Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why would a rim say "for rim brakes only"?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 03:29 AM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

I understand "for disc brakes only" or "compatible with rim brakes", but I'm not understanding what property a rim would have that would make it incompatible with disc brakes. Seems like if you've got a hub that supports disc brakes, there shouldn't be an issue. What am I missing?
Likes For crankholio:
Old 08-16-20, 04:50 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Maybe the spoke bed is not thick enough to prevent the nipples from pulling out of the rim under braking.

With a rim brake, the spokes are not loaded during braking, since you are stopping the rim from rotating and the hub and spokes are free to rotate. In that scenario, the load from braking is applied to the rim/tire bead interface.

With a disc brake, you are stopping the hub from rotating and the spokes are now a part of the load path that is resisting the forward momentum of the bike. If the rim was designed to only have the spoke bed be strong enough to resist the spoke tension, the additional force of disc braking could pull the nipples from the rim.
Old 08-16-20, 06:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Maybe the spoke bed is not thick enough to prevent the nipples from pulling out of the rim under braking.

With a rim brake, the spokes are not loaded during braking, since you are stopping the rim from rotating and the hub and spokes are free to rotate. In that scenario, the load from braking is applied to the rim/tire bead interface.

With a disc brake, you are stopping the hub from rotating and the spokes are now a part of the load path that is resisting the forward momentum of the bike. If the rim was designed to only have the spoke bed be strong enough to resist the spoke tension, the additional force of disc braking could pull the nipples from the rim.
I disagree that the spokes are not loaded during rim braking. How do you think the stopping force is transferred to the bike and cargo if not through the spokes. If the transferred forces are significantly greater with disk brakes, then your theory is a plausible possibility; however I've not seen any discussion of this actually happening.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-16-20, 06:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
I understand "for disc brakes only" or "compatible with rim brakes", but I'm not understanding what property a rim would have that would make it incompatible with disc brakes. Seems like if you've got a hub that supports disc brakes, there shouldn't be an issue. What am I missing?
That sounds more like lawyering than engineering. I can’t see any reason why rims for rim brakes can’t be used for discs. Rim brake rims look a little goofy with disc hubs...kind of a belts and suspenders approach...but functionally a rim is just a rim.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I disagree that the spokes are not loaded during rim braking. How do you think the stopping force is transferred to the bike and cargo if not through the spokes. If the transferred forces are significantly greater with disk brakes, then your theory is a plausible possibility; however I've not seen any discussion of this actually happening.
I fully agree. Both braking systems are the same and the spoke loading should be equivalent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-16-20, 06:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That sounds more like lawyering than engineering. I can’t see any reason why rims for rim brakes can’t be used for discs. Rim brake rims look a little goofy with disc hubs...
But they do give the ability to swap the wheels between rim brake and disc brake bikes.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-16-20, 07:13 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
You are correct that the spokes are loaded from resisting the forward momentum of the bike and rider, but I don't believe the loading is the same as a disc brake, where the load is directly pulling the spoke in a linear path from the elbow to the nipple. The force applied is the same, but it is distributed differently. There is a reason why we don't radially lace disc brake wheels. It would be interesting to see some data with strain sensors on the spokes of both types of wheels.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-16-20, 07:16 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
But they do give the ability to swap the wheels between rim brake and disc brake bikes.
Which is also goofy looking.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-16-20, 07:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Can you give us a rim model that says that?

Maybe something to do with spoke offset's not being compatible with narrower disc hubs?
Old 08-16-20, 07:27 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Can you give us a rim model that says that?

Maybe something to do with spoke offset's not being compatible with narrower disc hubs?
That shouldn’t matter. Rims don’t come in front and rear version and the difference in the hub size is quite large. There is a 35mm difference between the front and rear on a 100mm/135mm hubset, for example. It doesn’t matter what rim you use, only the spokes length is adjusted.

Old 08-16-20, 10:58 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
I thought that rims for disc brakes didn’t have brake tracks at the rim.
Old 08-16-20, 12:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If there really is a rim with that sticker/warning it is probably on there because it is only sold as a wheelset.

I “thought” there were some Shimano wheelsets that were marketed with a “wheelset” model number. They obviously didn’t have any rim brake only stickers on them.

John
Old 08-16-20, 02:11 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Not a physics major, but isn’t the difference in forces involved sort of like different locations of a fulcrum on a lever system? I.E. the brake pads acting further or closer from the outside of the wheel, where the friction with the ground is? If only Jobst were still around lol!

Last edited by frankenmike; 08-16-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 02:27 PM
abourgault

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2020, Marinoni VR2 2005 (sold)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With rim brakes, the spokes have their initial tension plus the load applied by the bike and cargo while braking. With disc brakes you have those 2 loads plus the tension generate in the spoke by the hub pulling on them to decelerate the rotation.
Old 08-16-20, 03:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
For all the analysis, has anyone ever seen a rim brake rim fail when set up for disc brakes?

It is probably to keep someone from sticking the wheel on a bike with disc brakes and then rolling over a cliff.

Probably for those who survived quick release skewers.

John
Old 08-16-20, 04:09 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by abourgault
With rim brakes, the spokes have their initial tension plus the load applied by the bike and cargo while braking. With disc brakes you have those 2 loads plus the tension generate in the spoke by the hub pulling on them to decelerate the rotation.
No. The load on the spokes would be the same. Nothing has changed. The hub pulls the spoke no matter where the spokes are attached.

Old 08-16-20, 04:47 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Just my thoughts, I am no physicist, but The actual contact point is where the rubber meets the road, thus don't rim brakes transmit the force to the rim directly and thus to the tire and the road surface, where disks must go through the spokes to reach the rim and tire.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 08-16-20, 05:35 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by royphotog
Just my thoughts, I am no physicist, but The actual contact point is where the rubber meets the road, thus don't rim brakes transmit the force to the rim directly and thus to the tire and the road surface, where disks must go through the spokes to reach the rim and tire.
They both go through the spokes to the contact patch. The hub isn’t the only part that is spinning. The whole wheel is a unit that spins. A rim brake and a hub mounted disc are the same thing...a spinning disc of metal to which friction is applied. They work in the same way. Only the applied force matters, not the manner or location to which it is applied.

Think of it this way, if the force were doubled using a hub mounted disc, the spokes would be under more stress and more likely to break. That’s just not something that happens with hub mounted disc. Additionally, If the force were doubled, either the bike would stop in half the time (not in my experience) or the brakes would require 1/2 the force to send the rider over the bars. Braking deceleration on a bicycle is limited by the location of the center of gravity. Too much braking doesn’t result in skidding of the front wheel...we can’t overcome the friction between the tire and the road...but by the rider rotating around the hub (not precisely accurate but close enough). Double the force on the brakes and you need 1/2 as much force to rotate the rider over the hub and into the ground.

Finally, I’m not sure that radial lacing would be an issue. The wheel is under tension and, again, a unit. Push in one place to decrease the tension and the tension will increase in another place. The hub can’t rotate under braking because the hub can’t rotate, period.

Old 08-16-20, 05:55 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Why would a rim says, "for disc brakes only"? For the same reason vinyl-clad, particle board specials slapped together on drained swampland are called, "Balmoral Estates"...marketing. Srsly, lots of things are just marketing BS. Many people are cutting the cord now and putting up antennas. Lately I've been seeing a lot of TV antennas marketed as 'digital' antennas. Guess what? There is no such thing as a 'digital' TV antenna. Antennas are tuned to pick up certain frequencies, the antenna doesn't care if what's coming over on that frequency is analog or digital. Like B.T. Barnum used to say, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Old 08-16-20, 06:38 PM
abourgault

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2020, Marinoni VR2 2005 (sold)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No. The load on the spokes would be the same. Nothing has changed. The hub pulls the spoke no matter where the spokes are attached.
When the brakes are not applied, with rim brakes or disk brakes you have exactly the same loads on the spokes. Now consider the brakes are applied on the disk brakes. You're saying that the loads on the spokes will not change? So how the braking moment create by the disk brake is transfered to the rim?
Old 08-16-20, 06:57 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by abourgault
When the brakes are not applied, with rim brakes or disk brakes you have exactly the same loads on the spokes. Now consider the brakes are applied on the disk brakes. You're saying that the loads on the spokes will not change? So how the braking moment create by the disk brake is transfered to the rim?
The weight of the bike and rider is all carried on the hub and transferred to the wheel through the spokes. It doesn't matter where the braking force is applied to the wheel, if you are slowing down over the same distance then you are slowing down with the same braking force and the same braking load will be experienced by the spokes.
Likes For Skulking:
Old 08-16-20, 07:07 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
They both go through the spokes to the contact patch. The hub isn’t the only part that is spinning. The whole wheel is a unit that spins. A rim brake and a hub mounted disc are the same thing...a spinning disc of metal to which friction is applied. They work in the same way. Only the applied force matters, not the manner or location to which it is applied.

Think of it this way, if the force were doubled using a hub mounted disc, the spokes would be under more stress and more likely to break. That’s just not something that happens with hub mounted disc. Additionally, If the force were doubled, either the bike would stop in half the time (not in my experience) or the brakes would require 1/2 the force to send the rider over the bars. Braking deceleration on a bicycle is limited by the location of the center of gravity. Too much braking doesn’t result in skidding of the front wheel...we can’t overcome the friction between the tire and the road...but by the rider rotating around the hub (not precisely accurate but close enough). Double the force on the brakes and you need 1/2 as much force to rotate the rider over the hub and into the ground.

Finally, I’m not sure that radial lacing would be an issue. The wheel is under tension and, again, a unit. Push in one place to decrease the tension and the tension will increase in another place. The hub can’t rotate under braking because the hub can’t rotate, period.
i think you didn't take into account how braking forces are transmitted to the rim: with disc brakes, they are transmitted to the rim through the holed part of rim.. with rim brakes, they are located on rim walls.
So it seems ok to accept that some designs are not compatible with rim brakes.
Old 08-16-20, 07:43 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by holytrousers
i think you didn't take into account how braking forces are transmitted to the rim: with disc brakes, they are transmitted to the rim through the holed part of rim.. with rim brakes, they are located on rim walls.
So it seems ok to accept that some designs are not compatible with rim brakes.
There is no rim design that I can think of that would be incompatible with a hub mounted disc brake. The forces on the rim are small. The spokes do most of the work. There are legitimate reasons for not using a disc rim with a rim brake...the sidewalls have been reduced and there is no brake track...but the opposite isn’t true of rim brake rims. Rims for rim brakes tend to be heavier because the brake track adds to the weight but, if anything, that would add strength to the rim, not take it away.

Old 08-16-20, 07:45 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Skulking
The weight of the bike and rider is all carried on the hub and transferred to the wheel through the spokes. It doesn't matter where the braking force is applied to the wheel, if you are slowing down over the same distance then you are slowing down with the same braking force and the same braking load will be experienced by the spokes.
Couldn’t have said it better. And I wouldn’t have been nearly as succinct

Old 08-16-20, 09:43 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
the spoke loading should be equivalent.
No, it will differ. There are aftward forces transmitted from rim to hub to bike in both cases, but disc brakes also apply torsion from the hub to the rim through the spokes. That's why many rim-brake front wheels are laced completely radially, while disc-brake wheels always have some leading and trailing spokes in the lacing pattern.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-16-20, 10:17 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
From Sheldon: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/torque-spoking.html

An excerpt: " A rim brake transmits all torque to the frame or fork directly -- none through the spokes: the hub is free to turn, except for the tiny amount of torque due to rolling resistance of the hub's bearings. For this reason, a wheel with a rim brake can be spoked radially, as long as the hub's flanges can withstand the direct outward pull of the spokes. .With a hub brake -- drum, disc, coaster -- on the other hand, all of the torque from braking is transmitted through the spokes, and so the spokes must be laced in a cross pattern."

And there is more, it is a great article.
Likes For phughes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.