Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Athena-Sized Wool Jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 01:48 PM
rhiannonstone

Bikes: Bianchi Strada, Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Athena-Sized Wool Jerseys

I've been hearing a lot of great things about wool cycling clothes and I'd like to score some for myself, especially since I'm starting to plan overnight trips to places that get damp and chilly with fog (and also since I'm starting to get tired of the... distinctive smell of my synthetic jerseys). I'm having a hard time finding any that might fit me, though. Any suggestions for where to get wool jerseys etc. that would fit a 2X Athena? I'm open to checking out men's sizes, too, as long as it's from somewhere I can return it if it turns out a men's cut doesn't work well with my curves after all.
Old 07-03-12, 06:18 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
They're not cycling jerseys but . . .

I am very happy with men's size XL brand jerseys. Unfortunately, the colors are boring, but they fit and are incredibly comfortable, and hardly get smelly. I wear a small fanny pack to make up for the lack of pockets.

The arms are LONG for my 5'2 frame, but though it's a little funny looking off the bike, it's good on the bike, because it adds some warmth to my hands when I've brought the wrong gloves.

They are plenty long enough to cover my butt, they go around my 48 inch chest, they don't itch at all, they can be machine washed and dried, they don't weigh a lot and look good after being smushed under a bungie cord or sweated on, and every now and then you can find them on sale. I bought them for riding, but wear them on and off the bike now.
Old 07-03-12, 06:31 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You might be stuck with men's stuff. But look at this blog post: https://endlessvelolove.blogspot.com/...l-cycling.html
Old 07-09-12, 02:31 PM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw your post about wanting to trying out a wool jersey... good choice!

Let me know if our sizing fits your need, the jerseys are not designed to be tight fitting, so you have some room to work with.

www.RoadHolland.com
Old 07-09-12, 04:14 PM
rhiannonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RoadHolland, thanks for the reply! I've taken a look and your jerseys look great, I like the colors and simple, classic styling a lot.

From the sizing guide, your largest women's size (XL) definitely won't work for me, and your largest men's size (XXL) might--the sizing guide says that'll fit chests 46"-48", and I'm right at 48". What's the stretch factor like? Do you know if other women have successfully worn your men's-cut jerseys? I'm very curvy, and sometimes men's stuff fits, and other times the cut just isn't quite right--it's either way too tight all over, or fits my chest okay and then hangs like a tent or maternity clothes over the rest of my torso.

I see you've got a generous return policy so there's minimal risk to trying a men's XXL to see if it fits, but I'd love any additional information you have!

Last edited by rhiannonstone; 07-09-12 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-09-12, 04:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I get most of my wool stuff at backcountryoutlet.com, and I tend to go with stuff that's on sale. I have a lot of Stoic wool pieces; the ones at 17.5 microns are fantastic. I just spent five days camping at the edge of the desert, with the kinds of temperatures the rest of the country has been having, and wore wool every day.
Old 07-09-12, 05:41 PM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Hilversum jersey will definitely work for you. It is stretchy - very much so because it's a mesh - so will give in the right areas. While there may be some bunching in other areas - hard to tell without seeing a picture of you or knowing your exact sizes - the fabric is so lightweight and comfortable that you won't notice it a bit.
Old 07-23-12, 04:35 PM
rhiannonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got my Hilversum men's XXL (in orange!) from Road Holland and wore it for the first time yesterday. It fits! I do wish it were more of a women's cut--since it just kind of hangs down from my chest and is fairly loose-fitting the grippies at the waist don't actually grip, so it rides up at the waist and the zipper bunches up a bit right at and under my chest. But overall it's pretty comfortable and I like the material. If you ever decide to make a women's XXL, I'll definitely get another!
Old 10-07-12, 09:35 AM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok... we took this thread to heart! Our latest Women's Long Sleeve runs in sizes XS thru XXXL

https://roadholland.com/shop/products...lack-45-3.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
harlingen.jpg (63.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-07-12, 10:02 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadHolland
Ok... we took this thread to heart! Our latest Women's Long Sleeve runs in sizes XS thru XXXL

https://roadholland.com/shop/products...lack-45-3.html
it is nice that your company did that. We Athena riders appreciate being considered so we don't have to wear men's stuff.
Old 10-08-12, 09:39 AM
rhiannonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is awesome, thank you! I've been getting so many compliments on my Hilversum. And while I rarely wear long sleeved jerseys, this one is gorgeous, especially in black, so I'm tempted. And I'll definitely be recommending it to my friends.

Last edited by rhiannonstone; 10-08-12 at 09:42 AM. Reason: I accidentally some words.
Old 10-27-12, 02:22 AM
rhiannonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and hey--I finally got a picture of me in my Hilversum, at Levi's GranFondo last month: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/rhi...one/8126946374. Please ignore the derpface, I was quite tired.
Old 10-27-12, 10:12 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rhiannonstone
Oh, and hey--I finally got a picture of me in my Hilversum, at Levi's GranFondo last month: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/rhi...one/8126946374. Please ignore the derpface, I was quite tired.
You look great! And so does the jersey.
Old 10-29-12, 07:57 PM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Showing off our Athena Sizes this weekend at the Philly Bike Expo... they were very well received!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Athena.jpg (71.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-29-12, 08:01 PM
rhiannonstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it! As soon as it stops being 70 freaking degrees here I'll be getting one.
Old 11-05-12, 07:51 PM
vntgdrms

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadHolland
Showing off our Athena Sizes this weekend at the Philly Bike Expo... they were very well received!
Hey I just saw this! Yes very cool that they took it to heart Road Holland was GREAT about making these larger sizes.
If you want to see one in person - I may know of a place you can get them and if you click on the link below my signature you might find that place. (its that whole forum rules thing)
Old 11-05-12, 10:16 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
That's awesome! Though I would suggest adding waist and hip sizes to at least your women's size chart -- it can make it easier to decide when on the line between sizes. Definitely bookmarking for when you guys restock women's short-sleeve stuff, and wish you had a dealer in Boston!
Old 07-07-13, 08:16 PM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Ladies Jerseys have arrived at www.RoadHolland.com ... Summer Sizes up to XXXL!! Plus everything is on sale thru the end of the Tour de France.