Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Older XX1 vs. New GX

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Older XX1 vs. New GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 07:26 PM
ttusomeone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Older XX1 vs. New GX

I'm looking for opinions. I was fortunate enough to get a brand new SRAM GX Eagle groupset given to me. My wife's bike currently has the first generation XX1 group on it. Is the new GX group better than the first generation XX1? I know technology advances and trickles down, so I'm assuming at the very least it's just as good, and better considering new versus used. Before I went through the trouble to swap groupsets, I wanted to get the group's opinion.

My bike has newer XX1 on it so it wouldn't be worth it to me to swap what's on my bike.
Old 06-18-20, 08:15 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I'm looking for opinions. I was fortunate enough to get a brand new SRAM GX Eagle groupset given to me. My wife's bike currently has the first generation XX1 group on it. Is the new GX group better than the first generation XX1? I know technology advances and trickles down, so I'm assuming at the very least it's just as good, and better considering new versus used. Before I went through the trouble to swap groupsets, I wanted to get the group's opinion.

My bike has newer XX1 on it so it wouldn't be worth it to me to swap what's on my bike.
Is the XX1 the 11 spd? If so and it's enough gears for her there's no reason to change IMO. The group as you know is really light and shifts great.
Old 06-18-20, 08:29 PM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Is the XX1 the 11 spd? If so and it's enough gears for her there's no reason to change IMO. The group as you know is really light and shifts great.
Yeah it’s the 11 speed.
Old 06-18-20, 08:40 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
Yeah it’s the 11 speed.
Id only consider it an upgrade if she needs 50t in the rear
Old 06-18-20, 09:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
We (that would be my youngest kid and my wallet) had terrible luck with GX 12 speed rear derailleurs. He finally upgraded to SLX 12-speed.

I think if it is the 11 speed, it might be more robust. But don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Old 06-19-20, 09:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Features like gear ratios and number of shifts aren't really hard to make, so they trickle down, but the really clever stuff that makes it much lighter, and a little more efficient, does not. The big differences in weight/quality are in the carbon cranks and the ultralight x-dome cassettes of the higher groups. The shifters and derailleurs have ball bearings and other nice bits that make them run smoother and shift easier.

The 11 and 12 speed groups aren't very compatible. The derailleur cages are bigger, the chain is narrower, so're the chainring teeth, it obviously needs a 12 speed shifter. About the only part of the groupset you might hope to keep is the crank.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-19-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 09:44 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I'd guess they'd be similar enough to where it won't make a material difference on the trail. My consideration would be whether the XX1 kit is getting old (play in the parallogram, other issues), then just the newness of the GX will help, but otherwise, I'd just leave it as it is.

So how does one have a GX Eagle groupset gifted to them, anyway?! Pls send me the signup link!
Old 06-30-20, 09:22 AM
lmbiker13

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Bad Boy 2, 2017 Giant Talon 2, 2011 Cannondale Trail Sl4, 2011 Fuji Reveal 1.0, 2002 Kristel Norba Pro, 1998 Saracen Geiga, 2019 Trinx Navigator, 80's Trek 1400, 80's Rossin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having tested a GX Eagle kit and a 1st gen XX1 kit...I can tell that the narrower cog spacing in the Eagle kits makes a positive difference in shifting speed, though not noticeable enough to the average rider.
Old 06-30-20, 09:24 AM
lmbiker13

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Bad Boy 2, 2017 Giant Talon 2, 2011 Cannondale Trail Sl4, 2011 Fuji Reveal 1.0, 2002 Kristel Norba Pro, 1998 Saracen Geiga, 2019 Trinx Navigator, 80's Trek 1400, 80's Rossin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get the GX kit with the carbon cranks? Haven't tested that out yet so can't say how it performs against the XX1 in terms of pedaling efficiency.