Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day - Next Tuesday

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 02:24 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts

It's time to find a new home for my Diverge Comp. I got a trade-in quote today, but I'm going to try to re-home her before next Tuesday. It will be replaced with something which should provide more fun. Totally different but kind of the same.

It's 1x Dura-Ace Di-2, and Crabon as far as the eye can see! Crabon frame, cranks, bars, seat post and wheel. Hopefully it will help me get my monthly miles back up (I'm not a fan of August). I'll run tubeless, probably GP5000TL in 32mm to start with, but I could go as wide as 38mm. For some reasons I often refer to my bicycles as horses. The Diverge was the Pale Horse, the Roubaix is the Dark Horse. If I keep that up the new bike will probably have to be called the Green-Purple Unicorn.

All hints. Feel free to guess what the new bike will be. Pictures to follow next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-27-20, 09:32 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Ok I will wait for the pix
Old 08-27-20, 09:48 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
S-works Tarmac ? 😱

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-27-20 at 09:53 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-27-20, 10:05 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
S-works Tarmac ? 😱
Its a 1x drive train DI2, I think Diverge expert carbon. S-works Crux.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 08-27-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 10:19 PM
OldCruiser

The S-Works Tarmac SL7 Pro is 1X 12

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-27-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 10:28 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

The S-Works Tarmac SL7 Pro is 1X 12
I didn't see that, the all looked 2x to me.
but isn't that 1x Tarmac E-tap not DI2
Old 08-28-20, 05:07 AM
MattTheHat 

S-Works part is right. Not Tarmac or Crux or Diverge. Hint...I’m going to need to free up some space on my charging station in the man cave.
Old 08-28-20, 05:13 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
S-Works part is right. Not Tarmac or Crux or Diverge. Hint...I’m going to need to free up some space on my charging station in the man cave.
I looked at the Turbo , but said , naaaaw ! LOL
Old 08-28-20, 06:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Your miles might go up but you know with an ebike they don't count for anything. Sounds like a fun way to pass the time, nevertheless
Old 08-28-20, 06:59 AM
cyclist2000

I didn't think you would go for electric
Old 08-28-20, 07:23 AM
MattTheHat 

I looked at the Turbo , but said , naaaaw ! LOL
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Your miles might go up but you know with an ebike they don't count for anything. Sounds like a fun way to pass the time, nevertheless
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I didn't think you would go for electric
All things I’ve said to myself over the past few weeks.

I could be completely wrong, but I doubt the Creo will replace the Roubaix. I just like the idea of doing all the work myself. However...since I use the power meter to gauge my riding intensity, I’m thinking that I could likely do the same amount of work on the e-bike but just have more fun covering more miles. My primary hope is that my less intense rides (several per week) can be in the endurance range but still be fun. Right now recovery rides are kind of boring.

A secondary hope is that I can get a little bit of wear and tear off my knees. In really active months, they bother me a bit.

I rode one Tuesday and couldn’t wipe the grin off my face. But that was a short ride. It’s entirely possible that I don’t care for the whole experience on real rides. But from what I’m reading and watching that seems unlikely.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-28-20, 07:29 AM
OldCruiser

I’d like to test ride one . 😎
I think one would make a nice addition to the stable, but it wouldn’t be my only bike .
How much does it weigh ?

Edit: I found the weight . 26.8 lbs . That’s probably less than most of my bikes .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-28-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 10:46 AM
MattTheHat 

I think one would make a nice addition to the stable, but it wouldn’t be my only bike .
How much does it weigh ?

Edit: I found the weight . 26.8 lbs . That’s probably less than most of my bikes .
With the range extended that's probably closer to 30 pounds, though I don't anticipate riding with that too much. Riding with the power off wasn't too bad at all.
Old 08-28-20, 09:33 PM
cyclist2000

How much does it weigh ?

That probably weights more than 80% of my bikes
Old 08-28-20, 09:35 PM
cyclist2000

All things I’ve said to myself over the past few weeks.

I could be completely wrong, but I doubt the Creo will replace the Roubaix. I just like the idea of doing all the work myself. However...since I use the power meter to gauge my riding intensity, I’m thinking that I could likely do the same amount of work on the e-bike but just have more fun covering more miles. My primary hope is that my less intense rides (several per week) can be in the endurance range but still be fun. Right now recovery rides are kind of boring.

A secondary hope is that I can get a little bit of wear and tear off my knees. In really active months, they bother me a bit.

I rode one Tuesday and couldn’t wipe the grin off my face. But that was a short ride. It’s entirely possible that I don’t care for the whole experience on real rides. But from what I’m reading and watching that seems unlikely.
One of those would keep a grin on my face for a long time. But I won't get one unless I can't ride my bikes anymore.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 08-28-20, 10:10 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
One of those would keep a grin on my face for a long time. But I won't get one unless I can't ride my bikes anymore.
I got single speed Cruisers that weigh over 40 lbs . 😱
big Tires and heavy duty rims put a lot of my bikes closer to the 30 pound range . I need to weigh some of them , it’s got my curiosity up .
I can use my archery bow scale to weigh them . I think it goes up to 100 lbs .
Old 09-01-20, 07:22 PM
MattTheHat 

The bike didn’t make it to the LBS on Monday. It might have made it today (didn’t check), but the assembler was off. Hoping for tomorrow. And of course, rain here for three more days!
Old 09-01-20, 09:11 PM
OldCruiser

The bike didn’t make it to the LBS on Monday. It might have made it today (didn’t check), but the assembler was off. Hoping for tomorrow. And of course, rain here for three more days!
Bummer ! ☹️
Old 09-02-20, 02:30 PM
MattTheHat 

Just picked her up. I have some transparent sidewall tubeless tires to install and then we're ready for some pics. Except I think the weather won't be cooperating and I've got a 2 hour Zoom meeting tonight. Pics coming soon.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-02-20, 02:46 PM
OldCruiser

Looking forward to seeing the pictures . 😛
Old 09-03-20, 11:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Picked up the new bike yesterday afternoon. Installed some Roubaix Pro Tubeless in 32mm with transparent sidewalls late yesterday afternoon and removed and waxed the chain. Got a new Garmin Varia radar rear blinky light and slapped that on along with setting up the integrated computer/headlight mount. Charged the Di2 and battery. Mounted the water bottle cages, adjusted the saddle and put on my saddle bag. Rode about 25 miles this morning.

If the bike is powered on, you get power numbers transmitted to your ride computer (if you pair them). I'm probably going to reset the low power range to the smallest power boost it will allow, either 0 or 1% so I can have the power data even when riding without boost. With the power off, on the flats it's very much like my Roubaix, but a little smoother, probably because of the added weight and carbon bars. In fact, after spending 15 minutes disassembling and tightening the integrated mount in the dark, I didn't realize the bike had turned itself off. I didn't notice it for about a half mile. Very, very smooth ride without power. But, I didn't get the bike to ride without power.

At the low power setting (30% of your power added) it's kind of like riding on a great day with a perpetual tail wind. So on a very average day you can probably better many of your PRs (though Strava doesn't count them) by a couple of seconds. Nice.

At the middle power setting (60% of your power added) it's more fun. I think I like this setting the best. It's noticeably easier on the knees when spinning up.

At full power (doubling your power up to 250 watts) it a lot of fun. Interestingly, though, you notice it more when moving a lower speeds, which makes sense. It's not a natural feeling at lower speeds. Not off-putting, but very obvious. When you hammer it at higher speed though, the boost isn't as noticeable. Once you're really hammering it, it almost feels like it's not doing anything. So, cranking up a 4-5% hill out of the saddle, you don't notice the boost so much. It does make pedaling out of the saddle feel different. It's a little hard to describe. I'm not sure if it's a low cadence thing or what. Maybe at lower cadences, the boost tapers off. I'm going to have to experiment. My gut feel is that the faster climbing would be spinning about 90 RPMs in the saddle.

I'm going to need a few more rides before I have a good feel for how the bike's brain is handling the power. But it's definitely fun.

One very unexpected bonus...I don't mind stopping. On a real bike, rolling up to a stop sign, I'm making every effort to time my arrival so I don't have to stop. I just kind of slow down until right of way is yielded, and keep going...and I sure don't stop to let cars go before me if I get there first. I won't talk about how I normally handle stop lights when traffic is light. My knees just don't like the strain of getting back up to speed from a dead stop. Even at the low power level, it really takes the strain off the knees. I even pulled a nicehole and waved a van on that I beat to the stop!

Shifting is very smooth. The Praxis crank/sprocket seems much, much stiffer than the Ultegra setup on my Roubaix, which I can see flexing. Brakes are very nice. Wheels are super smooth.

Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-03-20, 05:11 PM
OldCruiser

Nice looking bike !
Old 09-03-20, 05:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Nice looking bike !
Thanks!

After The second ride, my numbers above are off. I think I was in the 60% mode most of the time I was thinking I was in the 30 percent mode. Whatever the case the 100% mode is the fun one.

When I really work really hard it feels like I’m working against the bike a bit. Hard to explain. The maximum benefits come when you’re putting out right at 250 watts in the full power mode. Work harder and it’s like the power tapers off.

I did find that a longer hold of the power mode button puts it in bypass mode so the bike sends unassisted power data to the Wahoo. Problem is, it’s still flagged as an e-bike ride. So, no PRs even with power off if you want power data. Without power data you could cheat and record PRs even in 100% mode. Of course, you’d never again get a PR on your regular bike.

Very interesting ride. It will be interesting to see if riding it aids in recovery.
Old 09-03-20, 05:34 PM
OldCruiser

Sounds like a fun new toy !