Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Craigslist Deals

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 04-24-19, 03:26 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've been looking on Craigslist just for the fun of it to see whats out there for sale. I've noticed a few ads with fishy sounding similarities. They are ads for fairly new carbon road bikes priced at $800.00 which sounds pretty tempting. In all these ads, they list the size as 54cm on the title, then in the description they say it's 60cm.or something different. In all cases they also show a phone number in the item description. There is the standard email link through Craigslist as well. The ads have different locations, and all the phone numbers are different.
Good price, a size question to be asked with a handy phone number...It looks to me like they are phishing for phone numbers to say the least.
I'll pass on these "deals".
Old 04-25-19, 01:04 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Facebook Marketplace, that's where it's at. I've had too many flaky/weirdo contacts on CL. Everyone I know says to use FB and I've had generally good experiences, though it does depend on what you're buying/selling.
Old 04-26-19, 07:48 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
One time just for kicks I replied to an ad that sounded too good to be true. When I asked if I could take a look at it, the bike was suddenly in London but he'd ship it to me if I bought it. Yea, right.
Old 04-28-19, 07:15 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Facebook Marketplace, that's where it's at. I've had too many flaky/weirdo contacts on CL. Everyone I know says to use FB and I've had generally good experiences, though it does depend on what you're buying/selling.
Thanks, that sounds like a good suggestion. Trouble is, I gave up my Facebook account years. Maybe I'll try it again someday, but not at the present time.
Old 04-28-19, 07:23 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
One time just for kicks I replied to an ad that sounded too good to be true. When I asked if I could take a look at it, the bike was suddenly in London but he'd ship it to me if I bought it. Yea, right.
Mostly, I've seen that type of bs when I sell something. They want to send a "shipper" to pick up the item and pay by Western Union or some such nonsense. I don't even respond to those idiots. Sadly, I suppose there is someone who falls for that crap.
Old 04-29-19, 07:32 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by E53
Mostly, I've seen that type of bs when I sell something. They want to send a "shipper" to pick up the item and pay by Western Union or some such nonsense. I don't even respond to those idiots. Sadly, I suppose there is someone who falls for that crap.
Wait, did the same Nigerian prince contact you too? What a coincidence! He wired me an extra 5,000,000 (5 million) dollars for my troubles. I just had to send him my name, address, dob, SSN, credit card, bank card and PIN to get it.