Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Truing questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Truing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 01:11 AM
Solo_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Truing questions

Hi all,

It's only my second time doing this but Ive just finished truing the wheel on a bike I have and it looks pretty good (side to side wobbling is very minimal now). I actually did this with the wheel mounted (tire on too) but I'm wondering if this is enough and if the results will hold up or do I need to do this with the wheel -and tire- off for better results. Do I really need to worry about a dishing tool and a spoke tension meter... ? It's not a fancy rim or nothing and the rim doesn't look off center. I'm very picky but I'm actually satisfied with the results but I'm wondering how you (those who are DIYs) do your truing.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-20, 05:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
I volunteer at a non-profit shop where we have truing stands, dishing tools, tension gauges. But depending on the bike and the wheel, I often just true quickly on the bike in the stand, using rim brake calipers as a guide. It might be a two-minute job. If the bike has disk brakes, I use the truing stand. If the wheel comes off the bike for any reason, I use the truing stand. If I need to do a lot of truing, the tire comes off and the rim strip/tape gets checked.
Old 09-04-20, 08:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If it's good enough to ride, just ride it!
Old 09-04-20, 08:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
You're fine. If all you're doing is minimal tweaking you're not going to change the dish at all; that requires significant adjustment of every spoke.

In fact, a case can be made that truing with the tire installed and inflated could work better, since the tire and inflated tube will affect spoke tensions.
Old 09-04-20, 09:33 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
A little wobble side to side isn't going to affect your ride much. That can be adjusted while on the bike, with care and a light touch. An inflated tire will not make much of a difference either. But an out-of-round (dished) wheel is something else and should be re-tensioned on a truing stand IMHO. And if you go to the trouble and expense of having a truing stand, get a tension meter too. It saves a lot of time and frustration.

The Old Peddler
Old 09-04-20, 10:18 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
You can't check for hop with the tire on, but probably not an issue if you didn't go crazy cranking on the nipples.
Dish & hop are entirely different things.
You can use a wire tie as a "pointer" to check dish.
Flip the wheel in the DO's and see if the "pointer" is the same distance from the rim in both orientations.
Old 09-04-20, 08:28 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
You don't need a dishing tool. Just flip the wheel over in the truing stand and see if the difference to the gauges changes.

You don't need a tension meter. But for a fun factor you can pluck the spokes and compare the pitch they produce, which really does show differences. Of course the DS spokes will produce a higher sounds than NDS spokes on a rear wheel. And the most important factor that helps with consistent spoke tension is proper stress relieving the wheel.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 09-05-20, 06:35 AM
Solo_rider

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK guys. I appreciate all the replies and the info. I was a little worried about this. I was actually selling the bike and wanted to make sure the buyer didn't have any problems with the wheels wobbling due to them being out of true. But now I feel more confident about the work I did. I think the side to side wobbling was almost 90% gone but it needed just a tiny bit of lateral truing but it wasn't really that bad. Yeah I know plucking is an option to listen to spoke tension but I'm the kinda guy who usually likes to do things by the book.
Anyway, I found a Youtube video on how to make a wheel dishing tool from a 2X4 piece of wood for a couple of bucks. I'm going to make one for me to keep.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 09-05-20, 09:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Another cheap dishing tool is a table, 3 soup or tuna cans & stack of coins.