Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage yellow Peugeot racer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 03:35 PM
Creasy666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage yellow Peugeot racer

Hi there.

My grandad left me an old Peugeot racing bike and whilst I have ridden it the frame is too small to be comfortable.

I don't know much about it other than the frame and forks have Reynolds 531 stickers on them.

I've posted some photos in the gallery as this is my first post so can't add them here.

Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam
Old 09-05-20, 03:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 09-05-20, 03:51 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Creasy666
Hi there.

My grandad left me an old Peugeot racing bike and whilst I have ridden it the frame is too small to be comfortable.

I don't know much about it other than the frame and forks have Reynolds 531 stickers on them.

I've posted some photos in the gallery as this is my first post so can't add them here.

Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam
Is it a Peugeot Aravis or Peugeot Perthus or Peugeot Aneto...

I can tell you that the Reynolds 531 Professional tube set that the frame has a pedigree as do most 531 frames like the Competion. 531 Pro was drawn to have thinner walls than 531 Comp to make it lighter for professional racing.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-tubing-199581

Chainset, wheels and shifters aren't period with the frame.

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 09-05-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 07:33 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
That can be fixed up to be a really nice Peugeot. Haven’t seen another yellow one with a full chrome fork. It will be interesting to see if someone can pin down the model.

Regarding the quill seatpost, it is a pain to adjust but I don’t see it as a concern. This of course assumes the post already in it is a quill post that fits the bike.
Old 09-09-20, 10:12 AM
Creasy666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Have posted some more photos in the gallery.
Old 09-16-20, 12:28 PM
Creasy666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any rough idea on the value please?
Old 09-16-20, 03:38 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Where are you?
Location matters because in an area where people bike it'll sell faster than where they don't. Also cities price higher than small towns. Bigger market means local sale which is good because shipping is a hassle. EBay reaches a great audience but almost always means shipping and there are fees. A look at local Craigslist or Kijiiji or Facebook marketplace can help with rough numbers. Points for a clean bike and a thought out ad with good photos.
Likes For WGB:
Old 09-16-20, 06:37 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Looks like it may have a nice STI shift group on it but I can’t really tell. In my little part of the Northeast, a lot of the value is erased because of the amount of work needed and the small size. Looks like it needs cables, bar tape, maybe a chain and likely a complete overhaul. As a local sale in a small market like mine, I’ll put it around $250. Overhauled and ready to ride, I think $375 could be realistic.
Old 10-10-20, 08:10 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
There's a lot of upgrades that lower the value in my mind but not everyone would agree. It depends on the buyer of course so an estimate on value is tough on upgraded classics. I think the value is still pretty high though and wouldn't be surprised to see it go for north of $500.