Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear gear shifting problems.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 10:27 AM
Aroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all I hope I've put this in the right place.
I am having trouble with my rear derailleur/cassette. When in the smallest cog it takes 2/3 shifts to move up one cog. What is likely to be the issue? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-02-20, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Might just need the barrel adjuster turned to takes some slack out of the cable. Might be the cable slipped in the holdfast and doing what I first suggested will only be a temporary fix. Might be a housing end somewhere that isn't correctly in it's stop.

Did you mess with anything prior to this happening? More info about the bike and components will help. And if it's a new bike you got a few months ago....... take it back to the shop you bought it from. If it's only a simple adjustment, many will deal with it for free.
Old 09-02-20, 10:49 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
More info about the bike and components will help. .
With so little information about the bike, all answers will be guesses. Even knowing the make, model, and year of production would be useful
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-02-20, 11:03 AM
Aroo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
With so little information about the bike, all answers will be guesses. Even knowing the make, model, and year of production would be useful
Thanks for the quick reply guys. It's a specialized allez, think 2013 with Shimano rear derailleur (that's the only identifying details I can find).
I have tried the barrel adjuster, it did no good I'm afraid.
It's not an issue I'm desperate to get fixed, just wondered if it was a common issue that might be easily resolved.
Old 09-02-20, 11:12 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
If it was all working fine before the first and easiest step is to spray with wd-40 or similar.
Where the cable enter and leave the outers and the shifter internals.
You can disconnect the pinch bolt to isolate the fault. Hold the cable end and shift the shifter up and down see is it operating smoothly
Old 09-02-20, 11:21 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Aroo
I am having trouble with my rear derailleur/cassette. When in the smallest cog it takes 2/3 shifts to move up one cog. What is likely to be the issue? Any help is appreciated.
IF it shifts "normally" after those first couple shifts, it would indicate there is too much slack in the cable.

IF the shifter goes to the highest gear indicated, but the cassette is still a couple shifts short of the largest cog, that would reinforce the above.
There should be no slack in the cable when on the smallest cog/highest gear.

Did this problem suddenly occur or??

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-02-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I might not rule out that the cable is almost completely frayed up in the shifter. Though usually this shows up going from say 7th gear to 8, 9 and 10. It is Tiagra 10 speed rear?

If you aren't a DIY type and not wanting to get the knowledge, then check with a bike shop. Many won't be as expensive to look and fix this as you think. Some, like many auto shops will determine the issue and give you a free estimate before they do anything.
Old 09-02-20, 01:19 PM
Aroo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF it shifts "normally" after those first couple shifts, it would indicate there is too much slack in the cable.

IF the shifter goes to the highest gear indicated, but the cassette is still a couple shifts short of the largest cog, that would reinforce the above.
There should be no slack in the cable when on the smallest cog/highest gear.

Did this problem suddenly occur or??
What you describe is what is happening and it was my initial thought but there doesn't appear to be any slack in the cable.
The bike has been sitting in the back of a garage for a couple of years so couldn't tell you if it suddenly occurred or not, it's been like that since I took it out the garage a few days ago.
Old 09-02-20, 01:24 PM
Aroo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I might not rule out that the cable is almost completely frayed up in the shifter. Though usually this shows up going from say 7th gear to 8, 9 and 10. It is Tiagra 10 speed rear?

If you aren't a DIY type and not wanting to get the knowledge, then check with a bike shop. Many won't be as expensive to look and fix this as you think. Some, like many auto shops will determine the issue and give you a free estimate before they do anything.
Its only 8 speed. Cable seems in good enough condition. No visible fraying
Old 09-02-20, 01:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
What you describe is what is happening and it was my initial thought but there doesn't appear to be any slack in the cable.
The bike has been sitting in the back of a garage for a couple of years so couldn't tell you if it suddenly occurred or not, it's been like that since I took it out the garage a few days ago.
As a stop gap attempt try-
Turning barrel adjust CCW to "lengthen" the housing. That basically shortens the cable.
If it shifts 1 or 2 gears closer to where it should be, that's the path to pursue.

IF still some problems, I'd try dousing the shifter mech with WD-40 or similar to dissolve what may be hardened grease, preventing proper pawl engagement.

And make sure the housing ends are properly seated in the stops.
Old 09-02-20, 01:41 PM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Shift to smallest cog. Give shifter a couple more clicks to make sure shifter has released as much cable as its going to. Screw barrel adjuster in all the way and back out a half turn or so. Loosen cable clamp, pull on cable end with pliars, manually push derailleur body so it is a bit inboard from smallest cog, and with your third hand, while maintaining pull on cable end, tighten the cable clamp. Try shifting and adjust barrel adjuster to get smooth indexing.

if that fails, take it to LBS. Good luck.
Old 09-02-20, 01:53 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
sounds like a slack cable. Even when on the smallest sprocket, the RD cable should be tight. Otherwise, the first couple of clicks are simply taking up the slack before the RD starts to move. When the shifter is clicked down to the smallest sprocket (and the TD is on the smallest sprocket), how tight is the RD cable at the down tube (the longest “open” cable run)? If you push it at the mid point with your finger, it shouldn’t deflect more than a mm or two