Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Old 09-11-20, 09:19 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
Well I'm going to have to get a LOT of moral victory out of my stage win on the VG side today because I looked at the instantly scored Tissot league and in the stage rankings I'm flip flopping around in the bottom of the fish well with another flip flop rider.

I need to go back to work now and not even pretend I know what the heck is going on in the Great Big Bike Game(s).
Old 09-11-20, 10:23 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
TJ got dropped from an acceleration by Alaphillipe in the opening km's, seems like it was quite the race! Can't wait to watch highlights.

Whata fantastic day for EF!! Martinez with the stage win, Rigo into fourth and EF regains the teams classification!
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-11-20, 11:37 AM
GrainBrain

How about a little drama? I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this...

(Egan Bernal after stage 13)
"I looked at my numbers from today's stage and they were almost my best ever. The rest simply went faster. We have to see what will happen in the coming days.
"That's the second time I've heard a rider say they were equal to or out-performing previous Tours. Those Slovenians are next-leveling it somehow."
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-11-20, 04:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
How about a little drama? I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this...
Gearing? Timing of effort? Watts/kg don't always equate to faster.

That quote sums up everything I have despised about Sky/Ineos since the Wiggins/Froome miracle. Slavery to the power meter.
Old 09-11-20, 05:12 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
I have never been a fan of the Ineos train and am glad to see they're actually human. Rooting for J-V to keep up their train until the end.
Old 09-12-20, 01:27 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
a definite bummer to see both bardet and mollema gone with both being potential top ten gc riders. buchmann's way down the charts and valverde's headed that way.
the gc picture is getting very defined at the end of week two, can anyone photobomb their way back into contention? guillaume martin? richie? mas has been really
steady but must be a subscriber to the mollema method of making zero noise and showing up for work every day. waiting for mas to have a day out so to speak.
ef has been fun to watch and nice to see them have success.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-12-20 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 01:52 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

stage fourteen...seems pretty similar to stage twelve so invoking the horrible predilection...er wrong forum site...prediction of infamous post #152 re: the classics mafia...+ hirschi
especially with stage fifteen looming large for the gc big boys. thinking they would be content to sit in and be protected. lots of wiggles and giggles in the first half of the stage along
with janet's what have you done for me lately basically guarantees a breakaway. would love a sagan w and hallucinatory/hash cake thoughts of invoking rule 87 but oh yeah gimm(i)e wout ftw
or i'm gonna fade a ways down the standings. hard knox and durty sox.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-12-20 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 05:38 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I was down with the idea of Sagan getting pipped by WVA even before I read it in from the Hunter Oracle. I am still floored by his call on Martinez.

A lot of uncertainty to come for anyone not Slovenian.

I, too, am sad to see Mollema and Bardet out. Was hoping that France would get a little joy from Martin, but he's off the pace, too. Quite a surprise with Bernal. I don't think he's down for the count but I'll stick with my earlier prediction that losing some on that day sealed him out from the top step of the podium. Which, since I'm calling, sort of guarantees a jour sans for Roglic and a resurgence by Bernal. Damn, this is like one of those Star Trek time travel conundrums. I'll just have to watch the race and see where the dark matter lands next.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-12-20, 06:10 AM
diphthong

theoretically...bora could draw back the green jersey for sagan on this stage if they go hardski...we'll wait and watch.
Old 09-12-20, 06:15 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by slcbob
I was down with the idea of Sagan getting pipped by WVA even before I read it in from the Hunter Oracle. I am still floored by his call on Martinez.

A lot of uncertainty to come for anyone not Slovenian.

I, too, am sad to see Mollema and Bardet out. Was hoping that France would get a little joy from Martin, but he's off the pace, too. Quite a surprise with Bernal. I don't think he's down for the count but I'll stick with my earlier prediction that losing some on that day sealed him out from the top step of the podium. Which, since I'm calling, sort of guarantees a jour sans for Roglic and a resurgence by Bernal. Damn, this is like one of those Star Trek time travel conundrums. I'll just have to watch the race and see where the dark matter lands next.
lightning in a bottle. you have experienced it once or twice. myself? maybe a half share here and there. truly magical when and where it occurs.
Old 09-12-20, 10:58 AM
GrainBrain

I figured out for North America you can use NBC's peacock service to watch the tour albeit with Aussie's narrating, and I get a free week trial, how convenient! Just in time for today's stage, Sagan is not going quietly.

DQ tried to bring Bennett back but got no help from others, visible frustration from Declercq towards other teams as they sat up in the feed zone.

Awesome win for Andersen, great timing!

Hoping for a good showing by Uran for tomorrow, and will keep an eye on Porte surging up.
Old 09-12-20, 11:04 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Gearing? Timing of effort? Watts/kg don't always equate to faster.

That quote sums up everything I have despised about Sky/Ineos since the Wiggins/Froome miracle. Slavery to the power meter.
Originally Posted by 2cam16
I have never been a fan of the Ineos train and am glad to see they're actually human. Rooting for J-V to keep up their train until the end.
Yes totally agree! I apologise for maybe bringing in this unspoken conjecture. I watched Tadej on the white jersey presentation stage after today's stage 14 finish, he looked super tired! Roglic as well was commenting on the hard racing today. So, so much climbing left.
Old 09-12-20, 12:59 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yes totally agree! I apologise for maybe bringing in this unspoken conjecture. I watched Tadej on the white jersey presentation stage after today's stage 14 finish, he looked super tired! Roglic as well was commenting on the hard racing today. So, so much climbing left.
tomorrow ain’t no toodle in the park.
Old 09-12-20, 03:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
stage fourteen...seems pretty similar to stage twelve so invoking the horrible predilection......
And with this said, Stage 15 seems pretty similar to stage 13.

Bora will mount full-on assault until the sprint point - breakaway unlikely to succeed before then.
More gaps. Expect the primary GC contenders to stare at each other until the final climb.

Pogacar and Roglic likely looked tired because of the chaos of the final 10 kilometers of the stage. Anyone in the GC hunt who didn't lose time today spent a lot of energy avoiding being gapped.
Old 09-12-20, 04:09 PM
2cam16

I still can't figure out BH's strategy. It was similar to 12. They left Sagan towards the end. No support and he could have earned even more precious points. Is the team grooming the younger riders towards a more GC style for the future? I'm lost.
Old 09-12-20, 06:39 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I still can't figure out BH's strategy. It was similar to 12. They left Sagan towards the end. No support and he could have earned even more precious points. Is the team grooming the younger riders towards a more GC style for the future? I'm lost.
Peter's ego rules. They had a plan, but Sunweb messed it up.

They have a team full of heroes, but with very spent legs.
Old 09-12-20, 07:35 PM
GrainBrain

Stage 15 - Dan Martin? He stated today that his back was better...?
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-13-20, 01:36 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

It looks flat so Bennett should pocket whatever points the break doesn't take. Bora needs a rest. Several stages next week look better for Sagn v Bennett. I expect to see Sagan try to get away but not to see Bora drag the peloton along in 15. Will Bora agree?

I'd love to see some of the lower placed GC riders take a flyer near the top of the Col de la Biche and torch the last decent to try to influence their fate.

If it stays a long grind with a late gunfight with Slovenia vs. Colombia & Co., I give it to Slovenia and the break.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-13-20, 02:47 AM
diphthong

taking alaphilippe ftw stage fifteen. thinking he might try to coerce a stronger rider or three (down the leaderboard and on teams not defending a higher gc placing such as:
vuillermoz, hirschi, gaudu, roche, pinot, reichenbach, madouas, cherel, sicard or dan martin...pick any combo of 1-3 riders) to have a go and to help with those flattish 10 kms before
the last, hc ascent. groupama-fdj and ag2r haven't done much but have some solid climbers. thinking alaphilippe will likely bomb the decently technical descents after the cat 1 climbs to try to gain a little
time/separation and guessing team jv would be more than happy to let him. we've got a rest day after this stage but a few more fun-filled climbing stages for numbers 16, 17 and 18.
Old 09-13-20, 04:55 AM
diphthong

still up...again, for the start of the stage (15). i really need to get my assets to bed. the tdf always messes up my sleeping habits something fierce.
Old 09-13-20, 08:58 AM
2cam16

Bye-bye,Ineos! Can't even hang! Bernal has 0 support from his boys. Dropped,dropped,dropped!
Old 09-13-20, 09:35 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bye-bye,Ineos! Can't even hang! Bernal has 0 support from his boys. Dropped,dropped,dropped!
Crash and burn, baby! (been waiting for this since Wiggo's 100% unbelieveable performance). Nothing against Bernal or Thomas mind you, but maybe Brailsford will finally lose some of his insufferable arrogance.
Old 09-13-20, 10:07 AM
GrainBrain

Good grief Bernal finished with Wout van aert! Over 7 minutes down!!?? Quintana cracked. Porte looked really great.

Higuita oh no! No no no!! I almost threw up when I saw how hard he smacked the road The tour can be cruel when your focus is not ahead.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-13-20, 01:54 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
ooga-booga ...any way in hell Sagan can come back and take the green? Line up the Bora train for the two sprint stages remaining and try to steamroll to the end!?! Only option?
Old 09-13-20, 02:43 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I can see them trying for sprint points on stages 16, 17 and 19, and vying for wins on 19 and 21. It looks unlikely to me, but I'm still hoping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.