Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Getting back into it and need some advice...

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Getting back into it and need some advice...

Old 07-22-20, 01:09 PM
nikbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some advice on my old 26" Trek4300

17 years ago I bought a Trek 4300 hardtail and didn't splurge for the diskbreak option....
For about 6 years I road the hell out of it and it served me very well as a singletrack and fireroad bike....

I haven't ridden for about 10 years other than a few rides to the park with the family and playing around in the driveway... A few weeks ago I decided I was going to get back into it as my fitness option (since my normal Brazilian JiuJitsu isn't currently an option do to the health situation in my area). So far I have just played around on our property but was going to go hit some trails next week. Today I got on the bike and the fork compressed and didn't come back out. Needless to say it's been neglected.

I took it apart and the internals are toast... filled with sand and rust...
It's a cheap fork and not worth repairing.

The bike is 90% stock (although I have a $50 1x crankset on its way, I was going to put on it) and now here is my dilemma:
Option 1: Find a 26" spring fork with rim breaks.... probably around $200-250
Option 2: Get a new air fork for around the same price but I'd probably also have to switch to disk breaks which will mean new rims, new breaks, and probably new shifters and hydraulic break levers since they are a combined unit on this old Trek. Total cost maybe: $500-600
Option 3: Stick some cheap solid fork on it for town use and spend the $600 on a new 29er of some variety.

Am I better off upgrading this old 26" frame or just starting over?
Options?

Last edited by nikbrown; 07-22-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 01:47 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Save for a new bike.
Old 07-22-20, 02:59 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
... or consider a used bike that is affordable and good enough to have fun with.
Old 07-23-20, 09:15 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
+1 for option 3
Old 07-23-20, 11:57 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
It might to worth your while to rent a 29er for a weekend and see the difference a couple decades make. Nothing wrong with your 4300, but it is not a collectible frame and you are throwing money at something you won’t recoup. And you may find it doesn’t hold enough memories to overcome its shortcomings.

But a lot depends on what you can spend. If you can find a lightly used mtb that would probably be the best route. You own a good example of what not to buy. But it is important to find someone who bought the bike and didn’t ride it much.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-23-20, 02:25 PM
nikbrown

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
It might to worth your while to rent a 29er for a weekend and see the difference a couple decades make. Nothing wrong with your 4300, but it is not a collectible frame and you are throwing money at something you won’t recoup. And you may find it doesn’t hold enough memories to overcome its shortcomings.

But a lot depends on what you can spend. If you can find a lightly used mtb that would probably be the best route. You own a good example of what not to buy. But it is important to find someone who bought the bike and didn’t ride it much.

John
Thanks all... I think I'll take your advice... I'll just throw a rigid fork on my old trek and use it as an around town bike and dicking around in the driveway with the kids. I'll start looking around and see what I can find in the sub $1000 category for my entry back into the sport. (and keep an eye on the used market)
Old 07-31-20, 10:03 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
There’s nothing inherently wrong with a 26er, but the one you’ve got isn’t worth too much cost or effort. The advantage of a 26er is that you can probably get a significantly better used 26er for your money than you can a 27.5 or 29. Consider the frame, components and condition carefully and test ride at least a bit.
Old 07-31-20, 10:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Get a rigid fork, the fattest front tire you can fit and go ride. New bikes are hard to find right now, maybe better in the fall. If you are patient, next year the used market will be flooded with top of the line bikes that were bought and rode twice.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-02-20, 12:39 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely keep an eye on the used market. It's a bit crazy right but if you are quick you can still find good deals.
And I would also recommend going to a bike park and renting a 29er.
If your trails have a lot of rocks and roots, the rolling ability of a 29 wheel is very nice.