Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Angry Virginia MUP rider

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Angry Virginia MUP rider

Old 09-09-20, 08:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
They make it sound like his bike was too big.
"In another, authorities said the cyclist got down off his bike and struck a man in the face who told him to slow down."

I'd be ornery too if I was riding a penny farthing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-09-20, 08:15 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-09-20, 03:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Did he wave?
Nothing in the article about waving but he sure was twerking.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-09-20, 05:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Missed his calling as a TdF sprinter
…..and found another calling as an " elite level asshat "
Old 09-09-20, 10:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Another good reason to wear bibs. You have to really think about flashing your cheeks at someone and put some effort into it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-10-20, 08:51 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
People on MUPs are out of hand. Between the no helmet, no mask, no idea of road rules (posted every half mile) set and those who think we're all just here for their amusement (looking at you, guy drafting me without saying a word), I feel like I can't / shouldn't use them on weekends. Just too much risk.

And on our MUP I've had a guy try to get physical with me (I called him an ******* for weaving in and out of traffic) only to discover that a) I'm stronger than he thought; b) my riding partner was the county DA; and c) his friends really didn't have his back.

Dude grabbed my bars at 18 mph.

I wouldn't say it's MUPs, really, it's more like any shared space - treating others as you would wish to be treated shouldn't be such a reach.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-10-20, 09:16 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
it's part of the Great COVID-Crazy going on.
my Local Bike Shop owner had a women throw her bike at him on a local (and busy) MTB trail. He was apparently trying to help a young rider (maybe his daughter, not sure) who had crashed. The Crazy Rider must have blown through the scene too fast (with a blue tooth speaker blasting!), and he likely gave her "what-for" as he is want to do. (There was another report of The Crazy Rider being un cautious the same day when caution was warranted.)
Some how or another the thing devolved into her chucking her bike at him.

This whole Great COVID-Crazy is providing some real FaceBooks Entertainment....
Old 09-10-20, 09:23 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
Not just Covid-crazy, but politics crazy.
Old 09-10-20, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
My experience on these trails is fairly minimal, but I don't find the pedestrians to be too bad. Especially in comparison to the cyclists, who are just horrible. Especially if you are traveling in the opposite direction to morning rush hour.

Here in the hinterlands, however, the mup foot traffic is unaware and unconcerned about being overtaken by bicycles. It can be a little annoying.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-10-20, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mrv
it's part of the Great COVID-Crazy going on.
my Local Bike Shop owner had a women throw her bike at him on a local (and busy) MTB trail. He was apparently trying to help a young rider (maybe his daughter, not sure) who had crashed. The Crazy Rider must have blown through the scene too fast (with a blue tooth speaker blasting!), and he likely gave her "what-for" as he is want to do. (There was another report of The Crazy Rider being un cautious the same day when caution was warranted.)
Some how or another the thing devolved into her chucking her bike at him.

Somebody throws their bike at you, it's now your bike, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-10-20, 11:53 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I gotta admit, the traffic on MUPs did increase SIGNIFICANTLY during the first few lockdown months of Covid. I named one of my strava rides as "Bristol Motor Speedway" since I felt I was in traffic for most of the ride.
But never got upset. Just "on your left", and slowed down when I could not pass safely, It was frustrating, but no mooning was done.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 09-10-20, 12:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Depends how fast you can ride away on it.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-10-20, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Depends how fast you can ride away on it.

Well, if I have to throw it back, it's not going to be in one piece.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-10-20, 02:19 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Isn't weed supposed to make you more mellow and less aggressive?
Old 09-10-20, 05:17 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
Isn't weed supposed to make you more mellow and less aggressive?
Apparently he was a dealer. The most successful dealers don't dip into their own stash.
Old 09-10-20, 05:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Guys like that usually have a long history of anger related crimes. Doubt it is limited to MUPS.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-11-20, 06:22 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
- i think i got a couple of Rockhoppers and a Peugeot that way.....
Likes For mrv:
Old 09-11-20, 06:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Reminds me of the joke:

A nerd rode up to his nerd friend on a bicycle, the friend said, "Where did you get that bike?"
The first nerd says, "I was walking along on the hiking trail, and this beautiful woman came riding by on this bike. She stopped, jumped off, stripped out of her clothes, lay down on the ground completely naked and said, 'Take whatever you want!'"
The second nerd said, "Good job choosing the bike, her clothes would have never fit you!"
Old 09-11-20, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Reminds me of the joke:

A nerd rode up to his nerd friend on a bicycle, the friend said, "Where did you get that bike?"
The first nerd says, "I was walking along on the hiking trail, and this beautiful woman came riding by on this bike. She stopped, jumped off, stripped out of her clothes, lay down on the ground completely naked and said, 'Take whatever you want!'"
The second nerd said, "Good job choosing the bike, her clothes would have never fit you!"

I'm going to pretend I'm not old enough to remember nerd jokes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-11-20, 11:49 AM
Danhedonia

Albuquerque has hundreds of miles of bike paths, and at least 150+ of clasicaly-configured MUP's just off the top of my head. There are areas within a mile or two of parking lot / trailheads where you'd be a real jerk to pass families out for a walk without (at a minimum) being prepared to slow down, but by and large people here are well behaved and 'get it.'

Unfortunately, as unterhausen notes, the bad actors are inevitably cyclists. What annoys me is that they are ignoring very well-posted use rules. Rules that 98% of us follow without harming our enjoyment.

The most popular MUP parallels the Rio Grande on a levee. One of the worst local actors are the cops, who drive their pickup trucks at 25mph on the gravel path beside the MUP, kicking up rocks and dust at people. The other classic bad actors are three different group rides that I see all the time, doing 16mph "pacelines" on $7k bikes, ignoring all the rules of the road and they cannot even steer with accuracy. Sadly, I must confess that these groups are all "of a certain age" and I am in that bracket. It makes me wince to see these people ride with no regard for others' safety, apparently because they have money and feel good about themselves.

I mean, how hard is it to read a sign and take it to heart? I guess these folks feel so special, they think rules are other, less important and less wonderful people.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-11-20, 01:07 PM
HeyPapa

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm going to pretend I'm not old enough to remember nerd jokes.
I am 66 and never knew there was a subset of humor known as nerd jokes. Seems a whole new world awaits me.
Old 09-11-20, 05:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
People on MUPs are out of hand. Between the no helmet, no mask, no idea of road rules (posted every half mile) set and those who think we're all just here for their amusement (looking at you, guy drafting me without saying a word), I feel like I can't / shouldn't use them on weekends. Just too much risk.

And on our MUP I've had a guy try to get physical with me (I called him an ******* for weaving in and out of traffic) only to discover that a) I'm stronger than he thought; b) my riding partner was the county DA; and c) his friends really didn't have his back.

Dude grabbed my bars at 18 mph.

I wouldn't say it's MUPs, really, it's more like any shared space - treating others as you would wish to be treated shouldn't be such a reach.
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Albuquerque has hundreds of miles of bike paths, and at least 150+ of clasicaly-configured MUP's just off the top of my head. There are areas within a mile or two of parking lot / trailheads where you'd be a real jerk to pass families out for a walk without (at a minimum) being prepared to slow down, but by and large people here are well behaved and 'get it.'

Unfortunately, as unterhausen notes, the bad actors are inevitably cyclists. What annoys me is that they are ignoring very well-posted use rules. Rules that 98% of us follow without harming our enjoyment.

The most popular MUP parallels the Rio Grande on a levee. One of the worst local actors are the cops, who drive their pickup trucks at 25mph on the gravel path beside the MUP, kicking up rocks and dust at people. The other classic bad actors are three different group rides that I see all the time, doing 16mph "pacelines" on $7k bikes, ignoring all the rules of the road and they cannot even steer with accuracy. Sadly, I must confess that these groups are all "of a certain age" and I am in that bracket. It makes me wince to see these people ride with no regard for others' safety, apparently because they have money and feel good about themselves.

I mean, how hard is it to read a sign and take it to heart? I guess these folks feel so special, they think rules are other, less important and less wonderful people.
So, the dudes causing problems are riding 2 MPH slower than you were riding when the other dude grabbed your bars? Maybe he didn’t like people riding faster than the paceline types. Either way, that’s some elite MUP riding.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-11-20, 05:46 PM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
He's been quite the talk of the trail around here. I'm in nearby Alexandria VA and my wife's co-worker was accosted by this dude - she wasn't physically touched, but flashed her his weiner.

The felony weed charge was an unexpected twist, aye? Perhaps that might be related to his bizarre behavior?
Old 09-11-20, 11:53 PM
Danhedonia

MattTheHat Straw man much? Apparently you have a sore spot - do you also physically attack riders you dislike?
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-12-20, 03:52 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
They have since caught and charged the idiot cyclist causing problems on the W&OD trail - here.

I'm glad I have different color bar tape and disc brakes on my black Trek Domane...

Likes For jpescatore:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.