. Not bad.
Old 01-05-16, 10:49 AM
Bair

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Pista Concept, S-Works Langster, Gunnar Fastlane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got some white Giro Republics on Nashbar. Size 45 happened to be on closeout at $65 so I got em. First time going clipless.
Old 01-05-16, 11:09 AM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Connex 10 speed "Black Edition" chain and a Shimano XT 11-32 cassette for the Space Horse. New Thomson seatpost (30.9x410mm, setback) for the ICT.

Last edited by jtbadge; 01-05-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 11:44 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Couldnt agree more. I have 2 MW bags, the Vandal and the Rambler -- Both in Green. Picked them up locally on CL for under $140 and have no desire to have another bag whatsoever.

Also, the bags are rad.

those bags are pretty neat, but I'll stick with my Mission Workshop Vandal. Can't beat how comfortable it is for how much it can carry.
I prefer the Rambler over the Vandal personally, I just don't need to carry around that much on a day to day basis. My only gripe with the Rambler is that there isn't a second small zipper pouch thing on the front just like on the Vandal. I had the Vandal first but i got so used to having phone+keys on one side and then my wallet on the other -- So easy to get to without having to take the bag off. I've often wondered if MW would customize the Rambler to have 2 pockets.. hmmmm

But yeah, MW all the way but I don't think I'd ever get one new

Last edited by Unkle Rico; 01-05-16 at 11:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.