Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Shimano Decore LX

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 06:43 AM
Gunner88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I have a old worn out Shimano Decor LX crank, 44, 32, 22 on a hollow BB.

Please can someone tell me what new crank I need to replace it with i.e. will the new Hollowtech II be OK?

Thanks
Pete
Old 09-04-20, 06:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,312 Posts
Generally it's best to duplicate the ring count and tooth sizes for a less involved replacement. What can change though is the BB axle size a different crank needs so assume it's replacement at the same time. As long as the tooth counts, the chain line and the BB size are all correct any type of arm/axle interface will work. Andy
Old 09-04-20, 07:02 AM
Gunner88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks will.have a look to see what size it is
Pete
Old 09-04-20, 08:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Have you looked at just replacing the worn chain rings?
Old 09-04-20, 08:54 AM
Gunner88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank's all.
I've managed to find a 32t chain ring to replace just the worn one. 👍
Old 09-04-20, 09:51 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
'Deore'...
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-04-20, 09:56 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Changing out only the chainrings is what makes sense here. But if you were to need to change out the entire crankset, ebay has new Shimano Deore LX cranksets for reasonable prices. That's where I found a Deore LX crankset when I swapped out the Suntour that came stock on my bike when I bought it. Now my entire drivetrain is LX. Lighter and smoother. Love it.
Old 09-04-20, 11:32 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
while you're changing chain rings, it's best to replace the chain, too. And take a look at your cassette. It's best practice to have chain ring replacement coincide with installing a new chain & cassette, but obviously, if those parts are relatively new then you should be fine with just the chain ring replacement.
Old 09-05-20, 04:37 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
while you're changing chain rings, it's best to replace the chain, too. And take a look at your cassette. It's best practice to have chain ring replacement coincide with installing a new chain & cassette, but obviously, if those parts are relatively new then you should be fine with just the chain ring replacement.
The problem with this statement, and I see it all the time here, is that most people don't care. I'm not picking on you, just the general attitude that everyone wants a perfect bike. When I work on other's bikes all they ever want is a quick fix that'll work, not an entire rebuild. The average person is happy if the wheels move when they press on the pedals, not that it was able to shift silently while riding uphill, in the rain, with a 50mph wind blowing in their face and covered in mud. To most people you replace a chain when it gets rusty, but an oiled chain is fine no matter what condition it is in.

Now maybe the regulars on the forum care, I care to some degree, but the average person just doesn't.
Old 09-05-20, 10:27 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
The problem with this statement, and I see it all the time here, is that most people don't care. I'm not picking on you, just the general attitude that everyone wants a perfect bike. When I work on other's bikes all they ever want is a quick fix that'll work, not an entire rebuild. The average person is happy if the wheels move when they press on the pedals, not that it was able to shift silently while riding uphill, in the rain, with a 50mph wind blowing in their face and covered in mud. To most people you replace a chain when it gets rusty, but an oiled chain is fine no matter what condition it is in.

Now maybe the regulars on the forum care, I care to some degree, but the average person just doesn't.

Well said