Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Early morning riders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Early morning riders

Old 08-14-20, 03:11 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I was responding to your original statement, before you edited it:

If you feel like I drew an unfair inference based on that, and that additional context is needed, then I apologize and will withdraw my comment. I agree with you that fasted riding for long periods at high intensities increase the likelihood of a bonk. I also hope that you will agree that many riders like myself safely and successfully employ fasted training. There's a growing body of literature on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6983467/
I really have no opinion on fasted training. If it works for you, great! Your and others' interpretations weren't in line with what I meant, so I'll openly admit that my original statement was missing some context and was worded poorly, but I really don't see anything controversial in it (guess thats my problem), thus I'm surprised at the reactions.

With that said, workday is over, I'm gonna go eat something and ride my bike
Old 08-14-20, 04:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
OP said they don't eat enough and was looking for ideas of what to eat before a ride. All the "I (or you) don't need anything for breakfast before a ride" does not apply. They also said weight is not an issue.

Sure, if you eat too much and are overweight go ahead and skip some meals and pedal away!

Also, if you "can't" eat shortly after waking up, see a doctor... that's not normal.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-14-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 09:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I also hope that you will agree that many riders like myself safely and successfully employ fasted training. There's a growing body of literature on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6983467/
The concluding portion of the abstract for that link reads as follows:

”.... Several studies indicate a broader impact of fasting on metabolism, with effects on protein and glucose metabolism in sedentary and untrained subjects. However, there are conflicting data regarding the effects of fasting on glucose metabolism in highly trained athletes. The effects of fasting on physical performance indicators also remain unclear, with some reporting a decreased performance, while others found no significant effects. Differences in experimental design, severity of calorie restriction, duration, and participant characteristics could, at least in part, explain such discordant findings. Our review of the literature suggests that there is little evidence to support the notion of endurance training and fasting-mediated increases in fat oxidation, and we recommend that endurance athletes should avoid high intensity training while fasting.”

I’m open to the possibility that there could be benefits but this suggests to me that there isn’t consistent evidence.

Otto
Old 08-14-20, 10:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
WELL, just past 12AM and heading out without anything since dinner. Going for a 75 miler to 100 so Catch y'all on the flip side

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-15-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 04:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Just did over 80 miles on E. Drank over a gallon of water & had a sodium tab.
Old 08-15-20, 06:36 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Almost all of my rides begin between 4:15 & 5:30 AM, but the duration of the ride dictates what I eat.
*1-2 hour rides: either nothing or just coffee
*3-7 hour rides (Saturday’s): one serving of either oatmeal (no sugar, just a little salt) or one serving of quinoa with 1 full egg and 1-2 egg whites. And coffee!
* This morning (Saturday) I tried my quick hiking Breakfast of 8oz almond milk, 0.5 cup of raw oatmeal, 0.25 cup of chia seeds, one serving of vanilla protein powder. It all goes in a cup the night before in the refrigerator. It has a tapioca pudding consistency the next morning. It was quite satisfying in taste and for the ride.

NOTE: my Saturday morning breakfast is usually eaten about an hour before I ride, sometimes 90 minutes before.
Old 08-15-20, 08:17 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Pedaling without having eaten something before the ride can be difficult and exhausting if your body hasn't switched to its fasting metabolism, which needs at least 12 hours of 0 calories intake (coffee water etc are ok..) but once you are fasting you will be surprised how much energetic and light it feels. And you will burn a lot of fat that way...
Old 08-16-20, 09:19 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
Usually nothing.

Two 200-250 calorie energy bars for 100+ mile rides then half one every hour.

You can't digest more than 240 calories of sucrose and 120 calories of fructose an hour. A little protein helps alertness and a little fat helps satiety but they won't do much for energy.
Old 08-17-20, 08:27 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Pedaling without having eaten something before the ride can be difficult and exhausting if your body hasn't switched to its fasting metabolism, which needs at least 12 hours of 0 calories intake (coffee water etc are ok..) but once you are fasting you will be surprised how much energetic and light it feels. And you will burn a lot of fat that way...

I DON'T want to burn fat. I need to gain weight. I've lost over 50 pounds since April.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 08-17-20, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Doesnt everyone know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day**********???
Old 08-17-20, 09:22 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
I DON'T want to burn fat. I need to gain weight. I've lost over 50 pounds since April.
Have copious meals after the ride, followed by some good sleep ! That's when your body regenerates itself and repairs muscle tissue...
I don't think it's a good idea to eat a lot before having a ride, your stomach will be spending a lot of energy to digest the food and you will feel weak.. have something light and prefer eating during the ride. You can also put some sugar in your water bottle ( with some lemon for the taste) for the latter half of your ride.
Old 08-17-20, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Sorry that I can't relate to that, and wouldn't dare advise you on how to do it. I'm just going to relate my own experience, which may or may not be helpful.

I usually ride a century or better every Saturday during a 9 month biking season, and I start out in the morning. I experimented with eating less, eating more and eating different for breakfast than I did other days, and I found eating more tended to make me feel sick, eating less left me with less energy, and going more carby tended to make me feel tired earlier in the ride than I normally would. Long story short, I found the best thing to do was to have the same breakfast I had every other day with absolutely no variation from the routine. I did that yesterday, then ate nothing on a century, and was a-okay. Ate like a great white shark when I got home, however.

I won't pry into what's causing the weight loss issue, but hope you are well.
Old 08-17-20, 10:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Have you discussed this with your doctor/dietition yet? If not, it probably would be wise to.

Being heavier than ideal is so common today, even among those who regularly cycle, that many assume that everyone wants/needs/can afford to lose weight... when that's clearly not the case. I've been steady at a slim weight forever. Can't gain no matter what I eat. Riding on empty surely would burn something I'd rather not lose. Since you actually want to gain weight, riding without fuel would be an even bigger mistake. Listen to an expert who better knows and understands your body and situation.

I wish you well and hope to see a positive update.
Old 08-17-20, 11:08 AM
Skimax

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I do an early bird ride a few times a week with a local group that departs at 5:30am... I'm usually eating a banana while riding my bike to meet at the start. This is usually only 20 miles though so I am pretty good with just that.
Old 08-17-20, 11:15 AM
glennwegner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like the heat and have figured out that early is the only time of day tolerable for me to be outside. What do you morning people eat before a ride? I have been having food issues (I don't eat enough) and need ideas for how to fuel my body so I can get out and ride. I'm not trying to lose weight so not concerned about calories or fat.
If my ride is under 100km/3 hours I often won't eat anything, or at most a piece of fruit, but I always bring a gel or 2 just in case I run out of gas. If I'm going longer, what I consume depends on how long between breakfast and the ride. If I have more than an hour I will eat oatmeal, eggs, fruit, high fat (11%) yogurt. Like someone else said, if you are going at a relatively easy pace, eat whatever you want. Your body will likely be able to digest and put out power at the same time. I do eat a lot when I'm done, then again in about an hour. By lunch time I'm basically on my third meal, so I'm getting enough food in, just not before I ride. Good luck sorting this out - nutrition and physical activity are very personal, and when you do get it figured out, both will be more enjoyable.
Old 08-17-20, 11:25 AM
TexasVol1794

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Anything under 90 minutes, nothing but coffee. Longer rides, yogurt and walnuts, and some fresh or dried fruit stirred in, if available. That will keep me going up to 3 1/2 hours.
Same for me but water instead of coffee. Maybe a banana. Brekkie and coffee At the end are my inspiration to get through 25 miles quickly at 6am
Old 08-17-20, 11:37 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I have my usual breakfast of fresh fruit (banana, strawberries, blueberries, raisins with cold cereal and almond milk. Coffee if there’s time or I have it when I get back. As others have said, my morning rides are usually short so I may not have anything when I get home.
Old 08-17-20, 12:08 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Doesnt everyone know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day**********???
Sure is.
My pre-ride breakfast is usually steel-cut oats with a heaping spoonful of natural peanut butter (salt+fat) mixed in, 2Tbsp of maple syrup (Quebec's finest) on top and about 1 cup of fresh fruit, whatever is in season.
Old 08-17-20, 12:19 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Morning Breakfast Before Riding

If I'm going to do a long road bike ride, I'll cook 6 pancakes the night before, usually with blueberries. I leave them covered overnight and when
I get up, I get a cup of Keurig coffee, and warm up 3 pancakes, doused with syrup. That typically holds me for around 30-35 mi. I take the left over
pancakes and put 2 into a ziplock bag and stuff in my back pocket and snack on them while I'm riding to keep the energy levels going. I also take every
hour, one Succeed electrolyte cap regardless if it's hot or not. If I'm sweating heavily, I'll take one every 30 min. Been taking the Succeed electrolyte
caps since 1996 during my ultrarunning years and they keep my electrolytes in balance with no cramping. I take 2 25 oz Polar bottles of Tailwind energy
mixed with water, freezing one bottle the night before to about 3/4 full then add water in the morning.

For rides of less than 30 mi, I'll have raw oats with blueberries, and Greek yogurt (low sugar) and mix that all up. That gets me through a 30 mile road ride
or a 25-30 gravel bike ride. I'll also carry a Qwest energy bar (low in sugar, high in carb) on all my rides and typically only eat 1/3 to 1/2 during a ride.
Old 08-17-20, 12:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I don't really understand how pre-ride meals (or the lack thereof) would have anything to do with overall weight loss or gain. Isn't dietary weight loss or gain more related to total calories (and types of food) consumed throughout the entire day?

I don't generally eat before a morning ride, but that doesn't mean I'm skipping a meal. I definitely still eat breakfast, usually immediately after coming home. I mostly eat the same things that everyone else is talking about in this thread. I also don't have a weight loss goal, and my decision to ride before eating has never had anything to do with a desire to lose weight. I have always preferred to time my workouts so that I can eat immediately after them, and not before. I do this even when I ride later in the day as well.
Old 08-17-20, 12:35 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by run50
If I'm going to do a long road bike ride, I'll cook 6 pancakes the night before, usually with blueberries. I leave them covered overnight and when
I get up, I get a cup of Keurig coffee, and warm up 3 pancakes, doused with syrup. That typically holds me for around 30-35 mi. I take the left over
pancakes and put 2 into a ziplock bag and stuff in my back pocket and snack on them while I'm riding to keep the energy levels going. I also take every
hour, one Succeed electrolyte cap regardless if it's hot or not. If I'm sweating heavily, I'll take one every 30 min. Been taking the Succeed electrolyte
caps since 1996 during my ultrarunning years and they keep my electrolytes in balance with no cramping. I take 2 25 oz Polar bottles of Tailwind energy
mixed with water, freezing one bottle the night before to about 3/4 full then add water in the morning.

For rides of less than 30 mi, I'll have raw oats with blueberries, and Greek yogurt (low sugar) and mix that all up. That gets me through a 30 mile road ride
or a 25-30 gravel bike ride. I'll also carry a Qwest energy bar (low in sugar, high in carb) on all my rides and typically only eat 1/3 to 1/2 during a ride.
OK, but what do you do with the 6th pancake?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-17-20, 01:13 PM
binkata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Glycogen-depleted training is a thing, but I've found it to not be good for me. There is a difference between female and male physiology, and most research tends to focus on men...so, you'll have to find what works for you (I'm F/41).

Obviously you've also discovered that you have to eat something. For me: if it's a moderate+ effort, but short--like hammering a local loop like a personal TT (but not killing yourself like actual racing)--maybe half a banana and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter with my coffee plus 4-6 oz of water as a chaser BEFORE I get kitted up for the ride.

If I'm aiming for longer/hilly ride, then about 3/4 cup of prepared sweetened oatmeal with 1/2 banana and a handful of nuts stirred in (or 1/2 c. granola plus about 1/4 c. fruit and 1/4 c. yogurt all mixed together), plus the coffee and water. I may substitute the liquids with 6-8 oz. of orange juice if I'm not having caffeine. This is also done before getting dressed unless I'm driving to the start, in which case I'll dress first. I eat the other half of the banana as I park the car.

Anything easier or about 1 hr: I'll just have water and half a bar, pocket the other half in case I need it and have my coffee when I get home.
Likes For binkata:
Old 08-17-20, 01:56 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't really understand how pre-ride meals (or the lack thereof) would have anything to do with overall weight loss or gain. Isn't dietary weight loss or gain more related to total calories (and types of food) consumed throughout the entire day?
Well, in the case of breakfast, you've already spent 8-12 hours or so since your last meal. Now you skip eating and head out and start burning calories. They have to come from somewhere. If it's a long ride, I guess it could be from fat, (if you have plenty to spare) Or it could be from muscles you aren't using so much.
Old 08-17-20, 02:39 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Coffee & English Muffin with reduced fat peanut butter for my 54 mile morning rides on even days and 27 miles on odd days. I take a day off a Saturday or Sunday treat myself that day with jelly added to the mix. Also, l ways have a cliff bar in the bag just in case. Is it good for me? Heck if I know I but I like it.
Old 08-17-20, 03:37 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I don't eat anything before I go out for my early morning 2 hour ride. I do drink some Emergen-C though. I don't like the feeling of food in my stomach when I ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.