Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My riding experience is foreign to you, yours is to me too

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My riding experience is foreign to you, yours is to me too

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 12:23 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Yep, all true. IL has hills if you look for them. Even in Chicagoland we've got Sterne's Woods and Moraine Hills State Park. Most people would consider the riding there to be a little hilly.
I grew up in Crystal Lake. Sterne's Woods, was "Old Man" Sterne's farm at the time. Used to blast through there on a dirt bike. Fished at Moraine Hills. Couple of good hills out in Bull Valley.

Doesn't compare to what I've seen in the PNW.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-01-20, 12:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Here in Holland we have an excellent cycling infrastructure by pretty much any standard:

And I don't like it much.

It's flat, it's windy, it's often busy, very safe and - frankly - pretty boring as well.

I much prefer the ancient roads of southern Europe, meandering from town to town through the hilly countryside. So whenever I get the chance I take my bike to France or Italy.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-01-20, 02:14 PM
amedias

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
I’m from the UK, and there’s a few things I always find alien when they get discussed by you (mostly US) guys:

1 - fenders/mud guards, some of you get it as you have similar climate, but I’m always baffled by the concept of being able to ride a bike without them except for 3-4 weeks in the height of summer.

its not even that I ride in the rain much, it’s the fact that the roads are always a ‘bit’ wet as it probably has recently rained and not dried out yet, it’s the water from underneath we need protection from not above.

2 - gearing... now this is not just about elevation, it’s about gradient.

i honestly struggle to imagine living in a place where there are no hills, I saw a ride posted by a guy the other day, 100miles and 1000ft if climbing, we average 1000ft per 10miles here!

But overall elevation isn’t as high as most mountainous areas so on top of that it’s not done as alpine climbs at 6-7% for a long time, it’s all short sharp twisty stuff... 10% is a gentle hill here, the steep ones are 20% and the horrible ones are 30% (not all of the UK is like this, just my local bit)

so.... I find it hard to relate to people who can ride standard doubles, compacts are even a struggle on long or hillier rides here, and I’ve been met with incredulous looks when I’ve suggested a 1:1 crawler gear is a good idea, people think or assume I’m just lazy.

3 - tyres, our roads are bad, really really bad. 23mm tyres are for crits and main roads only for short periods. 25-28 is much better but if you venture into our county lanes then the bigger the better. This is another one of those ‘you don’t get it till you’ve ridden it’ things.

Last edited by amedias; 09-01-20 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For amedias:
Old 09-01-20, 04:41 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Just as the title says; our riding experiences differ so much. I thought about this as a fellow poster mentioned riding on a crushed gravel trail vs the paved ones. What is “normal” to one is “foreign” to another, especially as this site has such a diverse group of posters from all over. What can you say that you find totally odd, or that is your normal riding experience that others just can’t comprehend?

I will start by saying it took me awhile to wrap my head around what seemed like a fixation on brakes. My experience is flatlands, so brakes just stopped you at an intersection and only had to be so so. I guess I am slow, but the light bulb lit when I saw that people posting on great brakes were from places with mountains or big hills. It was just foreign to my whole experience, as the flatlands riding with no hair raising 40mph descents may be to you.

Ditto for a post from someone talking a type of local pointed plant causing flats. Road conditions or lack of is quite area specific. Lucky is the well traveled person who has experienced many environments.
Oh, I have found I can get flats on a wide variety of surfaces! Though (knocking on wood) I haven't had many lately, and fact, not any. But have had plenty at one time or another.
Old 09-01-20, 04:43 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I’ve recently experienced some paved roads that were not like my local paved roads. When folks write about needing wider tires for their roads, I would roll my eyes. Something called chip-seal made 28+ Tires essential? Then, last month, I rode a bit around Tucson, and later, North Tx. I think I get it now. Next trip out that way, I’ll bring the same bike, leave the 23s at home, and be thankful that bike has room for 28s.
I spent a year with tubeless. Never again.
Old 09-01-20, 05:32 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Let me add another dimension to our discussion. It's not just weather and terrain that make our rides different. It's also our personal history.
My first 50 mile ride was in 1965. I've been riding the roads of the greater San Francisco Bay Area steadily since then. I'm used to the sometimes-narrow shoulders and heavy traffic on our coastal Highway 1 and our other rural roads. I don't pay much attention to it. I'm somewhat baffled by the newer riders with lime green jackets and flashing lights front and rear in broad daylight. I'm sure they are equally baffled by me and are sure that I'm going to be mowed down by a wayward Prius just around the next bend. I can't count the times I've been riding with other cyclists, having a fine time, when one shouts something about a passing vehicle like "Oh my God! That car almost ran us off the road!" We all have different expectations.

I commuted to work by bicycle for a few years. I was warned by fellow cyclists about the municipal buses. At first I was intimidated by how close the bus drivers, driving their wide buses in narrow lanes, would come to me as they passed. After a while I learned that those bus drivers know exactly how wide their bus is, even if it is only 18 inches away from my handlebars. It's the cars you have to watch out for: The only times I've been run off the road were by cars who thought they could safely make that turn in front of that "slow" bicycle. (also the BMW coming around a blind turn on the wrong side of the road) I completely understand those urban riders with flashing light front and rear while riding at night in San Francisco.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 09-01-20, 07:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by BEC111
I’m in Northern Virginia and mostly ride the W&OD MUP. I’m a few miles west of halfway. Paved path, two lanes very well maintained. Hilly with a general elevation increase East to West, but only a few hundred feet for any 5 mile segments.
We should ride sometime.
I usually do the W&OD once a week, one week east from Vienna (32 miles round trip, about 2 hours), the next week west to Purcelleville from the lot at Pacific (42 miles round trip, anout 2 hours 20 mins).
Old 09-02-20, 02:21 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
We should ride sometime.
I usually do the W&OD once a week, one week east from Vienna (32 miles round trip, about 2 hours), the next week west to Purcelleville from the lot at Pacific (42 miles round trip, anout 2 hours 20 mins).
Definitely. When do you do these rides? My informal group does our five or ten mile rides on weekdays. Longer rides are for weekends, though we’re discussing a weekday when the others can take the day off from work. I’m retired so that’s not an issue for me.
Old 09-02-20, 05:13 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Rain. It doesn't rain much around here, but when it does, you really don't want to be out in it. So fenders are kind of moot. I see some people extol the virtues of fenders, and I have to remind myself that they probably are suitable in other places.
Totally agree. Rain in central Texas actually just means it's storming and it also probably came out of nowhere, so you can't plan for it anyway. I ride all the time and commute and don't have fenders either. You just don't want to be out when it rains.

Last edited by walnutz; 09-02-20 at 05:17 PM.