Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 05:24 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I really want to do this ride sometime. I am self employed and Mondays are usually hectic and I go in super early. So after riding and then driving back to Santa Paula in L.A. traffic it is a bit much. I thought this past weekend would’ve been perfect with my customers closed on Monday , but when I saw the forecast I knew it wouldnt fly for me. Then with the smoke....
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-08-20, 08:34 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Hopefully when things get better all around, we’ll see you at a future ride.

Everyone, Snap some pics of potential bikes you would ride with us at future Velo-Retro rides.
Cool. yes, I am in Venice, so....hop skip and a jump. I haven't seen any Bridgestones yet...well, when I have 10 posts I'll upload a photo.
Old 09-08-20, 09:05 PM
dunkleosteus
on the wheels of steel

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Looks like a fun ride! I'll join some time! I think the PCC flea market is the same day of the month (though it's not happening right now because of the pandemic). Seems like a great combination. You may see me riding with an old gramophone or similar strapped to my back!
Likes For dunkleosteus:
Old 09-08-20, 09:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I really want to do this ride sometime. I am self employed and Mondays are usually hectic and I go in super early. So after riding and then driving back to Santa Paula in L.A. traffic it is a bit much. I thought this past weekend would’ve been perfect with my customers closed on Monday , but when I saw the forecast I knew it wouldnt fly for me. Then with the smoke....
the 101 on Saturday was not killer Save Calabasas but 110 through most of the Valley... will ignore Woodland Hills... scary.
Sunday found me in Ventura in the AM
took the coast back South, So, so much cooler.

trouble for the ride is 1hr+ each way in addition to the ride... gobbles up a big chunk of a Sunday.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-09-20, 05:40 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by repechage
the 101 on Saturday was not killer Save Calabasas but 110 through most of the Valley... will ignore Woodland Hills... scary.
Sunday found me in Ventura in the AM
took the coast back South, So, so much cooler.

trouble for the ride is 1hr+ each way in addition to the ride... gobbles up a big chunk of a Sunday.
Yea, I have had not so bad traffic and really bad traffic . It seems random but most times coming home from down south in the afternoon is brutal. My Sunday, sometimes my only day off to spend with my wife, would be done. I ride most every Sunday and I am in Santa Paula so somewhat rural riding . It gives me mental floss( quoting Jimmy Buffet) and good physical exercise. I really enjoy riding with other classics at a reasonable pace . That is why this ride will happen at some point with me. I like Bartly(mech986) , I met him at an Eroica a few years back and would love to ride with him and the other folks. If I knew he was going , I would certainly bring my ItalVega , otherwise it would be my Medici. Perhaps at some future date I could meet others in Southern California.
Old 09-09-20, 05:53 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by scarlson
I had a problem like that once! If there is indeed a crack there (and there might not be), the framebuilder probably just didn't fill the lug all the way. The tubes will be likely fine underneath. Easily fixed, just grind the cracked lug away with an angle grinder and build a fillet in its place. Rustoleum over it and nobody will know.

Nice job on that fix. I am not sure the braze is strong enough for every day riding especially on less than perfect roads. The head tube seems to be a place that sees a lot of stress. My friend had a 1987 Schwinn Circuit that he had crashed head on with a car. The only visual evidence of the wreck was a "taco" front wheel which he replaced. He rode that bike almost every day for a year or so after the crash(and a new set of wheels!) . Then one day he was cruising up State street and he felt what he thought was a flat tire. It turned out that the head tube had a spiral break through the tube which could have been disaster to the rider under different circumstances. There is a lot of force on these frames. Joe
Old 09-09-20, 07:58 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Nice job on that fix. I am not sure the braze is strong enough for every day riding especially on less than perfect roads. The head tube seems to be a place that sees a lot of stress. My friend had a 1987 Schwinn Circuit that he had crashed head on with a car. The only visual evidence of the wreck was a "taco" front wheel which he replaced. He rode that bike almost every day for a year or so after the crash(and a new set of wheels!) . Then one day he was cruising up State street and he felt what he thought was a flat tire. It turned out that the head tube had a spiral break through the tube which could have been disaster to the rider under different circumstances. There is a lot of force on these frames. Joe
This one felt like a flat tire too. If there are cracks in the tubes, for sure it's a different story. A failure in *just the lug* because the lug wasn't filled completely when the frame was built, often leaves the tubes intact. One must inspect the tubes carefully. As long as there aren't any cracks in the tubes themselves, this is just the same thing as a fillet brazed frame now. I am commuting on this daily with heavy loads, through Somerville and Cambridge, which are famous for potholes (one old German said it was worse than postwar Berlin). The frame has been fine for a year now. I will let you know if it breaks.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-09-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 11:09 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I just love this! I wish there was interest in c & v here in north ga.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-09-20, 12:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I just love this! I wish there was interest in c & v here in north ga.
It only takes 1 to start the movement...well maybe 2 ...so find a friend and start inviting others to join in on the fun....Facebook cycling group?
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-11-20, 11:57 PM
klasse

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
yeah you will recognize my ride as it's a 62cm RB-1. seen here with my sister's 54.5cm on Solvang Century years ago.
Likes For klasse:
Old 09-13-20, 05:17 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Evacuations ordered near our Velo-Retro Route.

If you are familiar with our route, we ride northward on Second Street in Arcadia east of Santa Anita Blvd. We pass under the 210 near Huntington Blvd. then Foothill Blvd, then north to a left turn westward at E. sycamore, over the Santa Anita Wash and turn right northward on Highland Oaks for about 3/4 mile climb, left on Virginia, then right on Oakwood to Sierra Madre Blvd. There’s a quick stop for traffic at Santa Anita Ave. which runs up the mountain northward.

Evacuation orders have been issued for Sierra Madre and North Arcadia residents East of Santa Anita and North of Elkins which is just 3 streets north of Sierra Madre and Santa Anita, our most north-northeast part of the route. It’s a very nice, quiet set of residential streets nestled on the mountain slope. The Bobcat Fire has spread southwesterly and Fire officials are setting a defensive line at the upper Santa Anita Wash and northern Monrovia.

Please keep all these residents in mind as the fire threatens their neighborhood.
Old 09-13-20, 10:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Evacuations ordered near our Velo-Retro Route.

If you are familiar with our route, we ride northward on Second Street in Arcadia east of Santa Anita Blvd. We pass under the 210 near Huntington Blvd. then Foothill Blvd, then north to a left turn westward at E. sycamore, over the Santa Anita Wash and turn right northward on Highland Oaks for about 3/4 mile climb, left on Virginia, then right on Oakwood to Sierra Madre Blvd. There’s a quick stop for traffic at Santa Anita Ave. which runs up the mountain northward.

Evacuation orders have been issued for Sierra Madre and North Arcadia residents East of Santa Anita and North of Elkins which is just 3 streets north of Sierra Madre and Santa Anita, our most north-northeast part of the route. It’s a very nice, quiet set of residential streets nestled on the mountain slope. The Bobcat Fire has spread southwesterly and Fire officials are setting a defensive line at the upper Santa Anita Wash and northern Monrovia.

Please keep all these residents in mind as the fire threatens their neighborhood.
Yikes. Vintage bicycles are pretty low on the priority list right now. Prayers for the firefighters and best wishes for all.

FWIW: I spent the weekend riding in the Astoria, Oregon area. It started a little smoky/foggy, but the smoke has been blown inland. The sky was turning blue when I left.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-13-20, 10:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Yikes. Vintage bicycles are pretty low on the priority list right now. Prayers for the firefighters and best wishes for all.

FWIW: I spent the weekend riding in the Astoria, Oregon area. It started a little smoky/foggy, but the smoke has been blown inland. The sky was turning blue when I left.
Hopeful that those blue skies blow this way soon.
Old 09-14-20, 01:16 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hopeful that those blue skies blow this way soon.
Looks like the PNW will be cleared out by the end of today, fingers crossed...

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=24
Old 09-14-20, 01:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Looks like the PNW will be cleared out by the end of today, fingers crossed...

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=24
Seaside and Cannon Beach hotels are pretty booked right now for those wanting to get away from the smoke. Both are reporting very good air quality right now. If I didn't have 3 cats and 2 dogs I would have considered it myself. I just checked hotels.com, their site says 92% of the hotels there are fully booked.
Old 09-14-20, 10:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by gugie
Seaside and Cannon Beach hotels are pretty booked right now for those wanting to get away from the smoke. Both are reporting very good air quality right now. If I didn't have 3 cats and 2 dogs I would have considered it myself. I just checked hotels.com, their site says 92% of the hotels there are fully booked.
Could be filled with refugees.

AQI in Vancouver right now is 528: Hazardous. Phoo yuk.

Old 12-30-20, 09:23 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Rose Bowl ride this Sunday. See You there.
Old 12-30-20, 09:41 PM
Kabuki12

Probably not a good plan at this time. Maybe in a few months.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-30-20, 10:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by Manny66
Rose Bowl ride this Sunday. See You there.
Coulda-woulda... if flying anywhere right now was a good idea. Maybe next year.

Old 12-30-20, 10:33 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Probably not a good plan at this time. Maybe in a few months.

Its been going on for many months now without issue. If You are uncomfortable, feel free to not attend.
Old 12-31-20, 08:39 AM
Kabuki12

^^ Just stating the obvious
Old 01-03-21, 06:11 PM
Manny66 

First Rose Bowl ride of the year. We had a Masi, A Cinelli, a Trek , a Bianchi ,a Windsor and a originaly purchased in 1978 Centurion that my buddy Frank brought along for his first Vintage ride.
Erin rode her Carbon Specialized , but all bicycles are welcome to come along for the ride. The Bean Town Cafe is boarded up and still under construction as a Patron thought it was a Drive Thru Cafe and accidentally drove her car into the seating area.

The weather was perfect and the ride was enjoyable.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-03-21, 06:14 PM
Manny66 

The Bikes.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-03-21, 06:47 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Thanks for the coverage, Manny, but I bought my Centurion Super LeMans on December 26, 1975, so it’s a little older yet.

Weather was perfect, people were friendly, ride was fun but not too challenging, even on a 45-year-old bike. And the pizza was excellent. I brought walking shoes in case that old rear tire blew out, but it held on fine (the front got subbed out for my spare Tarmac wheel after the original blew up while sitting in the garage). Looking forward to next month (and new tires).
Likes For giffenf:
Old 01-03-21, 07:27 PM
Sestese

Bikes: 1984 Olmo Professionisti, 1986 Benotto 1500, 1984 Bianchi Limited, 1971 Bottecchia Professional, 1987 Guerciotti Sprint Alan, Torpado Gran Premio, 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1968 Chiorda, 1987 Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, 1991 Torelli Express, 1974 Gios.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for the photos Manny! Great day and great ride👍 see you all next month.
Likes For Sestese:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.