Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

rigid fork

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 11:37 PM
troglobyker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rigid fork

I have a 2014 trek x cal 9 and I'm wondering what the best rigid fork to go with the g2 geometry would be. mostly using the bike for urban commuting so wanting to change to a full rigid set up with schwalbe balloons.
Old 11-13-16, 12:24 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Why do you want a rigid fork? Fork suspension losses are very small unless you're really standing on the pedals and mashing.

The Xcal should have a lockout fork, so you can just lock it out.
Old 11-13-16, 07:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
What's your current fork travel? Is it 80mm or 100mm?

Salsa makes some steel forks that are suspension corrected to be-- in theory -- drop-in replacements for 80mm travel suspension forks. Niner used to have a steel for suspension corrected for 100mm, but I don't think they sell it anymore.
Old 11-13-16, 09:32 AM
troglobyker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a clydesdale and I do ride mostly with the front fork locked out

RockShox XC32 w/Solo Air spring, TurnKey lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)
Old 11-13-16, 09:47 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Gonna be hard to find one with the exact rake and trail not to mention the height.

Air the fork up to a 10% sag setting and/or lock it out and fagetaboutit
Old 12-03-16, 08:51 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I disagree with those above that don't think it is a worthwhile mod - there are many advantages rigid has over suspension. If the bike is never ridden on rough trails then I would certainly prefer a rigid fork. I don't know of a good one to recommend - one of my bikes has a surly instigator fork and it is a pig.

EDIT: I have seen carbon mtb forks for sale online for not too much dough. I would expect a cheap carbon fork to be pretty tough for city riding. A lightweight steel fork would not be my first choice but would probably be ok too.

Last edited by Wilfred Laurier; 12-03-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 09:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
it's just not that critical that you get the same AC and rake. I would probably go for one of the salsa forks. I'm guessing this would work CroMoto Grande 29?er Thru-Axle, Tapered | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

Generally the fork should be AC of 25 percent sagged. So whatever your fork is minus 25mm. A few mm of rake isn't going to hurt you. I cant tell if Rockshox gives a sagged AC. If it is, the salsa fork will increase your heat tube angle a little, probably ok though.
Old 12-04-16, 10:17 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I disagree with those above that don't think it is a worthwhile mod - there are many advantages rigid has over suspension. If the bike is never ridden on rough trails then I would certainly prefer a rigid fork. I don't know of a good one to recommend - one of my bikes has a surly instigator fork and it is a pig.
I like the Instigator. Wish it was still made. I run it on a bicycle designed originally for an 80mm travel fork. The Instigator substitutes for 100mm, and I like the effect of the slacker geometry on that particular frame. I also like that the build is notably lighter in weight than with a suspension fork. Not to mention there's nothing much left to maintain. Win all around.

Agree with you on the rough trails bit. A lot of what's near me is machine-built these days, and it is mainly in areas with braking bumps that I notice the lack of suspension.
Old 12-04-16, 10:59 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
You say the best, and if Enve is currently making one that fits your bike, it might be the best. Everything I have owned form them has been excellent.
Old 12-04-16, 08:39 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Enve is a waste of money unless you're loaded or racing for money. To say that you should buy an Enve fork without even trying one yourself seems a bit near sighted. I'm sure they're fine, but given the bike the OP is riding, I think something light and steel would be wise.

Get a good steel rigid from Salsa, Kona P2, etc for a suspension corrected 29er. Will be incredible. Steel is compliant and takes the harsh edge off bumps. Anyone who doesn't understand why you would want a rigid fork for commuting can't open his mind to your situation.

I love suspension and technology, but a nice steel rigid is tons of efficient and cheap fun.

Incredibly fast compared to a suspension setup. Lighter and most efficient. Standing up and honking on those pedals will become addictive. Anyone around you that's wasting their time sitting and spinning will be dropped like a slick booger.

Last edited by ed; 12-04-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 11:04 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I like the Instigator. Wish it was still made. I run it on a bicycle designed originally for an 80mm travel fork. The Instigator substitutes for 100mm, and I like the effect of the slacker geometry on that particular frame. I also like that the build is notably lighter in weight than with a suspension fork. Not to mention there's nothing much left to maintain. Win all around.
I was running a lightweight air-sprung fork that failed, and a friend gave me his instagator fork. I don't think the Instigator dropped the weight at all for me. It is a very heavy fork, as rigid forks go.
Old 12-05-16, 11:26 AM
JonathanGennick 

I was running a lightweight air-sprung fork that failed, and a friend gave me his instagator fork. I don't think the Instigator dropped the weight at all for me. It is a very heavy fork, as rigid forks go.
It is heavy. Can't argue that. The old Karate Monkey fork is lighter weight and about the same axle to crown. A friend a I built up a 26er last year using it. Worked a treat.
Old 12-05-16, 01:15 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tru

Instigator is a beefy fork.

KM and 1x1 arent too bad. I have used the Kona P2 and liked it a great deal.
Old 12-05-16, 01:38 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
You could probably find a Niner carbon fork which would be close enough to work. For what it's worth, no one other than Trek uses G2 geo, so any aftermarket will be a bit off.
Old 12-05-16, 07:20 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ed
Enve is a waste of money unless you're loaded or racing for money. To say that you should buy an Enve fork without even trying one yourself seems a bit near sighted. I'm sure they're fine, but given the bike the OP is riding, I think something light and steel would be wise.

Get a good steel rigid from Salsa, Kona P2, etc for a suspension corrected 29er. Will be incredible. Steel is compliant and takes the harsh edge off bumps. Anyone who doesn't understand why you would want a rigid fork for commuting can't open his mind to your situation.

I love suspension and technology, but a nice steel rigid is tons of efficient and cheap fun.

Incredibly fast compared to a suspension setup. Lighter and most efficient. Standing up and honking on those pedals will become addictive. Anyone around you that's wasting their time sitting and spinning will be dropped like a slick booger.
One more friendly person showing X-maps spirit.

I believe there was some talk about best stuff, could have been mixing this with another thread. I have used many Enve parts, including their forks.
Old 12-05-16, 07:22 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Word
Old 12-05-16, 09:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
we compared a ventana aluminum fork with a suspension fork for the same bike. Granted, it was a high-end suspension fork, but it weighed about the same as the aluminum rigid fork. Steel is almost surely going to weigh more.