Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you buy used carbon parts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would you buy used carbon parts?

Old 09-09-20, 11:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
mstateglfr, I am simply attempting to provide an example of a seemingly intact carbon bar that was visually inspected was not intact, it was faulty after a crash, but showed zero signs of a problem existing. It may have happened 10 years ago, but that does not make it less relevant if it happened yesterday. The fact is that it happened. Sure, alum and steel fatigue, but in my experience they do not encounter catastrophic failure without warning signs the way carbon does.
My son's carbon stem broke off two weeks ago. Hopefully this is recent enough to be relevant. The bike was crashed 18 months ago, and just now the carbon steerer snapped off at the bottom of the stem. There were no visible signs of a problem, it exhibited absolutely no signs of a problem prior to breaking off.
Two months ago a customer brought a carbon bike in for work. Two months may make this less relevant, I suppose, but none the less important. Upon inspection I noticed the top tube was flexible just left of center, but was not flexible just right of center. Using a coin I tested for continuity of sound and compared it to the exact same model we had in the shop. Found out the frame had a hidden crack. I asked the customer what happened and he said that something fell on it in his garage a while ago, but he thought nothing of it. Fortunately it did not fail while riding, and that it was repairable. At some point it surely would have simply broke in two and the customer would have hit the deck.
Here's a relevant example, I hope. Two days ago a customer came in with a carbon mountain bike that had been involved in an encounter with a car. He asked that I look at the bike. Upon inspection the top tube had a fracture in it, but only showed up when I pushed down quite hard on it. Was not visible until I did that. Aluminum or steel would have shown a dent or crease at the failure point.
Got another one that is very relevant. Yesterday I replaced grips on a mountain bike that was from the 90's. Removed the barends (remember those?) and found the handlebar was creased where the barend was clamped. Turns out many years ago the rider hit a tree with the barend. A carbon bar would have cracked immediately or had a hidden fracture that would have failed in short order, and certainly would not go years without breaking off.
Do what you will, but I will never purchase any used carbon part or frame as I have seen enough examples over my 35+ years working in shops to convince me that carbon is great, but only when purchased new.
Food for further thought, this season I have encountered these 4 examples of a carbon part or frame failure, but not a single aluminum or steel part or frame failure, and there are certainly way more metal parts and frames out there than carbon.
Old 09-10-20, 08:43 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
That was a rather bold post.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-10-20, 08:46 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have purchased a used Carbon bike, it was the ride demo bike. I was able to fully inspect it and happened to work for the store selling it, so....
On that same note I would purchase used carbon accessories from a person that I knew well, perhaps rode with, along with a physical inspection of the part.
I would not order a used carbon part sight unseen.
Old 09-10-20, 09:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
  • Seatpost?
  • Bar?
  • Stem?
  • Etc.?

Would you buy a used one? Would you trust it not to be damaged (even though it might "look" fine)?
No---------unlike so many I am not impressed by carbon fiber.
Old 09-10-20, 09:50 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Assuming I was interested in buying a carbon fiber handlebar, stem or seatpost I would be OK buying used carbon parts from a reputable shop or source like Pro's Closet, where I know someone has inspected them. I wouldn't feel any differently about this than I would buying a carbon frame bike or wheels.

I wouldn't buy a used carbon bike or parts from an unknown seller on Craigslist. In addition to undisclosed damage, I'd be worried about fakes. I'm leery buying anything on Craigslist though, so maybe not a great example.

I always find the Bike Forum community to be more concerned about carbon fiber safety than my personal experiences. I know many people (not on this forum) who have bought, ridden and raced on used carbon stuff and have had no substantial issues. I personally have crashed bikes with carbon wheels and other parts and continued to ride them post-crash (in some cases for years), again with no issues. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but the likelihood of catastrophic carbon failures and/or hidden or undetected damage to those parts seems to be a bit overstated on the internet?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-10-20, 05:29 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
  • Seatpost?
  • Bar?
  • Stem?
  • Etc.?

Would you buy a used one? Would you trust it not to be damaged (even though it might "look" fine)?
In general, no. you have no idea what happened to carbon parts and delamination is generally invisible. But I have bought used CF parts and not had any trouble. Typically these parts are overbuilt to protect against voids in the manufacturing process so they are OK.
Old 09-10-20, 06:03 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Nope.

https://youtu.be/NQJUSZeJE8A

https://youtu.be/j-SFAB_zK-I

Though I'm a Clyde, so I wouldn't be buying new carbon either...

Last edited by stevel610; 09-10-20 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 06:17 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
  • Seatpost?
  • Bar?
  • Stem?
  • Etc.?

Would you buy these used in metal? You generally can’t tell by looking if an aluminum part is about to fail.
Old 09-11-20, 01:03 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Nope.
https://youtu.be/W0iMHkYpWFo

https://youtu.be/NQJUSZeJE8A

https://youtu.be/j-SFAB_zK-I

Though I'm a Clyde, so I wouldn't be buying new carbon either...
That cyclist that crashed should have known better. Who rides downhill at 45+ miles/hr on a pot-hole infested surface on carbon rims with rim brakes when you weigh 220 lbs? He was either dangerously clueless or grossly negligent.
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 09-11-20, 04:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1 off examples dont prove anything as examples can show used steel and aluminum components also failing. Aluminum rims failing, aluminum bars failing, steel frames cracking, steel forks cracking, seat post clamps failing, etc etc etc.
A 1 off example from your shop that happened a decade ago is what you are using to declare no carbon parts should be purchased used?
Sure any material can fail...but the potential for failure is far greater with carbon than with steel or aluminium, especially with used parts or bikes. It's not worth risking a catastrophic failure just to save few grams.
Old 09-12-20, 03:23 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Oops, apologies for the bold type in my previous post. Just happened kinda thing, but being bold is OK, isn't it?
Old 09-12-20, 04:27 AM
othompson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, well what ois happeing here.
Old 09-12-20, 06:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by othompson
Hi, well what ois happeing here.
Hi, you're new here. FYI, the proper phraseology is:
"Hi, what's this thread about?"
Old 09-12-20, 07:42 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I rode the Iron Porcupine 1,200k last month. 2 of the DNF's were due to carbon wheel failures, and two other riders needed to borrow replacement wheels due to carbon wheel failures. Considering there were only 34 riders, and at least half the riders were running more sensible 1200k wheelsets, that's a lot of failed carbon wheels in under 800 miles of riding.
Old 09-12-20, 10:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I rode the Iron Porcupine 1,200k last month. 2 of the DNF's were due to carbon wheel failures, and two other riders needed to borrow replacement wheels due to carbon wheel failures. Considering there were only 34 riders, and at least half the riders were running more sensible 1200k wheelsets, that's a lot of failed carbon wheels in under 800 miles of riding.
A good Carbon is bad thread will never die and usually results in ever threatening stories on the unreliability of carbon. To do a 1200 k ride there usually is a number of qualifying rides usually over years where people hone their fitness, systems and most importantly equipment. I have never seen that level of carbon wheel failures In any event much less a what should be a regular but long distance ride.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-12-20, 11:11 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I don't necessarily have anything against carbon velopig. but I was surprised by the failure rate on that ride, which I agree should have been nothing remarkable. I rode 25 year old peter white built box-section rims with campy cup and cone hubs that have unknown thousands of km's on them and will probably last forever, so that's how I roll.
Old 09-13-20, 08:17 AM
spookygeek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be hesitant to buying used Carbon parts but it would not always no. It would need to be something I could fully inspect ahead of use and would probably do some checks before a hard ride. Certainly would not be my first choice though.
Old 09-13-20, 08:28 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I wouldn't buy anything carbon even if brand new.
Hater...