Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike shop buy back program

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 11:08 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts

So my local bike shop is sponsoring a program that you for the next few days you can bring in your used gear/bike/anything and they give you in store credit for the stuff. The shop is running the event but the company buying all the gear is a private party. I am going to go check it out and see if I can't sell a couple of mountain bikes that never get ridden anymore for fair store credit. They won't take box store bikes but short of that they are taking pretty much all else is what I understand.

I called the shop and they said used market is crazy right now so this is happening other places too. Has anyone had this happen anyplace else? I have never heard of an event like this but I am going to try it for myself.

Our shops here can't get any new bikes for sale at all. They get in 2-10 a week at the most and are sold before they even arrive. I am not looking for a bike but if I were that would be really frustrating!
Old 07-28-20, 12:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Probably get more for them selling through CL.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-28-20, 12:13 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I haven't heard of any shops doing this, but it seems like a good idea. Especially right now with how hard it is to keep bikes in stock.

I always have thought shops should do more used bike buying/selling than they typically do, but maybe it isn't normally worth the hassle for them. There are tons of awesome bike and parts collecting dust in people's garages/basements that could be put to better use, and a lot of people aren't comfortable buying/selling on CL.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-28-20, 02:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I haven't heard of any shops doing this, but it seems like a good idea. Especially right now with how hard it is to keep bikes in stock.

I always have thought shops should do more used bike buying/selling than they typically do, but maybe it isn't normally worth the hassle for them. There are tons of awesome bike and parts collecting dust in people's garages/basements that could be put to better use, and a lot of people aren't comfortable buying/selling on CL.

I will see what happens...I will post when I do. I won't sell on CL just because of the hassle and you never know who your meeting up with. At least at a dealer you get robbed by a company lol
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-28-20, 02:23 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I will see what happens...I will post when I do. I won't sell on CL just because of the hassle and you never know who your meeting up with. At least at a dealer you get robbed by a company lol
Same. I sold a bike after listing it on a local Facebook MTB group about 5 years ago and it went smoothly, but I was relieved when I walked out the bank after depositing the cash.
I may just be unnecessarily paranoid, but I live in a major city with a fairly high crime rate. There is a real possibility of being robbed in this situation, both as a buyer and seller.
Old 07-28-20, 02:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

General public bicycle buyers want that comfort of a "warranty" from the OEM & the calming feeling that no one has ridden the bicycle prior to them... if only they knew...
Old 07-28-20, 02:51 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
IF they offer you a fair price...dun deal!

BUT cash out quick... if they go under, you'll lose your credit.

Barry
Old 07-28-20, 02:55 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Troul
General public bicycle buyers want that comfort of a "warranty" from the OEM & the calming feeling that no one has ridden the bicycle prior to them... if only they knew...
Good point. I wonder if something like Pro's Closet's "Certified Pre Owned" program would help? They offer a 30 day free return, plus a guaranteed buyback prices for up to 18 months.

It's also worth noting that the "general public bicycle buyer" likely associates "used bike" with some rusty old hunk of garbage that has been sitting in their garage for 10+ years and is worth no more than $50. Or... bikes are just for kids.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-28-20, 03:01 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
​​​​​My local bike shop takes trades all the time, so I'll be swapping my entry level road bike for my new one when it's in.

Most of the time I would donate to goodwill or hand things down to a friend at a discount.

It's a good idea to take a look, especially of you're like me and don't want to go through the hassle of selling and store credit is good as long as you want bike stuff.

​​
Old 07-28-20, 03:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Mike’s Bikes has a buyback deal for kids bikes. If you buy from them again they’ll give you 50% of the original purchase price of the trade in as credit on the new one. I don’t know what they do with the trade ins though, that’s not in the ad.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-28-20, 10:44 PM
avajohonson2395
Banned

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will probably get more for them selling through CL.
Old 07-29-20, 12:12 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I sold 4 bike this month to 2 friends and 2 acquaintances by word of mouth. Truth be told 6 months ago, I would not have gotten half the money i made on these 4 bikes. Simple supply and demand, and I glad the bikes are getting used. I wish local shops could find a way to sell used,