Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does bottom bracket width matter on a single speed conversion?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-12-20, 07:39 PM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Assuming the chain line is straight, does the bottom bracket width make much of a difference? I ask because I recently replaced a 118mm with a 122.5mm, since it's what I had on hand. I moved the spacers on the freehub to adjust the chain line accordingly. I was going to post an image to show how much spindle is visible between the BB shell and the crank arms, but the forum won't allow it.
Old 08-12-20, 08:30 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Not really, it sound like you are using a freehub with a single cog and a bunch of spacers. If you were using a single cog freewheel it could be a problem.
Having an arrow straight chainline is not necessarily crucial to have but it will tend to wear out the chain a bit quicker.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 08-12-20, 08:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
To make use of a particular random selection of parts -- Bendix hub and whatever BB and crank were on hand -- I dished the rear wheel by a few mm.
Old 08-13-20, 06:21 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If youwere using a freewheel or track hub, the BB width would matter. Since you are using a freehub with spacers, it doesn't matter.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-13-20, 07:11 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
To make use of a particular random selection of parts -- Bendix hub and whatever BB and crank were on hand -- I dished the rear wheel by a few mm.
Yeah I just did this sort of thing last weekend. Undished the rear wheel by roughly 6 mm to change the chainline from running a 7-speed to a single speed. A 5-speed would line up nicely now, too. OLD is still about 126 mm.

Funny thing is that in doing so, a rim that I was somewhat annoyed by is now running truer and rounder again. Plus it’s such a blast running the bike SS. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-13-20, 07:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The advantages of "doing it wrong." I spread my cheap steel frame from 120mm to 135mm, and run a set of MTB wheels-- many spacers on the hub to set the chainline. Having to set the chainline from the crank seems like a hassle-- obviously doable, but not as easy as having a stack of freehub spacers to choose from.
Old 08-13-20, 08:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
Assuming the chain line is straight, does the bottom bracket width make much of a difference? I ask because I recently replaced a 118mm with a 122.5mm, since it's what I had on hand. I moved the spacers on the freehub to adjust the chain line accordingly. I was going to post an image to show how much spindle is visible between the BB shell and the crank arms, but the forum won't allow it.
You are talking BB spindles they are chosen with the crank arms used..

the BB shell width ... 70, (Italy) 68 (most others) 73 (mountain bikes)