Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

horses on mountain bike trails

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 09:35 PM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone here ride horses as well as bikes?. I'm going to see what both sides of the story turn into here.

From a biker,s viewpoint one might say that horses are not fair or safe on some trails that are bike trails as well.

Horses also don't pick up after themselves and they are bigger and scarier than a bike.

From a horse rider,s viewpoint a biker is often going faster than a horse and is more destructive to the environment.

A biker is a very scary thing to a horse and is the cause of many accidents.

A biker would more often than not also start up trouble than a equestrian.

A bike can be replaced but not a horse. That one,s true.

The conflicts with horses and bikers is becoming a very serious issue and there are many trails being closed because of it.

I'm not with one side or the other and I too ride horses sometimes, although not on trails.

How many have run into problems from either perspective?
Old 12-05-16, 09:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
horses on what exactly? or is this bias?
Old 12-06-16, 07:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pa...ackRiding.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Yield-Rhombus.gif (5.0 KB, 252 views)
Old 12-06-16, 08:05 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
In Michigan I've NEVER seen trails designated as horse/bike shared. When a trail is designated, it's either bikers/hikers OR horses/hikers.
If I were to see a horse on a designated MTB trail, I'd completely stop, get off the bike, talk casually so the horse can see/hear me. Maybe scold the rider, calmly, for being a blooming idiot for not obeying the trail signs.

On dirt roads, I do the same, less the scolding for being an idiot. Even if the horse rider says I can ride my bike past their horse, I don't. I'll walk it or wait. And I'll be nice.
From my bike seat, horses or too unpredictable and I have no idea if the horse rider is experienced or a newbie or what.

full disclosure: It is possible I might, maybe have ridden my bike on a designated horse trail / bridle path ~ way after sun down and off-horse season. Maybe. Possibly. Not saying it DID happen. just maybe.... possibly.

cheers!
Old 12-06-16, 12:08 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
sometimes i ride past equestrians on my commute home. if i can safely i move toward centerline of road so as not to ride by too closely i do, but that is not always possible. but i suspect these urban horses are comfortable around lots of traffic and cyclists.
Old 12-06-16, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by TreyWestgate
The conflicts with horses and bikers is becoming a very serious issue and there are many trails being closed because of it.

Examples with links?
Old 12-06-16, 12:18 PM
KZBrian

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Fort Custer

Fort Custer has some of the best singletrack anywhere. Before 2011, some of the trails were shared between bikes and horses. I never saw a horse on the trails but saw deep hoofprints in the dried mud, and got a poopy water bottle more than once. In 2011 they separated the trails. That resolved the problems.
Old 12-06-16, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Mom rides horses. I don't as frequently, but I'd be more likely found on a horse than a MTB.

Most horse/bike interactions are fine, and as described above. Both stop. One or the other pulls off the trail and they pass.

The problems occur when the occasional clown decides to ride their bike faster than they can react to trail conditions (horse, hiker, dog, deer, bear, rock in trail, biker coming uphill, etc).

Around here, some trails are closed to bikes. Some trails are closed to horses. But, the great majority that are open to bikes are also open to horses.

It is good to point out that horses can be unpredictable. They are big strong animals. Millions of years of instinct leads to fleeing scary stuff. Those horses that have been around a lot of bikes don't care. But you never know if you will encounter a "green horse" or "green rider" (minimal training) that will respond unpredictably.
Old 12-06-16, 12:53 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I used to have a dog that thought all other dogs were a threat and would trigger her 'fight or flight (usually fight). That was my fault, not the other dogs. I couldn't go to dog parks or walk on busy paths where other dogs might be because she would start a fight. She was a big dog and could have potentially hurt a smaller dog.

If people have large dangerous animals that they can't control in the presence of certain other things, they should do their best to avoid those things, including not taking their animal to places where such things are likely to be.
Old 12-06-16, 01:16 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
I have ridden both on my local trails in the Rockies. Steep trails used by commercial outfitters can become seriously eroded, to the point where you feel like you're in a bobsled run.

One of the local A-list trails used by both mountain bikers and outfitters became a source of conflict. The backcountry camp sites used by the bikers were basically taken over by the outfitters. They erected structures on public lands and soon the surrounding grassy areas were filled up with horse crap and infested with nasty horse flies. Bikers complained; as always, the outfitters were better organized, they made some campaign contributions, and soon the trails were made off-limits to bikes.
Old 12-06-16, 03:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
recently found this old thread. looks like horses aren't necessarily spooked by bikes
https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/...-trail-nh.html
Old 12-06-16, 03:31 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In the UK, bridlepaths (name makes it obvious) were opened to bike riders by Act of Parliament in 1968. I believe that, legally, cyclists give way to horses and horses to walkers. Rows between horses and cyclists a pretty rare.

When I've taken youngsters off-road, I explain that horses can be easily spooked by bikes because they're silent, so give the horses (and their riders) no warning. We just slow down, call out "Cyclists coming" and I've yet to have any problem. Occasionally the surface has been a bit 'ammered by 'orses' 'ooves but never had any real difficulties.
Old 12-06-16, 03:57 PM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See equestrians all the time on trails here.

I stop, dismount & say 'Hi' early on (so the horse doesn't spook), then go on my way.
Sometimes the riders hear me approaching (all my bikes have bells) & they take the initiative to ride off trail & wave me through.

I don't like that they often go out after a rain & trash the trails more than 100 bikes could hope to do, but at least I do my part & stay off trails when it's inappropriate.

All trail users are welcome, unless posted differently.
Old 12-06-16, 04:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If people have large dangerous animals that they can't control in the presence of certain other things, they should do their best to avoid those things, including not taking their animal to places where such things are likely to be.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
recently found this old thread. looks like horses aren't necessarily spooked by bikes
https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/...-trail-nh.html
Horses can be spooked by anything including a large rock beside the trail.

The best horses are those that get lots of experience.

It is like dogs.. one gets used to rural dogs barking at bikes and chasing them.
Then one finds an older urban dog... that is completely unphased by anything in their surroundings.

The more experience a horse gets (with a good rider), the better it will be. Unfortunately for the cyclist barrelling down the trail at 30 MPH... it is hard to tell which one has until it is too late.

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have ridden both on my local trails in the Rockies. Steep trails used by commercial outfitters can become seriously eroded, to the point where you feel like you're in a bobsled run.

One of the local A-list trails used by both mountain bikers and outfitters became a source of conflict. The backcountry camp sites used by the bikers were basically taken over by the outfitters. They erected structures on public lands and soon the surrounding grassy areas were filled up with horse crap and infested with nasty horse flies. Bikers complained; as always, the outfitters were better organized, they made some campaign contributions, and soon the trails were made off-limits to bikes.
Those that make a mess out of campsites should be ostracised. Maybe a little wear.. but no trashy stuff.

I've been on a couple of trail crews, including one that had both bike and horse participants. People do tend to worry about things that affect their mode of transport a bit. But, it is good to actually get bikers and horseback riders together. Hikers too?
Old 12-06-16, 04:58 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A member of our bike club was severely injured by a horse while on a road century ride (put on by another club). One of the rest stops was by the side of the road and apparently not far from an equestrian trail crossing. As she was leaving the stop a horse rider lost control and knocked her off her bike. The horse then reared up and one of its hooves came down on her leg. The horse rider blamed the club that sponsored the century ride and the cyclist had to sue him to get compensation for her medical expenses.
Old 12-06-16, 07:49 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We encounter horse and riders many times when mountain biking but that has never caused a problem for either side.
When we catch a group of horses, we announce ourselves and wait for permission to pass, then do so slow and easy.
Old 12-06-16, 08:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
From a horse rider,s viewpoint a biker is often going faster than a horse and is more destructive to the environment.
Are you really claiming a 200 pound rider and bicycle cause more damage than a 2,000+ horse and rider?

Have you never been to a stock yard show/sale?

If riders are going to take horses on shared trails, it is their duty to properly train the horse.
Old 12-06-16, 09:08 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Does anyone here ride horses as well as bikes?. I'm going to see what both sides of the story turn into here.
I do. Purchased my first horse in 1976 to ride in the wagon train going across the US in the bicentennial (final destination Valley Forge, PA). Competed since my early 20's (now 63) in Eventing, dressage, and most recently Endurance (since 2001) which is a 50 miles (75, or 100 miles) distance race in one day. Recreationally do carriage driving (pair of Welsh ponies) and also former foxhunter for 40 years with my colors. Also whipped in for a hunt for many years. As far as cycling goes, been doing that since I was a kid, and never really quit. Recently rediscovered the fun of riding a bike in regional rides, and noticed how much it improved my leg strength for riding Endurance. An enjoyable win-win. Current tally now: 3 Welsh ponies (driving), 1 Morab (endurance horse), 1 road bike, 1 vintage hybrid.

From a biker,s viewpoint one might say that horses are not fair or safe on some trails that are bike trails as well.
Why not? I never felt that way. Coming upon someone riding a horse while I was on my bike I always stopped, chatted, and politely gave way. Takes only a few seconds, then I'm on my way again.

Horses also don't pick up after themselves and they are bigger and scarier than a bike.
No mammal outside of a human picks up after themselves, so don't see the concern here. You're in the outdoors, on a trail. Poop happens. Manure also degrades VERY quickly. Just drive your bike around the fresh road apples, and right through the aged. Won't kill you.
Can't quite understand your "scarier than a bike" comment. Scarier to whom?

Bikes often do go downhill faster than a horse, but not uphill. My Morab could beat your bike's butt five ways to Sunday going uphill, and not even break a sweat. What I have noticed is cyclists tend to be in their own little world mentally, and often not even aware of what is going on around them. Happens to me all the time. I call it my "cycling mind". Just me, the wind in my ears, my legs pushing my pedals, and my wheels turning beneath me. Daydream heaven. However, when I'm in my saddle on a horse I am almost hyperaware of where I am, what's in motion around me, and what I hear, smell, and see every second of the ride. I absolutely do not daydream, at all. My horse, on the other hand, will gets into her "cycling mind" and not be paying attention to much beyond 3 feet in front of her nose. That's where horses spooking comes from - the sudden intrusion of outside life that is unexpected. Which brings us to the next comment below....

A biker is a very scary thing to a horse and is the cause of many accidents.
A fast moving, approaching bike (from any angle) can startle a horse, even the most solid ones. But frankly any fast moving entity, including other horses, will elicit the same startle response. Good trail horses are used to strange things along the trail - so it is the green, young horses that can be more of an issue. A good rider will go out of their way to introduce a horse to cyclists. Since the horse has the second best memory of any land mammal next to the elephant, a good, friendly encounter with a cyclist goes a long way towards developing a horse capable of being very blase with later encounters, often to the point of not even caring as a cyclist goes by. Pretty much of a BTDT. Which is why anyone on a bike needs to be proactive in slowing down, asking if passing the horse will be ok, and generally being courteous. Slow bikes rarely bother a horse, and generally get no response when the rider includes friendly conversation. Horse hears the cyclist's voice, says to itself "oh, that's a human" and high interest switches down to low/disinterest.

A biker would more often than not also start up trouble than a equestrian.
Can't speak to that because I've never met a mountain biker or cross county motorcyclist who wasn't friendly, unfailingly polite, or quick to stop/turn off their engine upon meeting me riding a horse on a mountain trail.

Horses can be replaced, just not as easily. They just tend to be expensive in the long haul, you have training time and cost in them unlike a bike, and injuries cost more to fix than buying a ruined bike part. I'd rather crash my bike than crash my horse.

I guess that depends upon where you are, and if you are on public or private lands.

I'm not with one side or the other and I too ride horses sometimes, although not on trails.

How many have run into problems from either perspective?
I ride/train myself and my horse on trails (flatlands and mountains) all the time, drive my carriages on the roads, and never once have I run into a problem with a cyclist enjoying the same venue. I think it's absolutely cool that they do. I cycle mostly on the roads, and never once have I ever run into a problem with an equestrian. Probably because I live in both worlds, I know what to do, how to "read" an oncoming horse and rider, and love to meet and chat with new people.

Now, if you wanted to hear some real horror stories of dealing with people riding horses when I'm driving my carriage, I could keep you entertained all day long and well into the evening. Grab a beer and sit down 'cuz a horse meeting a bike ain't nothing compared to a horse meeting a carriage. Talk about seeing horses turn inside out and bolting for home. Lordy. I think most equestrians would rather encounter a thousand bikes than one carriage. Truthfully.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 12-06-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 02:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
No mammal outside of a human picks up after themselves, so don't see the concern here. You're in the outdoors, on a trail. Poop happens. Manure also degrades VERY quickly.
Sadly, people take horses on paved MUPs in Denver. There, the poop is a problem.
Old 12-07-16, 07:06 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Sadly, people take horses on paved MUPs in Denver. There, the poop is a problem.
I agree. Rude, too. Doesn't take but a minute to get off and kick the manure to the side of a paved pathway. My comment earlier about manure degrading fast was based on it being deposited on dirt. Not pavement.
Old 12-07-16, 07:15 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I always stop and dismount when horses approach. They are magnificent animals and I enjoy the brief interlude while they pass.
Old 12-11-16, 10:14 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone with an ounce of sense will give a very large easily spooked animal
a very wide birth.
The human RIDERS are supposed to be the smart ones-the horse is the DUMB ANIMAL
It IS a MTN bike
man up and bypass the trail if necessary
dont whine that it breaks the rules to leave the trail-push the bike if necessary

Just looked at Courtesy Rules on the east bank Mississippi levee path-just upriver from NOLA
1) walkers=joggers-have right of way over everyone else
2) bike riders=skaters only have right of way over horse riders
3)horse riders yield to everyone

Now exactly what yielding right of way means on a 10 foot wide asphalt path-pearched on somewhat steep sided levee-
My guess is Horses have to FRAP-not move off the path

Last edited by phoebeisis; 12-11-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 03:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Apparently horses are permitted on the local MUP, at least in parts. I've never seen one but I've seen the exhaust byproducts.

And I've encountered a few horses and riders while cycling in the country. No problems. We just give each other plenty of room.

It's really not difficult. Mostly it involves slowing down for a few moments.

If I knew a mountain bike trail was also shared with hikers and horses I'd consider it strictly a leisurely cruise path and keep my speed under 15 mph where I had a clear line of sight and under 10 mph where there's not a clear line of sight. Pretty much the same as on the blind curve sections of the local trails.
Old 12-11-16, 03:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used the sandy Equestrian trails of Golden Gate park , on my bike.. rarely saw any horses on them..
Old 12-11-16, 04:38 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
I agree. Rude, too. Doesn't take but a minute to get off and kick the manure to the side of a paved pathway. My comment earlier about manure degrading fast was based on it being deposited on dirt. Not pavement.
Kick it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.