Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame selection

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon frame selection

Old 09-16-20, 11:55 AM
mehmetg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon frame selection

I am looking for carbon frame recommendations for under $2k. I have found cinelli ones, but I know nothing about the brand.
Is there a thread/forum for recommendations?

I know about the Chinese unbranded frames, but would like to see if I can find something with better QC and warranty before I take the leap.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-20, 01:09 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by mehmetg
I am looking for carbon frame recommendations for under $2k. I have found cinelli ones, but I know nothing about the brand.

I know about the Chinese unbranded frames, but would like to see if I can find something with better QC and warranty before I take the leap.

Thanks.
I personally believe that most Cinelli carbon frames are just Chinese frames with a Cinelli sticker, for what that's worth. Also, in the case of Cinelli-USA, their customer service is terrible and you are basically buying a bike with zero back up - exactly as you would if you purchased a Chinese unbranded frame, but with a snarky and rude attitude.

With that said, the big difference between a unbranded Chinese frame and a Cinelli is you can but a Cinelli frame from a bike shop and I have a feeling, you will be treated much better.

For example, this is a good bike for the price:

https://mybikeshop.com/products/2020...k-diamond.html

I actually have a Superstar Disc in white that I built with a Campagnolo H11/ Chorus groupset. With carbon wheels I am at 7.4 kg, which is not bad. It is a nice bike that has a smooth comfortable ride but can go really fast when you want to push it.

Cobolt bikes is having a great blow out sale right now. I would look at those as well.

https://cobaltbike.com/shop/ols/products

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-16-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 01:24 PM
mehmetg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Most Cinelli carbon frames are just Chinese frames with a Cinelli sticker. Their customer service is terrible and you are basically buying a bike with zero back up - exactly as you would if you purchased a Chinese unbranded frame.

With that said, the big difference is you can but a Cinelli frame from a bike shop and I have a feeling, you will be treated much better.

For example, this is a good bike for the price:

I actually have a Superstar Disc in white that I built with a Campagnolo H11/ Chorus groupset. With carbon wheels I am at 7.4 kg, which is not bad. It is a nice bike that has a smooth comfortable ride but can go really fast when you want to push it.

Cobolt bikes is having a great blow out sale right now. I would look at those.
Thank you for the insight. I want to build this bike myself, so I may go the Chinese frame route and save enough for a real frame if and when it breaks. I'd rather have a cheap unsupported frame than an expensive one.
Old 09-16-20, 01:29 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Thank you for the insight. I want to build this bike myself, so I may go the Chinese frame route and save enough for a real frame if and when it breaks. I'd rather have a cheap unsupported frame than an expensive one.
The only thing I would add is that Cobolt has frames for <$1000 right now that have lifetime warranties and good specs.

They have a cyclocross/gravel bike for $900 that would make a killer do everything bike.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-16-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 01:35 PM
mehmetg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That gives me a lot to think about... I found a local shop selling a Canondale on a close out... That may be cheaper than one I would build myself. Decisions, decisions, ...
Old 09-16-20, 01:40 PM
vespasianus

That gives me a lot to think about... I found a local shop selling a Canondale on a close out... That may be cheaper than one I would build myself. Decisions, decisions, ...
I hear you. With my Cinelli, I originally thought I would just put on a cheap 105 disc groupset but got the urge to go up at every step. In the end, I would have been much better off buying a complete bike with an Ultegra Di2 groupset and calling it a day.

If you can get a complete bike at good price, I would do it.
Old 09-16-20, 02:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Prices are a bit high right now but watch theproscloset. I got my frame there when the prices were not crazy and I got I felt like a great deal on a new carbon frame. I got an Argon 18 NIB frame just an old model for super cheap.

I can't to speak to this maker or that maker but I would certainly buy a frame with a reputable makers name on it. Just my opinion of course.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 09-17-20, 08:56 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Prices are a bit high right now but watch theproscloset. I got my frame there when the prices were not crazy and I got I felt like a great deal on a new carbon frame. I got an Argon 18 NIB frame just an old model for super cheap.

I can't to speak to this maker or that maker but I would certainly buy a frame with a reputable makers name on it. Just my opinion of course.
I would also add that for some places, where you buy it is as important.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-17-20, 10:33 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
caution: pay peanuts, work with monkeys.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 09-17-20, 11:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
a complete bike is almost always less expensive the building your own piece by piece. FWIW

Old 09-17-20, 12:49 PM
mehmetg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is indeed. I did the math, even with a chinese unbranded frame a Di2 setup costs well over 3k when you include all the shipping and other little but not cheap hardware and the delays.
Too bad, I really would have enjoyed the work.
I ended up with a 2020 Synapse Carbon Ultegra Di2 from a closeout sale.
It's feels and rides great and comes with free tuneups. It's not exactly the color I wanted, but I guess I should look at it less and ride more.
Likes For mehmetg:
Old 09-17-20, 02:39 PM
vespasianus

It is indeed. I did the math, even with a chinese unbranded frame a Di2 setup costs well over 3k when you include all the shipping and other little but not cheap hardware and the delays.
Too bad, I really would have enjoyed the work.
I ended up with a 2020 Synapse Carbon Ultegra Di2 from a closeout sale.
It's feels and rides great and comes with free tuneups. It's not exactly the color I wanted, but I guess I should look at it less and ride more.
Sounds like a great conclusion to this thread! Enjoy!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-17-20, 05:35 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Cheap Chinese stuff can be mad bang for buck, but it's more or less dicey.

If you want to avoid all diceyness and be sure you've got world-class quality for a good price, just go with the biggest company - Giant is cycling's Toyota.
Old 09-18-20, 11:24 AM
mehmetg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Replacing crank arms on Canondale Si crankset

I have been looking online but was unable to find a place to get the crank arms only. The full set is a bit too expensive and unnecessary for me.
The OEM installled one is 172.5 and I would like to replace them with 165...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-20, 11:35 AM
vespasianus

I have been looking online but was unable to find a place to get the crank arms only. The full set is a bit too expensive and unnecessary for me.
The OEM installled one is 172.5 and I would like to replace them with 165...

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Finding 165 cranks are hard. Might be best to ask the shop to see if they can special order them.
Old 09-18-20, 01:14 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Thanks.
Here is a Chinese bike that you can rely on. Most of the problems with Chinese bikes is quality control, this manufacturer has good QC. https://www.yoeleobike.com/road/frames.html
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 09-18-20, 01:23 PM
mehmetg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Finding 165 cranks are hard. Might be best to ask the shop to see if they can special order them.
There are plenty out there from people who got sensor embedded cranks, just not the pair.
Too bad Canonndale is not selling parts to individuals. I'll inquire and check other sites.