Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Klean Kanteen quick durability question (and options for solving)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 06:31 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts

Just a quick question about Klean Kanteen bottles.

We have 4 40oz Klean Kanteen bottles for out oncoming tour. They fit fine in my frame but my GF's Trek 520 is so small that when both bottles are in their cages they are touching each other the the down tube bottle isn't at the end of the cage so it's resting against the other bottle.

My question is: Is this a problem? I understood the Klean Kanteen bottles are quite sturdy, but in this instance there would be a constant sharpish point of alternating pressure on the other bottle side. Being that the bottle is 40z it'll weight almost 1400grams which could possibly dent the other bottle.

I could make some sort of cushioning, but it's unlikely it'll stay put especially in harder riding.

I could possibly use a Salsa Anything Cage for the other bottle so that I could mount it higher so there would be no contact whatsoever but I don't know if any of our LBS's sell them.
Old 05-17-16, 07:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OBP not sold in Suomi?
Old 05-17-16, 08:25 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I would contact Trek or your dealer. If I understand you correctly, the bottom edges of the water bottles are contacting when using standard water bottle cages and the factory braze ons? Sounds like a design error. It happens sometimes. Perhaps Trek can recommend a cage that is lower profile and/or locates the water bottles up a bit higher.
Old 05-17-16, 08:37 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In all my years of using them, I've broken one. I was using it to hammer in a tent peg. Don't do that and you'll probably be fine.
Old 05-17-16, 08:56 AM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have kleen kanteens and they get annoying because they clank around while you are riding. Your touching bottles might drive you crazy after a while

For mine, the bottle cages have been wrapped in inner tubes in a way that stops the clanking

They are durable. The paint on the outside will chip, but I've dropped mine on cement and they just get dents
Old 05-17-16, 08:58 AM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For 40oz bottles here are some options:

All About Oversized, XL and Anything Bottle Cages - CyclingAbout CyclingAbout
Old 05-17-16, 09:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Decades ago before water bottle braze on fittings on frames were common, water bottle cages came with straps to hold them on the frame tubes. But the design of those straps makes them only work with some cages.
VO Bottle Cage Clamp - Water Bottles & Cages - Accessories

Hose clamps would look uglier, but would function just as well and might be cheaper.

I wanted to add a bottle cage (for my tools and spare tube) under the down tube on teh bike I built up this past winter. See photo.

But you certainly could use them to mount a bottle cage above the down tube in a different spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1121.jpg (100.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-17-16, 09:35 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

I think I get it, these must be non standard oversize cages. I would think of a different arrangement. Different bottles, different cages, third cage, whatever. While I doubt the Kleen Kanteens are going to break, there's a danger they could fly out of the cages if not fully engaged. Besides that, the klanking sound would totally drive me nuts.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Decades ago before water bottle braze on fittings on frames were common, water bottle cages came with straps to hold them on the frame tubes. But the design of those straps makes them only work with some cages.
VO Bottle Cage Clamp - Water Bottles & Cages - Accessories
I'm still using them...
Old 05-17-16, 10:28 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
Those single walled Klean Kanteen bottles are pretty tough even if dented. Perhaps keep the weld seam turned away from making contact with the other bottle.
The bottom edge of my seat-tube mounted 40 oz KK bottle touches my down-tube even with my Blackburn Outpost bottle cage mounted as high as possible on the seat-tube.
Old 05-17-16, 12:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Water bottle cage placement is always an issue on small frame bikes. This is my wife's 47 cm bike. When I was having the frame built, I worked with the builder to optimize water bottle size and placement. We also made adjustments to the down tube cage bosses so they would not interfere with the front derailleur. I was putting a mountain bike crankset on the bike, which required the front derailleur to be placed pretty low. We had these issues on her other bikes, and knew how we wanted to set this one up. I know this is not an option, but I do empathize with the problems of small frames. Our daughters ride 50 cm and 42 cm bikes.

Is there a reason you are carrying 80 oz. of liquid on your bikes?

I would think about using regular water bottles and cages on your GF's bike. Or maybe one KK and one regular bottle. These "Clean Bottles" are great for long tours. Both the top and bottom of the bottle come off, which make cleaning a lot easier. While 2 of these bottles are only a little more than half the capacity of 2, 40oz. KKs, we also each carry a Platypus collapsible 2 liter bladder (1.3 oz.) in case we need extra water. We have a lot of capacity, but it does not take up much weight or space until we need it. I also carry 3 bottles on tour where extra water might be necessary.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-17-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:29 PM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by Doug64
Water bottle cage placement is always an issue on small frame bikes. This is my wife's 47 cm bike. When I was having the frame built, I worked with the builder to optimize water bottle size and placement. We also made adjustments to the down tube cage bosses so they would not interfere with the front derailleur. I was putting a mountain bike crankset on the bike, which required the rear derailleur to be placed pretty low. We had these issues on her other bikes, and knew how we wanted to set this one up.

Is there a reason you are carrying 80 oz. of liquid on your bikes?

I would think about using regular water bottles and cages on your GF's bike. These "Clean Bottles" are great for long tours. Both the top and bottom of the bottle come off which make cleaning a lot easier. While 2 of these bottles are only a little more than half capacity of 2 KKs, we also each carry a Platypus collapsible 2 liter bladder (1.3 oz.) in case we need extra water. We have a lot of capacity, but it does not take up much weight or space until we need it.
80oz won't run out even on hotter days. Steel bottles won't leak flavor (or other nasty stuff)
Old 05-17-16, 12:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a strip of aluminum 1/8"Thk x 3/4" wide, and drilling some (4) bolt holes and threading them,

will give you a way to Mount your water-bottle cage

at a different height than the factory installed Bosses allow.

+ twofish.biz makes their velcro and rubber block mounted cages to fit Larger volume Kleen Canteen Bottles

https://twofish.biz/attach-a-water-bo...ted-quick-cage.

And Bladder bags in your panniers and a smaller bottles handy can combine to make Nevada Crossings hydrated.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-17-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 02:04 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will this help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=rU8v3Zf8s68

Also, see the third photo down...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=380260&v=Qw
Old 05-17-16, 02:31 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
a strip of aluminum 1/8"Thk x 3/4" wide, and drilling some (4) bolt holes and threading them,

will give you a way to Mount your water-bottle cage

at a different height than the factory installed Bosses allow.

+ twofish.biz makes their velcro and rubber block mounted cages to fit Larger volume Kleen Canteen Bottles

Twofish Vinyl-Coated Quick Cages - Twofish Unlimited.

And Bladder bags in your panniers and a smaller bottles handy can combine to make Nevada Crossings hydrated.
Yeah, should be easy enough to rig an adapter with a strip of 6061 aluminum, if you're set on making dual 40oz bottles work.

Two standard large bike bottles and a flexible bladder bag or two is IMO the more sensible way to go. BITD we used to carry a couple Bota bags for that.
Old 05-17-16, 07:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
If you can destroy a Klean Kanteen in normal wear and tear go for it. I abuse my bottle and it has tons of dents, scrapes, scratches and battle scars but no sign of giving up. However they are heavy and I wouldn't really want to tour with them even with the sport caps.

I would rather stick with my Camelbak Podium Chills or Ice bottles. Being able to just squeeze water into your mouth without your mouth touching the bottle is great and helps keep the funk out of your water. Plus at least with the insulated bottles they don't hold onto flavor at all so your water tastes a lot better. I don't get the plastic taste like with some bottles.

If you are dead set on KK then maybe wrap the bottoms (and maybe cage points) in duct tape or gorilla tape or similar high durability tape and hopefully that will help.
Old 05-18-16, 06:06 AM
elcruxio

Thanks for all your suggestions. I haven't had time to reply properly until now as travel arragements and final planning is taking a lot of time.

I decided to buy a cage that fits the bottle and attatches with velcro straps so that I can mount it anywhere I like, even on the top tube. IF I had not found said cage I would have used the aluminum stock method.

The more detailed reasons why we wanted to go with KK was
1) water capacity
I know we could have used the bladder method and we've used it successfully in the past. However due to weight distribution concerns and accessibility of water we wanted our water to be mounted on the frame as we're touring summer Europe and we'll be using a lot of water.

2) taste
As funny as it may sound, I used to get dehydrated quite easily when using plastic bottles because I could not stand the taste those things impart on the water especially if the water has time to warm up. As well as all kinds of leaching issues, which is especially nice when the leaching water container is going to be the only water container one uses for several months (this would not be an issue in usual day to day cycling, probably wouldn't be anyways, but I don't like the idea)

3) we could have used Nalgene bottles which impart no taste, but you can desinfect water in the KK's by heating the bottle. Unlike other metal bottles the KK can stand heating and you can boil water in them (althoug the manufacturer does not recommend it). A non issue in Europe but I want to use said bottles for northern bikepacking/hiking as well where drinking swamp water may sometimes become a necessity. And the bottles are steel and as we all know, steel is real

4) The clanking issue has not risen but as mentioned, it's quite easy to fix by using a bit of duct tape (or in our case gorilla tape)

5) option to carry beer/wine/other alcoholic beverages

6) wide mouth works like a beer pint which is a huge bonus

etc etc.

But again, Thank you all for your suggestions. I finally have this last kink solved (well, honestly there's still the issue of keeping my insulin pens and Glucagon cool on hot days, but maybe I'll have time to figure that out still...)
Old 05-18-16, 09:54 AM
Salamandrine 

Sounds like you have it under control.

FYI in case you ever want to use normal size bottles: I've been using the Soma polypropylene water bottles lately. I also hate bottles that taste like plastic. These don't taste like anything, and are pretty much the same as Nalgene, but you can squeeze them.
Crystal Polypropylene Water Bottle | SOMA Fabrications
Old 05-18-16, 11:10 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
3) Unlike other metal bottles the KK can stand heating and you can boil water in them
That's exactly the reason I carry them. I take my 40 oz KK bottle whether on the bike or backpacking.
Here, in this pic the KK bottle is sitting on the stove. I sometimes use it to keep me warm during the night. I slip the hot bottle into an old wool sock and sleep with it.

Old 05-19-16, 07:25 AM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

Though I would throw this item out there as it has so many uses, from mounting water bottle to making fork locks.

Google Search Minoura Clamp they do several different types and you can find them on Amazon

Gadgets

Old 05-19-16, 08:55 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
80oz won't run out even on hotter days. Steel bottles won't leak flavor (or other nasty stuff)
I drank 6 liters on Tuesday's ride.
Old 05-19-16, 08:57 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I decided to buy a cage that fits the bottle and attatches with velcro straps so that I can mount it anywhere I like, even on the top tube. IF I had not found said cage I would have used the aluminum stock method.

No no no! The velcro cages are not strong enough for 40oz of water! Beware!!!!

Use the pipe clamp and cage method, or email Ron at King Cage and get a Manything Cage with Universal Bolts. It's a refined pipe clamp cage with capacity for a huge bottle.
Old 05-19-16, 11:25 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by mdilthey
No no no! The velcro cages are not strong enough for 40oz of water! Beware!!!!

Use the pipe clamp and cage method, or email Ron at King Cage and get a Manything Cage with Universal Bolts. It's a refined pipe clamp cage with capacity for a huge bottle.
Welp, you're right, they weren't. I used a ton of zipties instead. Those should not fail.