Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

1999 to 2000? Trek 520 with STI 9 speed?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

1999 to 2000? Trek 520 with STI 9 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 03:31 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
I plan to ride a section of the Cabot trail in September with it. Aiming for North Mountain.Via Bike climb: The North Mountain, East Side, Cabot Trail is situated in Nova Scotia. The climb is ranked number 32 in Canada and number 5579 in the world. Starting from Ingonish, the North Mountain, East Side, Cabot Trail ascent is 5.48 km long. Over this distance, you climb 397 heightmeters. The average percentage thus is 7.2 %.
This is sort of my backyard. I have trucked out of the Atlantic Provinces for almost 30 years and cycled long before that. If you can postpone the trip until the end of Sept, the foliage is amazing.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I rode that west to east (clockwise) last summer in June. I pushed my bike up this hill. The sign was accurate, 4km at 13 percent grade. There was no way I could pedal up a 13 percent grade for that distance. Maybe I could have forty or fifty years ago, but not now when I am in my mid 60s. But it sounds like you plan to go from east to west so you would be going downhill where I went up. Make sure your brake pads are good. Koolstop Salmon pads would be a good choice.

The fog came in when I was near the top, I hope it is more scenic for you.

The north end of the Cabot Trail is somewhat of a food desert. But there was a Coop grocery store in Neils Harbour. Not on the main road, it is in town. I had it on my GPS, otherwise I would not have known it was there. Google it for accurate location.

North end of Cabot Trail, I stayed at:
Cheticamp Campground (national park)
HI Cabot Trail Hostel (limited hours, you might arrive and have to wait).
Hideaway Campground (private).
Ingonish Beach Campgroung (national park).

I ate a lot of fish and chips meals on that trip. Have a great time.
Nice photos,
brings back memories (some not so great LOL), I have been all over that area with my semi-truck. I hope to cycle the area at the end of Sept if get my new bike built.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 09-08-20 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-08-20, 04:13 AM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I plan to go up it and down it. I have a cabin about an hour away so I’ll drive to maybe Pleasant Bay Area and start there.
Old 09-08-20, 04:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
I plan to go up it and down it. I have a cabin about an hour away so I’ll drive to maybe Pleasant Bay Area and start there.
Ahhhhhh, so you are familiar with the area. Then you probably will know where the curves in the road are, where to find food, etc. And this means you would not carry a full load of camping gear on the bike. That road would have been much nicer with an unladen bike, both up and down.

The fish and chips at a restaurant a very short distance west of the hostel was very good.

Old 09-08-20, 07:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
driving any heavy truck in areas like this must be challenging.
This made me remember an old friend of mine describing riding the Cabot trail on his very lightly loaded road bike with tubulars, and how he was rather concerned about them overheating on a long downhill on the Cabot trail. Hadnt thought of his comments for years, and it very well could have been this hill.