Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gear inch question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gear inch question

Old 09-04-20, 07:41 AM
kombiguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Gear inch question

My bike currently has a 50-39-30 front ring set, ans an 11-36 sprocket set. Using those numbers, I get a gear inch low of 22.6
If I were to change to a 26 tooth low gear on the front, that would result in a gear inch of 18.1
Is that really a significant difference? Or perhaps my question might be rephrased as, how low a tooth count would I need on a front ring to make a significant difference?
Old 09-04-20, 08:09 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
At 26-36 I get gear inches of 19.5 if I did the calculation correctly. I get rollout of 61.26 inches at 26 versus 70.69 inches at 30.

Gear ratio is .72 at 26 versus .83 at 30. At a cadence of 80 I get a speed of 4.64mph at 26 versus 5.35mph at 30.

Somebody please check the calclations.

I don't know if that's significant or not. It's about a 13% reduction in gear ratio and gear inches.

Glenn
Old 09-04-20, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
gear ratio x wheel diameter in inches = gear inches.
Old 09-04-20, 09:53 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by kombiguy
My bike currently has a 50-39-30 front ring set, ans an 11-36 sprocket set. Using those numbers, I get a gear inch low of 22.6
If I were to change to a 26 tooth low gear on the front, that would result in a gear inch of 18.1
Is that really a significant difference? Or perhaps my question might be rephrased as, how low a tooth count would I need on a front ring to make a significant difference?
It’s a ratio of 13/15 or a reduction of 13.3%. About like one gear shift on a 7-speed cassette.

Otto
Old 09-04-20, 12:26 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
You can play with different gear combinations and see what kind of difference they make using this tool:

Bicycle Gear Calculator

That page will show you how each combination moves when you change chainrings. But it seems your question is more about how the different gear combinations will feel. I think a difference of 4 gear inches will feel significantly easier to pedal, but you might only need it for very steep climbs or for loaded climbing on long grades.

You're also going to have less redundancy in your gears if you only change the 30t to a 26t. On your current setup, your middle ring only has 3 gears above your small ring. If you reduce the size of your small ring, you will have 4 gears above your small ring when you are in the middle ring. That said, you have a lot of redundant gears already in your drivetrain. It probably makes sense to space out your chainrings more to get the most out of your cassette. I would consider a 24t small ring, a 36t middle ring, and keep the 50t big ring. Here's a link to what that would look like versus your current setup:

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Good luck!

Edit: I just realized my suggested setup require a derailleur capacity of 51. That might be hard to setup.

Last edited by BoraxKid; 09-04-20 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-04-20, 12:53 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One thing to remember is that each derailleur was designed to have a range of gears it will traverse. If you know the brand and model number of the derailleur you can usually find what that range is. It is the # of teeth on the large chainring minus the # of teeth on the small chainring. If you exceed this value with your new setup, the derailleur will not work correctly.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 09-04-20, 01:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
It's the same difference as dropping your highest gear, the 11 to a 13. Quite real. (Or moving your 36 rear up to a 42.) SO, yes, the 30 to 26 front IS significant.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-04-20, 01:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Not having a lot of redundancy is good unless you can ride in the 39t most of the time with the 50t on flats and downhill and 30t/26t for hard climbing.

With a triple redundancy isn’t that important to me as the middle is more all purpose and inner and outer only use part of the cassette. It depends on how much chainring shifting you like to do to find the optimum ratio.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-04-20, 02:27 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
13% is significant, and you will notice it!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 09-04-20, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Just keep the 30 ring and remove 4 teeth from it. That's how it works, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-04-20, 02:49 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just keep the 30 ring and remove 4 teeth from it. That's how it works, right?
No, that is not how that works at all. To make a difference in the gear size, you have to actually change the diameter of the chain ring, which will necessitate changing the number of teeth to maintain compatibility with the chain. Since chain links and chain ring teeth are pretty much standardized, most people simply refer to the chain rings by the number of teeth on them, and it is assumed that there are no missing teeth on the chain ring.

There some skip-tooth chain rings out there, as well as some non-standard chains and cogs, but generally speaking, chain ring teeth and chains conform to an expected standard size.
Old 09-04-20, 03:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
While @BoraxKid's suggestion might be physically impossible, it has merit as an idea.

As many others have said, yes, dropping to a 26 up front will be a noticeable change. I would call it a significant a opposed to an incremental change.

I agree with @70sSanO that redundancy is not a terrible thing, and in fact is inevitable in almost any multi-ring set-up unless a person designs specifically to eliminate at, beyond other considerations. The keys for me are useable ranges---progressions of gears on the cassette where I can ride without needing a front shift. Nothing is worse than being halfway up a tough climb and realizing you need to drop to the lowest ring---the momentum loss isn't fatal but it can be painful. Similarly I don't like to be riding rollers and constantly shifting between rings to get both good climbing and good descending speed.

Going to the smaller chain ring will be noticeable, and if you want, look at getting a smaller middle ring but do pay attention to derailleur capacity (which you can find online I am sure.)

Keep us posted.
Old 09-04-20, 03:17 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by Maelochs
While @BoraxKid's suggestion might be physically impossible, it has merit as an idea.
Well thank you, for that bit of recognition! I'm glad to see civility isn't lost on this board.

And not to be too pedantic, but my idea is only impossible with stock parts (the largest capacity rear derailleur I could find was 47t). I bet some bored engineer or mechanic could find a way to tease an extra 4t of capacity from a long-cage derailleur.
Old 09-04-20, 03:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Back to the original question: yes, it'll make a difference on steep hills (>12%, perhaps), or if you're touring with a load. In other words, if you run out of gears with the setup you've got, that change will give you about 1.5 extra low gears, and that's often significant.
Old 09-04-20, 03:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
So what is the problem that you are attempting to solve? Are you planning heavy haul touring? Climbing the Himalayas? Inquiring minds wants to know.
Old 09-04-20, 03:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Here’s what your gearing would look like with a 26 tooth cog. Assuming a 700 C wheel, you’d drop from a 23” low to a 20”. It might not seem like much but it is lower. If you can go to a 24 tooth inner, you would get a 18” gear.

This gear calculator is very powerful in that it allows you to easily compare two systems. You can even change the cassette between systems if you like. I’d suggest playing around with the calculator with other cranks. For example a 48/38/22 would give a very good low and it’s not that much different from what you have now. I doubt you’d have to do much to make the derailer work. I’m running a 46/36/20 crank on one of my bikes with a road front derailer. I don’t have any shifting issues.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-04-20, 04:59 PM
kombiguy

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
So what is the problem that you are attempting to solve? Are you planning heavy haul touring? Climbing the Himalayas? Inquiring minds wants to know.
Cycling from St. Augustine to LA via Birmingham, Branson, OKC, and Williams Az.
One fat guy on a Surly LHT, self sufficient camping mostly, with a once a week motel.

BTW, 62 years old.
Likes For kombiguy:
Old 09-04-20, 05:01 PM
kombiguy

The problem is that it appears to get that small ring on the Surly, I'd have to change the bottom bracket and cranks. It may have to wait until I'm done with my trip. Thanks to all who gave me the low down!
Old 09-04-20, 05:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
No, that is not how that works at all. To make a difference in the gear size, you have to actually change the diameter of the chain ring, which will necessitate changing the number of teeth to maintain compatibility with the chain. Since chain links and chain ring teeth are pretty much standardized, most people simply refer to the chain rings by the number of teeth on them, and it is assumed that there are no missing teeth on the chain ring.

There some skip-tooth chain rings out there, as well as some non-standard chains and cogs, but generally speaking, chain ring teeth and chains conform to an expected standard size.
Wooooshhhh!!
Old 09-04-20, 07:38 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Cycling from St. Augustine to LA via Birmingham, Branson, OKC, and Williams Az.
One fat guy on a Surly LHT, self sufficient camping mostly, with a once a week motel.

BTW, 62 years old.
You are going to want that 26 tooth chain ring around Birmingham and Branson. Very steep hills in those areas. 18 gear inches is what you want for all that weight. I can speak from experience. Good luck. The difference between 21 g.i. and 18 g.i. is significant.
Likes For boomhauer:
Old 09-05-20, 06:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-05-20, 06:38 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
How are you guys calculating gear inches without knowing the tire size?

Simple answer is ride your bike fully loaded. if you ever find yourself trying to shift into a lower gear that isn't there, than consider swapping out rings.
Old 09-05-20, 02:28 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
How are you guys calculating gear inches without knowing the tire size?

Simple answer is ride your bike fully loaded. if you ever find yourself trying to shift into a lower gear that isn't there, than consider swapping out rings.
By making some assumptions. A 50/39/30 crank isn’t usually found on mountain bikes so that means 700c tires. Touring is usually 32mm to 37mm. If you did the calculations with a 23mm tire, the gearing isn’t going to be radically different. The gear calculator makes it easy to change the wheel parameters.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-06-20, 09:20 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
And by my guess different people are making different assumptions leading to arguments about different numbers

Gear inches can be hard to translate into real world. One way around that is to keep an excel spreadsheet with all of your bikes in it. Most people know what gears they like to ride on each of their bikes and which ones they never use. When it comes time to upgrade gearing the spread sheet helps you select the best set of rings.
Old 09-06-20, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
And by my guess different people are making different assumptions leading to arguments about different numbers
It’s okay to make educated guesses. The size of the wheel has an impact but it easily fixed.

Arguments about gearing are also usually of the “no one needs gears that low” nature. I’m a firm believer in having the lowest gears I can engineer with the equipment I have. If that means modifying the crank or adding a derailer extender, I’m willing to go that far. I’ve never found myself saying “my gear is too low”.

Gear inches can be hard to translate into real world. One way around that is to keep an excel spreadsheet with all of your bikes in it. Most people know what gears they like to ride on each of their bikes and which ones they never use. When it comes time to upgrade gearing the spread sheet helps you select the best set of rings.
Most people don’t know what gear they ride in. I doubt most people know which cog number they are riding in most of the time, much less what the ratio is. I think of gearing and gear ranges a lot but while I’m riding I can’t tell you which specific gear I’m riding at any particular point. The closest I can get is along the lines of “big chainring and something in the middle of the cassette” because that’s what I use most of the time.

One of the things I do is to provide a link to gear-calculator.com whenever I post about gearing on here so that people can look at what their gearing is. If I made an incorrect assumption, it’s easily corrected in the calculator. But, honestly, I only use the gear-calculator for planning gearing. I don’t use it while I ride nor is there any need to do so.

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-06-20 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.