Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cold mornings bothering my knees

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 04:44 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

In my neck of the woods the mornings have gotten a bit on the chilly side and yesterday my knees were bothering me after my morning commute. Any suggestions? My favorite LBS has no leg or knee warmers in my size, L or XL... Lots of stuff for the smaller rider but not for the bigger guys... The knees were bothering me enough that I may not want to ride in the mornings until I can find some knee warmers. It isn't a fit issue as nothing was wrong before the temps lowered in the am...

thanks gang...
Old 09-01-20, 04:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Tights?
Old 09-01-20, 05:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
By a pair of hockey socks and cut off the foot section. The high tube part will work great as a leg warmer. They'll last a long time if you get someone to sew a band of elastic around the bottom where the cut was made. Ah, I see a lot of them don't have feet. Something like these should work.

https://www.boathouse.com/products/h...?basketIndex=0

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-01-20, 05:54 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Have a look around at what's available through the UK. Road.cc does lots of clothing etc. reviews. Have seen a couple of knee 'warmers' which were more like wind-stopper material which is really what you want.

I had a below-the-knee Castelli bib which had a bit of fleece in them, for cooler temps. Found though, just having that fleece didn't stop the wind that great (knees were still getting cold and locking-up a bit).

Then I came across another model they did which actually had more of a wind-stopper fabric around the knee. That did the trick nicely. Can't seem to find that same model with their latest offerings though.
Old 09-01-20, 06:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
If you find something that works into the 30 and 40 degree area, please let us know! I am unable to ride in temps lower than 50 degrees regardless of the leg protection I have on.
Old 09-01-20, 06:23 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
order off the internet?
Old 09-01-20, 07:00 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Knee warmers are a thing. I have some for the same reason as the OP... when it gets cold, my knees don't like it. Knee warmers are easy to pull off which is important as Fall days usually start-out cold but can warm-up pretty quickly.

For colder weather riding, I've found fleece lined riding gear to be wonderful. With long sleeves and long tights that are fleeced lined, I can comfortably ride to 45 degrees F (my cut-off point) without any other layers.
Old 09-01-20, 09:28 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Hey gang, this afternoon I found a popular LBS that had several brands of knee warmers in my size, I bought a pair of 'Sugoi Zap' knee warmers and will pick them up tomorrow afternoon - will let you know how well they work as soon as I've tried them out.

cheers,

Lorne
Old 09-02-20, 02:58 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
My favourites were long an older version of these https://www.mcdavid.eu/product/volleyball-knee-pads/
Guaranteed wind proof and impervious to rain.
For less severe weather I use these https://houdinisportswear.com/de-de/...olor=328234900
Old 09-02-20, 10:21 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Go to a Goodwill or other thrift shop, but a couple large sweaters (wool or synthetic), cut the sleeves off and use as knee warmers.
Old 09-02-20, 10:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
Hey gang, this afternoon I found a popular LBS that had several brands of knee warmers in my size, I bought a pair of 'Sugoi Zap' knee warmers and will pick them up tomorrow afternoon - will let you know how well they work as soon as I've tried them out.
I suspect you're set for weather down to about 40°F, if you don't have some condition that limits your cold adaptability.

I'm guessing you're got something to keep your ears warm, as well as a jacket or heavy wool jersey, and gloves? You can lose a lot o body heat from your head and torso, and cold hands aren't comfortable. For my riding below 40° or so, tights are better than knee warmers. Keep riding and soon you'll have a whole new cool weather wardrobe!
Old 09-02-20, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Tights?
Nickers .. just to below the knee..
Old 09-03-20, 03:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

cheers,

Lorne
Embrocation cream if you find wearing warmers to be restricting flex.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...w-about-embro/

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-03-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 10:56 AM
barakah

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In my neck of the woods the mornings have gotten a bit on the chilly side and yesterday my knees were bothering me after my morning commute. Any suggestions? My favorite LBS has no leg or knee warmers in my size, L or XL... Lots of stuff for the smaller rider but not for the bigger guys... The knees were bothering me enough that I may not want to ride in the mornings until I can find some knee warmers. It isn't a fit issue as nothing was wrong before the temps lowered in the am...

thanks gang...
warm gear will definitely help, elevating your legs before and after rides will help you for circulation for sure; I also ice my knees & back very important if your clocking lots of mileage.

Sugar and salt add more inflammation on joints just saying.
Old 09-09-20, 03:55 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I picked up a couple pairs of cheap Baleaf running tights that I wear over either summer-weight cycle shorts or cycle tights.

They were truly wonderful last winter and early spring; true, one could just protect the knees, but before I got them I had a ride where I ended up wearing my zip-up warmth layer as a sort of skirt to keep the wind off something else, and the extra tights layer accomplishes that, too.

Plus having an extra layer of fabric compression seems to help with saddle-area duration tolernace, too.

And the best part is if you wear them over legit cycliing stuff you can remove them - eg, my return ride on an early March overnight where I decided mid-morning it had warmed up enough, sat down on the end of a Delware camelback bridge, off came the shoes, off came the tights, shoes went back on, tights stuffed in with gear and off I rode in summer rather than winter mode.
Old 09-11-20, 06:17 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
A pair of loose fitting long pants from a discount store. Tuck the legs into your socks.