Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pedals for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Pedals for commuting

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:08 AM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedals for commuting

Help a brother out.....I am looking for some good commuting pedals. do the fixie bmx pedals with velcro strap seem like a good idea?

No clipless as i commute and run errands in whatever shoes are on my feet when i walk out the door.

4 days a week i commute in my work clothes and work shoes, so would i have to rule out toe clips? as if you seen the trend in dress shoes they are getting a tad long and pointy now and the previous trend were the overly square toed things.

any good ideas for me? all help is much appreciated
Old 06-13-11, 08:47 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like campus pedals (platform one side, SPD the other) but since you said no clipless...I don't know how to respond.
Old 06-13-11, 08:57 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe that most people in the world still use platform pedals and they work absolutely fine.
Old 06-13-11, 09:02 AM
ajames15

Bikes: Diamondback Insight 1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've commuted a few time in my dress shoes using toe clips and never had a problem. Have you tried it yet, or are you just worried that it won't work with current shoe trends?
Old 06-13-11, 09:03 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Forte pedals with plastic toe clips and Pake Space Straps. Works with any shoe, even Vibram Bikilas, does not stretch and holds real tight.

Simple and cheap.
Old 06-13-11, 09:06 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
I believe that most people in the world still use platform pedals and they work absolutely fine.

any recommendation one some good ones?
Old 06-13-11, 09:11 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajames15
I've commuted a few time in my dress shoes using toe clips and never had a problem. Have you tried it yet, or are you just worried that it won't work with current shoe trends?
never tried toe clips, just worried a point toed pair of shoes may be awkward. but i guess on those days i could just use the other side of the pedal.
Old 06-13-11, 09:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
My problem with pointed toes and toe clips is that I have long feet (size 13) and pointed toed shoes pushed my feet back so far (and the clips were so short) that I didn't have good foot positioning on the pedal.

Old 06-13-11, 09:16 AM
qualla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm happy with the Odyssey Twisted pedals. Comfortable, durable and cheap. My shoes stay well planted on them without any auxiliary retention (e.g., clips, straps) even in the rain and snow. True, they don't hold your foot quite as well as a good BMX pedals with replaceable steel pins -- but the polycarbonate is much kinder to shins and to work pants. See https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_1018_233_1952
Old 06-13-11, 09:20 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
I use Forte pedals with plastic toe clips and Pake Space Straps. Works with any shoe, even Vibram Bikilas, does not stretch and holds real tight.

Simple and cheap.
how do you like the forte's? are they shin shredders like my 80's road bike are?
Old 06-13-11, 09:26 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No matter which pedals, I really like Power Grips for doing what you're doing. I think they're marketed for Mountain bikers who don't want clips but I've found them useful for urban riding. They are good with many types of shoes and really easy to get in/out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
powergrips_in_action1.jpg (14.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-13-11, 09:27 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJ C
any recommendation one some good ones?
I think these, which are about $15, should work pretty well for you: https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-So...7978775&sr=8-3
Old 06-13-11, 09:45 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Absolutely. People toured the world with platform pedals.

I like the Nashbar platform MTB pedals. Large, comfortable platform with lots of grip in any weather, including Winter. And they're built tough too. I also liked the Sinz platforms but the Nashbar pedals outlasted them. Bearings on the Sinz started grinding after less than 2 years of intermediate use versus something like 3 years of almost constant use for the Nashbar pedals.

Last edited by AdamDZ; 06-13-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 10:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
No clipless as i commute and run errands in whatever shoes are on my feet when i walk out the door.
If you don't want clipless pedals, then there really isn't much left to choose among.
Old 06-13-11, 10:20 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the power straps look like they may be the ticket!

i found these online https://www.fyxation.com/shop/product.php?id_product=87 , would these be simpler than the power strap?
Old 06-13-11, 10:35 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i found these online https://www.fyxation.com/shop/product.php?id_product=87 , would these be simpler than the power strap?
Either use clipless pedals or just flat pedals without any straps. All those kinds of straps take longer to get you foot out than unclipping from a good clipless pedal. There is also higher chance of your shoes getting caught up in those.

Really, majority of cyclists in the world use plain, flat pedals. The whole hoopla about "power when pulling" etc., is just that: "hoopla". Pedal retention may make sense for racers where every second counts, for track/fixed riders or MTB'ers who need to be able to bunny hop, but for riding a bike to work, running errands you really don't need any of that, it's just an unnecessary complication with no tangible benefits. Just stick to grippy flat pedals and you will be fine.
Old 06-13-11, 10:38 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I like the Nashbar platform MTB pedals. Large, comfortable platform with lots of grip in any weather, including Winter. And they're built tough too.
Do they have good bearings, so that they spin easily? Some platform pedals are junk: you can spin them with your hand and they stop spinning after a couple of turns. I have a pair of BMX pedals (Wellgo? I can't remember the brand!) that will spin for a long time. But they cost in the 30 dollar range, whereas Nashbars are more like 15.
Old 06-13-11, 10:47 AM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've never tried that brand but they look similar. I've used the power straps for years and really like 'em; I put them on all my round-town bikes.
Personally, I think most toe clip setups are a waste; they don't fit many shoes and are basically clunky.
I like the power straps because they do keep your foot in place, are comfortable, and can wear with any shoes. And, if you do flip the pedal to use the flat side, they don't drag much so there's not much overhead.
Old 06-13-11, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I am looking for some good commuting pedals. do the fixie bmx pedals with velcro strap seem like a good idea?
the velcro strap part does not matter, pedaling normally,
it's going to get you there, and back just fine.

And you can ride in any shoe you choose.

I have a Welgo with sealed bearings, SBS/Redline ordered enough
units, to have their brand name on them..

Sun-Ringele did similar..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-13-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 11:22 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Really, majority of cyclists in the world use plain, flat pedals. The whole hoopla about "power when pulling" etc., is just that: "hoopla". Pedal retention may make sense for racers where every second counts, for track/fixed riders or MTB'ers who need to be able to bunny hop, but for riding a bike to work, running errands you really don't need any of that, it's just an unnecessary complication with no tangible benefits. Just stick to grippy flat pedals and you will be fine.
Now this puts it into perspective, thanks adam. Why muck things up when its a simple short commute, just stick the the KISS method and all shall be wonderful.

so straps and toe clips are out, now looking for rec's for good grippy flat pedals.
Old 06-13-11, 11:23 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Do they have good bearings, so that they spin easily? Some platform pedals are junk: you can spin them with your hand and they stop spinning after a couple of turns. I have a pair of BMX pedals (Wellgo? I can't remember the brand!) that will spin for a long time. But they cost in the 30 dollar range, whereas Nashbars are more like 15.
So look for pedals with good bearings, how will i know?

Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
I've never tried that brand but they look similar. I've used the power straps for years and really like 'em; I put them on all my round-town bikes.
Personally, I think most toe clip setups are a waste; they don't fit many shoes and are basically clunky.
I like the power straps because they do keep your foot in place, are comfortable, and can wear with any shoes. And, if you do flip the pedal to use the flat side, they don't drag much so there's not much overhead.
thats a good question with the pedal flipped that may wear the strap out quicker? or are power straps real durable?

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the velcro strap part does not matter, pedaling normally,
it's going to get you there, and back just fine.

And you can ride in any shoe you choose.

I have a Welgo with sealed bearings, SBS/Redline ordered enough
units, to have their brand name on them
should i look for sealed bearings?

Last edited by CJ C; 06-13-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 11:37 AM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So look for pedals with good bearings, how will i know?

thats a good question with the pedal flipped that may wear the strap out quicker? or are power straps real durable?
Re: the bearings: you'll know. The Nashbar brands, other ones listed in here will be fine. Cheapo ones won't turn well if the bearings are crappy but you usually won't find that problem on anything even close to a reputable brand.

Re: The Power Straps. No, you won't wear them out if you flip the pedal. In fact, I don't think you'll wear them out ever (I've a pair on one bike for over a decade). They are pretty tough and there is not much touching the ground (in most cases, they won't touch at all). I think they even sell a pre-installed pedal/strap combo for like $30. Hardly a big investment to try it out ...
Old 06-13-11, 11:41 AM
neotheone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like the whole idea of clipless, so I always buy platform pedals. I seemed to go through a lot of pedals though, so now I only buy the really wide metal ones.
Old 06-13-11, 11:49 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I still use toe clips and straps on my commute bikes so I can ride in regular shoes. Those platform straps look interesting too. Maybe I'll try a pair.
Old 06-13-11, 12:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Sigh... ... ever since the Penny Farthing evolved into the Safety Bicycle there has been scant innovation... this thread is part of the reason... it may interest some to know that there are examples of turn of the century safety bicycles with toe clips and straps.

Maybe its just me but without some kind of foot location device my left foot in particular wanders away from properly centered on the pedal and slides outward. In rain its just about impossible to keep my feet on the pedals except with sneakers. For efficiencies sake if nothing else, it is hard to deny the utility of a pair of toe-clips and straps as an aid to foot placement. For placement purposes it is not necessary to cinch the straps. I never do. I also run PowerGrips and like them. We ride in a tandem club with teams that all have $5K+ Co-Motion and Santana tandems and everyone has clipless pedals with $300 road shoes. We field a $1K Raleigh Coupe and $40 Shimano MTB shoes. The PowerGrips do help keep us competitive in the shootout.

H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.