Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 05:32 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
BG,
The manifold appears to be for a small block Chevy. If I remember correctly Ben owns a 58 'Vette and this may be for that. I'm sure Ben will tell us. Smiles, MH
PS. I love the bell in the "Mystery Box!
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-07-20, 05:34 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
what is this? A fuel injection unit? For?
Hi B.G.,
The fuel unit is for this car. I have had it for many years and had an identical one when I was much younger....not trying to relive my youth! This one just happened to be on the market at the right time.
Un-like my 56 Nomad, it has many battle scars from shopping carts and mismanaged doors, I do not care to do an exterior restoration because I know that I would never drive it....it is an all-original car.
Have a great L.D.!
Best, Ben
BTW, I wish you still had the Crono but must say one of my all-time favorites is the "speckled trout"

Have as great as we can make it....Labor Day!
Best, Ben

Mad Honk

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-08-20 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 05:46 PM
Glennr134

Bikes: 1968 Hercules 10spd. 1971 Raleigh Grand prix 12spd. Bridgstone 10spd, BSA 12 spd. 1872 Rudge high wheel 1987 Schwinn super sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
New to me 1987 Schwinn super sport. Cleaned and greased, new tubes and tires and on the road again.
Likes For Glennr134:
Old 09-07-20, 09:20 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Trying to finish this up for a friend for her birthday

Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-07-20, 09:43 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
A what the hell purchase. First time riding anything but a road bike. Not gonna see any rough terrain with me in the saddle, but gonna enjoy some trails for the first time.

Old 09-08-20, 10:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
More work on the Super Course. I couldn't find string to align the frame, so I used speaker wire. It doesn't straighten under tension as well, but I guess good enough is good enough. I took lots of measurements, and at a certain point, they converged, so that seems good enough. I had used RJ the Bike Guy's threaded rod method for spreading the rear of the frame, and that turned out to be a bad idea. The right side is much more flexible than the left side because of the dimple for the chainring. I used a 2x4 this time.

It was hard to get out the adjustable cup. There was a lot of corrosion. Trying to put in a clean cup, it was still too hard. I saw the threads were knackered. I brought the frame to the LBS, and the owner took care of me quickly, putting me ahead of the week-long queue. Thanks, Christian!

I lost half of my master link for my chain! Oy, I keep losing stuff. I tried to put in a 9-speed master link in the 8-speed chain, so I ordered a set of master links which arrived today in the mail.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-08-20, 11:14 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
does this already count as a C&V bike? I stripped the clear coat off my 2003 Jean Delatour Scott and painted it... not done yet fully but so far i'm happy

As it was some 15 years ago:

current state:

btw that frame is seriously light, 950g naked at 54cm

Old 09-08-20, 12:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
A week from now mrs non-fixie and I will be packing for a week of cycling in Italy. Originally planned to include the La Superba event, it will now be just eight days of touring in the Piedmont region. COVID-19 rules permitting, that is. We're keeping our fingers crossed there'll be no outbreak here or in Piedmont within the next week.

Anyway, I decided to take the Roy Thame, which needed a few things done. After modding it with brifters (which turned out to be a rather good decision) I took it for a weekend trip in spring and ruined the front fender by picking up a twig with the tire. I also noticed that the inner chain ring was a little too close to the chain stay for comfort. It rubbed. Less of a problem, but irritating nonetheless, the used Brooks B17 Titanium I'd mounted stained my shorts in a rather embarrassing fashion.

So today I added a 1 mm spacer behind the drive side BB cup, replaced the fenders and mounted another saddle.

The saddle is a non-branded, but very nice-looking example, with really thick leather I picked up a while back:

One advantage it has over a Brooks is that the fore-aft adjustability is a lot better with these straight rails:

I replaced the Club Specials with a set of Populars, which are a tad wider and hopefully work a little better with the Challenge Strada Bianca tires:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-09-20, 05:48 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Nice to have a comfortable place to work. I've given thought to putting a huge tv in my shop, but I's probably never get anything done.
Old 09-09-20, 11:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

My bike finally works right. I don't understand how I could have assembled the chain without a master link. I mean, I know how to do that very well, but why don't I remember it? I don't even think it's a good idea to do that anymore.

I put a master link in but then I had to take the chain off to take the frame to the LBS. Upon bringing it back home, I had lost half of the master link. Damn. I found another but it just would not fit on. Damn. So I bought some more, and they looked the same as the one that didn't fit. Well it did fit.

Aligning the frame and straightening the derailleur hanger made the gears work much better. Indexed shifting relies on good alignment.

Next I'll put on fenders, a dynamo headlight, and a rack.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-09-20, 02:04 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
All dressed up and nowhere to go

Yup, all the road trips are canceled for the year. The Fuji TS III I rehab'd last winter was all dressed up for those trips but..... Well, I've been enjoying it locally at least.

On a recent trip "around the block" I got back to the shop and noticed a rear brake pad dragging. I quickly found that the tension spring had broken so the tension spring on the other side was pulling the caliper - Dia Compe 960. I found that the tab on the spring that engages the hole in the stud mount was gone, broken off at the bend. Well as I did not know that I could not do it, I went down the spring a bit and bent a new tab. Not quite a 90deg bend though so less stress. It works just fine and does not seem to have changed the centering of the pads. Nice. Then....

As I did not know I could not do it, I searched my piles of "junk too small to throw away" and found a spring that was pretty close to the same diameter. I fussed and cut and struggled and was able to fabricate another spring to do the same job. Not pretty but functional. I've no intention of doing more unless I need them, beyond the spare I now have. If I had to make a living at this I would starve to death in a week. Next time I'm at the LBS I'll rummage in the Bygone Brakes Box to see the dimensions of a V brake return spring. I may try to fab another spring for these 960s from that. Worse that can happen is I just recycle the metal.

stock spring from front and spring I started with.

again, stock spring (R) and the one I made (L). Ugly but functional. Nice to have a back up. If one breaks then another will.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 09-09-20, 07:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Nothing C&V, but I found a 10sp chain on one of my 11sp bikes.
Old 09-11-20, 08:12 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Filed the lawyer lips off my '95 Trek 5500. VERY satisfying. Led to an early start of cocktail hour under the currently smoky skies of the Pacific Northwest.

Dean
Old 09-11-20, 09:34 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
The Pinarello fell off the fork mount on the roof rack on the way home from a ride. Thought it was tight enough. The rear wheel kept it attached to the Jeep. I think the only damage is the hanger and a slight bend in the rim. Will be working on that today.
Old 09-11-20, 09:45 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts

Riding high on the Ponderosa, the Novara got a new cassette bb that replaced a tired cup and cone.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-11-20, 09:56 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I cleaned and swapped out several cassettes for my bikes and my paramour's, plus the chains.
So, I accomplished nothing, had tons of fun and got very dirty once the gloves ripped.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-11-20, 10:19 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Super LeTour 12.2

Was set up as my foul weather single speed.
That honor went to a canti-Miyata hanging in the back ground.
so this is catching all my laying around parts. But I got no laying around wheels. So building wheels will be a fall project.
maybe a new Old stock headset for this too......
Old 09-11-20, 10:38 AM
Drk

Bikes: Old - Trek 970, Trek Pilot 5.0. New - Giant Explore 2.0 e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I decide to make a cruiser out of my old 970 for days we hang out at the local beach.

(Tried to upload pic, but still a few posts short.)
Old 09-11-20, 10:48 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51
Filed the lawyer lips off my '95 Trek 5500. VERY satisfying. Led to an early start of cocktail hour under the currently smoky skies of the Pacific Northwest.

Dean
You rebel.

Old 09-11-20, 10:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Dean51

Dean
That's pretty satisfying. I had to file them off my spouse's bike. They were so big that she had to take the nut entirely off the skewer to get it out of the fork. And she kept losing the nut. Once she was almost unable to ride because we couldn't find it. Somehow I found a generic 8mm nut and a washer as a stopgap. She won't be having that problem anymore.

Old 09-11-20, 10:59 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Prowler
Yup, all the road trips are canceled for the year. The Fuji TS III I rehab'd last winter was all dressed up for those trips but..... Well, I've been enjoying it locally at least.

On a recent trip "around the block" I got back to the shop and noticed a rear brake pad dragging. I quickly found that the tension spring had broken so the tension spring on the other side was pulling the caliper - Dia Compe 960. I found that the tab on the spring that engages the hole in the stud mount was gone, broken off at the bend. Well as I did not know that I could not do it, I went down the spring a bit and bent a new tab. Not quite a 90deg bend though so less stress. It works just fine and does not seem to have changed the centering of the pads. Nice. Then....

As I did not know I could not do it, I searched my piles of "junk too small to throw away" and found a spring that was pretty close to the same diameter. I fussed and cut and struggled and was able to fabricate another spring to do the same job. Not pretty but functional. I've no intention of doing more unless I need them, beyond the spare I now have. If I had to make a living at this I would starve to death in a week. Next time I'm at the LBS I'll rummage in the Bygone Brakes Box to see the dimensions of a V brake return spring. I may try to fab another spring for these 960s from that. Worse that can happen is I just recycle the metal.

stock spring from front and spring I started with.

again, stock spring (R) and the one I made (L). Ugly but functional. Nice to have a back up. If one breaks then another will.
Clever lad.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 09-11-20, 01:41 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I've been working on getting my husband to stop being scared of riding a road bike. I finally got him to take out my slightly too large for me Ironman and he came back, saying, "Wow, that's fast." Yes, it is...and I haven't even done the bearings yet.

Now that the Trek rebuild is done, we're moving on to getting a Miyata Country Runner ready for running the country roads. Cables and wheels acquired!
Old 09-11-20, 04:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I've been working on getting my husband to stop being scared of riding a road bike. I finally got him to take out my slightly too large for me Ironman and he came back, saying, "Wow, that's fast." Yes, it is...and I haven't even done the bearings yet.

Now that the Trek rebuild is done, we're moving on to getting a Miyata Country Runner ready for running the country roads. Cables and wheels acquired!
Ooo! That bike is the perfect choice for converting into a drop-bar gravel blaster! Don't give it to Mike, hehe. Keep it for yourself.
Old 09-11-20, 04:36 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Ooo! That bike is the perfect choice for converting into a drop-bar gravel blaster! Don't give it to Mike, hehe. Keep it for yourself.
The country runner? He’s decided that it’s his after driving all the way to the VT/Can border to pick it up. I’m outta luck on that. He even likes the funky 80s/90s purple and yellow paint.

I’d tell him to find another, but I think he’s worried about what house project I will start once he’s gone to pick it up.
Old 09-11-20, 07:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

Riding high on the Ponderosa...
You rode in all that pollution? I rode only to the usps and the grocery. Got a headache on the way home. Got home, closed all the windows, and took a nap.
Likes For SurferRosa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.