Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mini Pumps for Trek Domane Storage Compartment

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mini Pumps for Trek Domane Storage Compartment

Old 09-17-20, 05:34 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
I purchased the Lezyne Pocket Drive ($30) mini pump which fits easily into the hole in the Domane downtube and is a quality pump for a pretty small price. I like being able to ride with no seat peak... I feel so "clean"

Old 09-17-20, 10:09 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
You see my problem then! I can't afford to be adding heavy bike pumps or a baker's dozen of CO2 cartridges on to an already obese bike I am a tad annoyed that the new Domane is so pudgy, but the comfort, semi-aero, and integration features won over buying a Trek Emonda (they're light weight climbing bike) or having to spend thousands more to get the slightly lighter Domane SLR.

I just spent the morning setting up my tires as tubeless... so in theory, I just scrubbed the weight of 2 tubes (kind of...)
How are you liking your tubeless setup? I went tubeless from the start and am happy. I’m riding on GP 5K, 32s. Almost 900 miles over light gravel, fresh chip and seal and decent asphalt with no issues.
Old 09-17-20, 10:22 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Ilbiker
How are you liking your tubeless setup? I went tubeless from the start and am happy. I’m riding on GP 5K, 32s. Almost 900 miles over light gravel, fresh chip and seal and decent asphalt with no issues.
I'm guesstimating I have around 2,000 miles on my tubeless tires so far and my experience is similar to yours, with the addition of a little gravel trail riding and riding through a few closed roads there were pretty rough There certainly is a learning curve to going tubeless, but now that I've gone tubeless I just don't see going back to tubes. Fortunately, I haven't ridden over anything that has actually punctured my tire, so I'm perhaps living in a dreamland at this time. But as far as air leaks I've had no issues and the 700x32c tires are wonderful.
Old 09-17-20, 04:14 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Tubes you say ?
Old 09-17-20, 04:44 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Glad I saw this thread @PoorInRichfield.

Two days ago on a ride I got a flat, no big deal. Put the tube in, went to fill it up with co2 and the head blew apart, co2 escaped making it useless. No big deal I have a second co2, I will just wait until another cyclist comes and borrow their head. Didn't take long, heavily traveled route, put my canister in his head and poof all the air escapes. His head lost the gasket and he didn't know it. Lucky for me his wife, who doesn't believe in changing what works was carrying a pump which worked like a charm.

It may be time to start carrying a pump like you inside my Trek Domane.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 09-17-20, 06:08 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by blakcloud
It may be time to start carrying a pump like you inside my Trek Domane.
Yup... I ditched CO2 years ago from similar experiences where things just didn't go right and CO2 left me stranded. Not to mention that even if CO2 works as it should, I found that one's tires lose pressure pretty quickly, especially in hot weather. I still remember one ride where I used both CO2 cartridges and by the time I got home my tire was nearly flat again even though it no longer had a hole in it.

Mini pumps aren't the perfect solution, but they don't "run out" (unless your arm falls off from pumping!) I'm only running 65 psi road wheel set and less than 50 psi on my gravel wheel set, so that makes a mini pump even more attractive. It's a lot easier to reach those pressures with a small pump then it was "in the old days" when I was rollin' 100+ psi tires.
Old 09-19-20, 12:57 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't ridden over anything that has actually punctured my tire, so I'm perhaps living in a dreamland at this time. But as far as air leaks I've had no issues and the 700x32c tires are wonderful.
Or, it could be the punctures were sealed up quickly enough that you didn't flat, and didn't notice.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-19-20, 01:29 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I carry the Specialized MTB Mini. Super short. They have a road version (just means high pressure) as well.

MTB Mini:
• 165mm length
• Presta and Schrader value support
• 170 strokes to 30psi
• 60 max PSI
• 101g weight
• $25

Air Tool Road Mini
• Presta only (use schrader adapter)
• 100 max PSI
• $25
Old 04-13-21, 10:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
So any other pumps besides the Lezyne pocket drive fit in the Domane downtube compartment?

I just recently purchased a new domane and my Topeak Racerocket HPX that I had on my previous bike does not fit in there.
Old 02-13-22, 04:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
So any other pumps besides the Lezyne pocket drive fit in the Domane downtube compartment?

I just recently purchased a new domane and my Topeak Racerocket HPX that I had on my previous bike does not fit in there.
i want to try the LEZYNE Pocket Drive HV Mini for fit & practical use, but I am not sure if that one would 100% fit.

Some questions I do have about it compared to the LEZYNE Pocket Drive HP are:
Is the effort going to be equal or harder with the HV versus the HP model.
If the effort is the same, yet not harder than the HP, would it be better to opt for the HV model even though the target PSI for the use is close to the max PSI cap of the pump? (inflation PSI is 85ish, pump capability is 90 PSI)
Old 02-13-22, 06:06 AM
PoorInRichfield

I'm not going to lie, pumping up a tire to nearly 100 PSI with a mini pump is going to be difficult and take a long time regardless of the brand.

As the OP, the Lezyne pump works well for me with the size tires I run. The max pressure I need is 65 PSI for my road wheels and 45 PSI for my gravel wheels according to Silca's tire pressure calculator. Not only that, I'm running tubeless and fortunately I haven't had to fix a flat for the past two years. The frame pump is an emergency back-up that I hope to never use.
Old 02-13-22, 08:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I purchased the Lezyne Pocket Drive ($30) mini pump which fits easily into the hole in the Domane downtube and is a quality pump for a pretty small price. I like being able to ride with no seat peak... I feel so "clean"

Does that fit with the roll?
Old 02-13-22, 12:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
I'm not going to lie, pumping up a tire to nearly 100 PSI with a mini pump is going to be difficult and take a long time regardless of the brand.

As the OP, the Lezyne pump works well for me with the size tires I run. The max pressure I need is 65 PSI for my road wheels and 45 PSI for my gravel wheels according to Silca's tire pressure calculator. Not only that, I'm running tubeless and fortunately I haven't had to fix a flat for the past two years. The frame pump is an emergency back-up that I hope to never use.
I find my Silca Tattico mini-pump to be the best compromise. It's a bit bigger than your average mini-pump, but still just about small enough to go in a jersey pocket. But it might not fit in your Domane storage compartment. I have mine mounted with the bottle cage mount. What I like about the Tattico is that it pumps more like a full-sized frame pump and doesn't get much harder with increased pressure/heat.

Old 02-13-22, 07:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
most pumps get much harder to pump after a certain higher PSI, often I found that to be 70 PSI. Length of a pump limits what can stow in the IFS compartment. A mini morph will not fit.
Old 02-13-22, 08:12 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The rattle would drive me nuts. Hopefully, it doesn't happen.
Old 02-13-22, 11:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I thought you were riding tubeless??? if you are riding tubeless, the chances of needing to pump up a tube is not worth the worry, which is why I have CO2 with an extra cartridge for an emergency, but have found over the last 18 months, I have had to help people that do not have a pump or co2 when they have a flat.

Old 02-14-22, 08:11 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Does that fit with the roll?
Yes, it fits in the lower section and the roll goes in the upper section on my Domane. I carry CO2 and a tube in the roll, with the pump as backup.

Originally Posted by seypat
The rattle would drive me nuts. Hopefully, it doesn't happen.
Haven't had any rattle with mine, though I did stow the pocket drive pump in a microfiber sunglasses pouch so there's a lanyard to grab it with. I've also heard of folks using a velcro/fabric chainstay protector to wrap the pump.