Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Folding Bike Weight Limits?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 04:58 PM
rhiannonstone

Bikes: Bianchi Strada, Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So just as I'm starting to get comfortable enough with my bike to start riding it on my commute, I find myself in need of a folding bike, because part of my commute involves a regional train (BART) that doesn't allow non-folding bikes during my commute hours. I've found a few that look interesting, but I've noticed they all seem to have a weight limit of around 230 lbs, and I exceed that by about 30 lbs (and don't expect that to change anytime soon). Do any of my fellow Athenas or Clydesdales have a folding bike? What's your experience with them? How much attention should I pay to the weight limit?
Old 06-28-11, 07:33 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have one, but a friend of mine who's a Clyde does - the Bike Friday Tikit - and he loves it. Not sure what he weighs - probably around 220-230 or so.
Old 06-28-11, 08:55 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know that some of the Bike Fridays have high weight limits, like 300 pounds. But they are pricey.
Old 06-29-11, 07:00 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have a Dahon Expresso and have exceeded the 230lb limit for most of the time. I don't see a problem, but I only use it occasionally. Most of those limits are inspired by lawyers, not reality.

Marc
Old 06-29-11, 09:23 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
This is a thread I have questioned several times and you probably will not get a decent answer - We have seen really heavy riders on steel, carbon, and Al bikes riding along without any problem but truth of the matter is that almost all road bikes are designed for around 100 Kilos (220#) - Now the question is, what material is the bike made of, how strong does it look by eye balling it, what quality of welds or bolting apparatus - and how much are you going to cry if you break your new toy - And again you are considering a folding bike...

Just remember the old Boy Scout Rule... "Don't take anything into the field your are not willing to loose..."
Old 11-26-11, 08:05 PM
rhiannonstone

Bikes: Bianchi Strada, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanted to come back and update: after much research and test-riding, I finally settled on a Xootr Swift and I've been riding it ~6 miles a day, 3 days a week for a few months. As far as non-fullsize folding bikes go, it has one of the highest weight limits at 260 lbs., and it rides much better than the Bike Fridays I test-rode when I was thinking real hard about getting one with the heavy rider upgrade. It's also about half the price. it doesn't fold up super-tiny like the BFs and Dahons, but still small and compact enough to fit onto crowded BART trains in the morning. (And you can get it even smaller than shown in the photo by removing the riser--this makes it fit easily into most car trunks.)